#1 TheHippo

TheHippo

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

I am looking to install an electric fuel pump, most likely a Facet Cube, on my standard road 998 running twin HS2s.

I have done a bit of research in to it (although not very much yet to be honest) but I just thought I would seek advice/guidance/information from you knowledgeable lot!

I am aware, so far, that the pump needs to be mounted as close as possible to the tank with a pre-filter between the two. In this respect - is there any reason why I can't mount the pump in the spare wheel well in the boot?

My main question, really, is what pump do I need to go for?

Also, is there anything that prevents me from running a braided fuel line inside the cabin?

Any helpful comments welcome.

Many thanks,

Dan

TheHippo

#2 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

You need to mount the fuel pump ( if going for facet cube) at a 45° angle, so the spare wheel is a nono.

Mount it in the subframe, that's where they're mounted as standard.

For wiring you'll need a switched live ( or a permanent live with a switch in between in). You'll need to wire in a relay and a inertia switch ( cuts of the fuel pump in case of accident).

Inertia switch should be placed between the live that comes from the relay and goes to the pump, it's the only safe spot to put one.

The pump will earth through the body, so no need for complicated wiring :)

here is mine mounted : 1znqv6t.jpg

#3 TheHippo

TheHippo

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

You need to mount the fuel pump ( if going for facet cube) at a 45° angle, so the spare wheel is a nono.

Mount it in the subframe, that's where they're mounted as standard.

For wiring you'll need a switched live ( or a permanent live with a switch in between in). You'll need to wire in a relay and a inertia switch ( cuts of the fuel pump in case of accident).

Inertia switch should be placed between the live that comes from the relay and goes to the pump, it's the only safe spot to put one.

The pump will earth through the body, so no need for complicated wiring :)

here is mine mounted : 1znqv6t.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

Could I not just fabricate a bracket to mount it at 45deg in the boot?

Useful info about wiring and inertia switch there, thank you. I remember reading about the inertia switch.

Good to see a photo.

What carb/engine are you running, and what pump is it (in terms of flow rate/PSI)?

Thanks,

Dan

TheHippo

#4 chuffed

chuffed

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

Why does it need to be mounted at 45deg? I havent heard of that before and i'm looking at attaching mine soon!

#5 TheHippo

TheHippo

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

Why does it need to be mounted at 45deg? I havent heard of that before and i'm looking at attaching mine soon!

Having myself wondered the same I did a quick search and I think what Dusky meant was just that the outlet is supposed to be higher than the inlet. Mounting at 45deg satisfies this. The Facet website has following statement;

'The fuel pump should be mounted with the outlet above the inlet. This will help with eliminate vapor lock issues. Never located the pump so the outlet is below the inlet. Horizontal mounting will not effect fuel delivery performance.'

So I'm now wondering if I can, indeed, mount it on the boot floor... Having said that, I will probably still look at fabricating a bracket.

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:15 PM

The outlet above the inlet part is important for the pump's valves to seal and prevent the pump from loosing its prime.

The 45 degree mounting suggestion should be on the installation sheet supplied with the pump.  The following is pure hearsay.  I was told that installing the pump at 45 degrees is suggested to prolong the life of the pump internals.  There is a steel slug that oscillates back and forth in the pump body to move the fuel.  Supposedly the components wear better and last longer when the pump is at an angle.  

There are MANY different Facet cube pumps.  When using SU carbs, look for a pump delivering between 1.5 and 3.5 PSI.  SU carbs really perform best between 2-3 PSI.  If you are building a street engine, ANY of the Facet pumps will supply more than enough fuel.  Don't worry about the flow rate.

#7 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

Hi

The 45 degree suggestion was indeed on the instruction sheet, so I did it ( so atleast i can claim in the warrants when she fails)

Running a 90-100 bhp 1330 on a single hiff atm. 3psi road pump

#8 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

Why run the fuel lines inside the car? If you get a leak or split, you'll be sitting in an explosive atmosphere surrounded by non Ex-rated electrical equipment waiting to be fried. That's why these lines are run outside - better ventilation, and you might get out if the fire is under the floor or in the engine bay.

#9 JimmyB

JimmyB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Manawatu

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Just reviving this old thread, I'm looking at doing a facet install soon and looking at Dusky's picture this will be how I will install mine. I have one question though. The inline pre-filter that I got from mini spares with my pump is a 5/16" and I cant see a 1/4" one to match the hose from the tank. Has the hose in Dusky's pic just been stretched and forced over the 5/16" filter or is it a 1/4" fitting on his filter. 

Cheers

#10 JimmyB

JimmyB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

Also is 1/4" fuel line adequate for a 'fast road' 1310. Will probably produce around 90-100hp when done.

#11 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

I would say my fuel hose is 5/16" standard, or atleast, that's how I bought the car, very close to 8mm. It has a new 5/16" hose on it too ( from tank to pump). Could be that newer ranks had different (bigger) outlets?(91' mini)
Worst case scenario you could buy a 1/4 to 5/16" adapter, I've used some of eBay on other cars and they were only 2-3£ .
I can't see 1/4" fuel line restricting your power, in the end you'll have the copper or metal line under the body restricting your flow anyway.

#12 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

I fitted an ECCO pump bought from Leacyclassics. They are made in New Zealand and fit in exactly the same position in the rear subframe as the old SU pumps. They provide the correct pressure for an A series engine.
Your Facet pump is probably going to need a fuel pressure regulator fitting on the bulkhead as they produce more pressure than is needed. When I did my research I gave up looking for a low pressure Facet.

#13 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:10 PM

Must've been a while ago?
The facet cube I'm using provides 3psi and 12gph

#14 JimmyB

JimmyB

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

I'm in NZ whistler, that could have been an idea. nevertheless i have my facet pump and an inline regulator to fit before the carb. I'll stick with my 1/4" fuel line and just use an adapter before the pump. Thanks guys for your help.

#15 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

Must've been a while ago?
The facet cube I'm using provides 3psi and 12gph

It was about 18 months ago and I found conflicting ratings between different websites and Facet themselves so I gave up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users