15 replies to this topic

#1 Dan9791

Dan9791

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

I've read several other threads regarding minis bogging down/misfiring/generally going nuts in the rain. Now from what i can gather people generally say squirt a bit of WD into the dizzy cap and problem should be solved. I took the mini out for the first time in very light rain a few days ago and with in 3 or 4 minutes i couldn't get over 30mph and even getting there was a push. Pulled over, got the WD, popped off the dizzy cap and its completely dry, though i gave it a squirt just in case. Put it back on and tried again. Same issue.

Now the engine sounds fine idling, revs fine, but as soon as you try and drive you get the above symptoms. If it's not the dizzy getting wet whats my next option to check when it happens again + a fix to get going again? I do have a weather guard which i'll be fitting tonight when i get the car back from an oil leak being sorted, but i'll be driving 250miles with the risk of getting caught out by showers on the way.

You're talking to an idiot so please explain as if i just wrote this message with a crayon.

Cheers

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:13 AM

How old are the leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm?

#3 Dan9791

Dan9791

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:17 AM

How old are the leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm?

Though i couldn't give you a time frame when they were fitted as i haven't had the car long, all 3 look to be relatively new and in v.good condition.

#4 Dan9791

Dan9791

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

Also i should state once the car was left over night at my destination it ran fine again - it's not an ongoing issue that hasn't resolved since it was driven in the wet.

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:45 AM

The inside of the distributor cap needs to be completely dry and free of anything, so squirting WD40 around won't help ...

Dampness gets between the leads and dissy cap/plus caps and where the ht leads are close to metal, any liquid will cause the spark to jump and take the shortest route it can to earth ... which isn't usually the ht lead and plug!

Have you got a rain deflector behind the grille? If not, I'd start there ....

Edited by gazza82, 01 July 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:11 PM

Most of the time, I've found the problem to be the boots on the leads 'leaking'.

#7 Dzmarc

Dzmarc

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:28 PM

Exactly what Moke said. 

It happens to some cars and it doesn't to others, weird phenomenon. 

Saying that I presume your car does not have the shield to prevent water getting near the leads / dizzy?

I would recommend buying one, or adapting your own, should soon stop this issue. 

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:39 PM

... or the LT wiring.

Just go through every lead 'n wire connected to the dizzy & coil. Make sure they're clean & the insulation isn't split; the connectors aren't corroded and a good fit. You can use Vaseline to protect the contacts. Try to arrange so water drains away from the connectors along the wiring.

#9 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Use the best quality leads you can.  I find WD40 is an 'OK' all rounder but not very good at anything;  there are other much better water-displacers out there.

#10 Dan9791

Dan9791

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. As i said i'll be getting a rain guard fitted when i have the car back, though how well do they work against spray off the roads?

... or the LT wiring.

Just go through every lead 'n wire connected to the dizzy & coil. Make sure they're clean & the insulation isn't split; the connectors aren't corroded and a good fit. You can use Vaseline to protect the contacts. Try to arrange so water drains away from the connectors along the wiring.

I'll do this first thing in the morning, as far as Vaseline goes, am i literally just putting it around any point that something connects to another to stop the water getting in? 

Use the best quality leads you can.  I find WD40 is an 'OK' all rounder but not very good at anything;  there are other much better water-displacers out there.

What would you recommend instead of WD40 when i'm in a situation where it's conked out in the wet at the side of the road and need to give it a squirt in various places?

Most of the time, I've found the problem to be the boots on the leads 'leaking'.

Is there a remedy to this or is it new leads and/or hope the new rain guard keeps them dry?

#11 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Leads are a service item, they need replaced from time to time.

I'd chuck a new decent quality set on

#12 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

Above all, its vital that HT leads are in good working order, replace if you dont know how old are them. There the very first place to collect water.

Back to the spray question:

Id avoid spraying WD40 over coil connections, it will be only good to clean stuff.

Use vaseline instead to keep water proof, on LT terminals will work a lot better just make sure they're a TIGHT fit

Also, remove the dizzy cap, clean it with WD40, dry it with a clean rag, the smear a little touch of vaseline on the lip where it meets the dizzy body, will keep the dizzy internals nice and dry.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

WD40 is good at dispersing water, but it can also make dirt stick to stuff too.

The other thing to be mindful about WD40, is that it makes rubber rot, so be careful what you spray it on to. I would think most HT Lead Boots would be Silicon these days, however there are still some rubber ones about.

I did some tests a few years back while looking for decent HT Leads and Cap, I may have some photos.

Edited by Moke Spider, 01 July 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

Back when there were thousands of Minis being used daily we didn't seem to have this problem. Yes, sometimes after a continuous wet period there could be some mis-firing.

I used to do between 25000 and 30000 miles per annum in my Minis from about 1963 until 1965 and I don't think I ever had a water/ignition problem.

For rallying we used to waterproof the ignition using a non-conductive silicone grease plastered onto the distributor cap with a good spraying with ignition sealer and I still do that on my Minis. I've driven through deep fords on rallies, along really wet lanes and forest tracks with no issues and I don't use the shield as it impedes access to the engine should I need it in a hurry.

Just make sure the leads, plugs and connections are in top condition and correctly water-proofed.

#15 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

You could always do the old trick of putting a rubber glove over the dizzy with the HT leads coming out the fingers, sealed with cable ties.

Phil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users