12 replies to this topic

#1 OllyGW

OllyGW

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hey all, i know quite a few people have already started threads like these but i couldn't find one that helped me out.

Anyway, so i have a 1978 1000 and yesterday morning i went to start her up and she cranked over once, then i tried again and got no response. Had a fiddle with some wires to check connection but seems there is no power going to the starter motor. Tried again but nothing. I checked the solenoid and there is 12volts going in but couldn't find any volts coming out towards the starter, I'm fairly sure its nots the battery as the lights and stereo all work well. Also there doesn't seem to be any clicking noise or anything, no sounds. I'm fairly new to minis and electrics so anything would help!

Could it be that the solenoid has given up? or maybe a lose earth?  

Thanks in advance, Olly. 

#2 henryS

henryS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC(?)

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

If you have a multi-meter it's worth checking the resistance from the engine to the body to test the earth connection.

There should be a 'control' wire from the ignition switch to the starter motor solenoid which lets it send power to the motor. Check this has voltage when turning the key.

If no voltage, trace back to the key and check along the way.

If there is a voltage (and let others correct me) but it could mean a faulty solenoid?

#3 ashleyread1

ashleyread1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: London and Surrey MOC

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

i had this before it was a faulty solenoid simple change. 

#4 OllyGW

OllyGW

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

If you have a multi-meter it's worth checking the resistance from the engine to the body to test the earth connection.

There should be a 'control' wire from the ignition switch to the starter motor solenoid which lets it send power to the motor. Check this has voltage when turning the key.

If no voltage, trace back to the key and check along the way.

If there is a voltage (and let others correct me) but it could mean a faulty solenoid?

Checked the Control wire you mentioned when turing the key and got a voltage. Guessing its the solenoid then. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but i read on another topic that you can short it by placing a screw driver across the two main terminals? If so would this allow current to the starter?, effectively starting the engine? 

#5 henryS

henryS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

I personally wouldn't short it with a screwdriver.....do you have jump leads? a spare battery?

leave the key in ignition turned to "ON" (out of gear etc etc!) and you could use a spare battery or just jump leads to power the starter motor independant of the solenoid.

Worth a try...but it does sound like the solenoid may well be gone.

#6 OllyGW

OllyGW

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

I personally wouldn't short it with a screwdriver.....do you have jump leads? a spare battery?

leave the key in ignition turned to "ON" (out of gear etc etc!) and you could use a spare battery or just jump leads to power the starter motor independant of the solenoid.

Worth a try...but it does sound like the solenoid may well be gone.

How would i go about using jump leads? and also, if the solenoid is actually ok is their anything else that could cause this? i mean its probably best to replace it anyway but could it be something else?

#7 henryS

henryS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:17 PM

Re the Jump Leads, if you don't have a spare battery, only need one lead from the battery terminal on the solenoid to the large terminal on the starter motor.

If you have a spare battery then a negative lead to the engine block/earth strap and the positive lead you could temporarily touch against the starter motor terminal.

If the solenoid control wire is providing power at the solenoid, and the battery is providing power to the solenoid also, then I would check the resistance/continuity of the wire from solenoid to start motor?

#8 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

Check you have 12v on the White/red wire on the solenoid small terminal, with the key held over in the start position, if you do and the solenoid is not clicking its either dead or you have a bad earth between the solenoid mounting to earth

#9 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

I vote bridge the terminals (I use opened pliers with insulated handles to prevent any arcing to earth, from nut to nut, to prevent damaging the threads) Do it in one positive movement to limit arcing. If no joy, follow KCs advice.

#10 OllyGW

OllyGW

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

Check you have 12v on the White/red wire on the solenoid small terminal, with the key held over in the start position, if you do and the solenoid is not clicking its either dead or you have a bad earth between the solenoid mounting to earth

It is not clicking and am getting power to the white/red wire. Where abouts is the earth for the solenoid? is it a wire or?

#11 OllyGW

OllyGW

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:43 AM

Okay, so i used the screw driver to bridge and she started up. Does this mean i need a new solenoid? 

#12 henryS

henryS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

Sounds like it to me. Should be a fairly cheap fix too.

If it starts with the screw driver, that suggests the solenoid is not connecting the battery feed to the starter when the red/white wire sends it a power signal.

I've not taken one apart but you could take the solenoid off and inspect inside it for damage....or just replace it.

I don't know which solenoid you have but it could be as cheap as £10 to replace (that's a price I found for a remote located solenoid on the MiniSpares site)

#13 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

If the solenoids not clicking put a jumper wire onto the metal bracket and onto a good earth, if it clicks then its a bad earth where its screwed to the body, if it doesn't the solenoids faulty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users