#181 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

That is looking nice now, but I do like white cars!

I'm leaning that way myself!

#182 72gt

72gt

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:27 PM

Looks absolutely brilliant, you are a few steps ahead of me , I can use your rebuild pictures as a reference for mine !

Edited by 72gt, 18 January 2019 - 07:28 PM.

#183 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:35 PM

Looks absolutely brilliant, you are a few steps ahead of me , I can use your rebuild pictures as a reference for mine !

Thank you! I often check on your build for inspiration on this car  =]

#184 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 07:21 PM

I haven't spent too much time on this car in the last couple of months - work commitments and time just haven't been on my side. I also wanted the paint to 'cure' slowly before I start adding bits. I want to polish the car at some stage too before I add too much. It's still sat under the plastic cover that was provided by the paint shop, so it's dust free and protected.

Anyway, in the meantime, I made a start on the upper control arms. I started with some really grimy parts :

IZtMQlL.jpg?1

While cleaning, I noticed that the LHS arm was quite badly worn where the knuckle locates, which necessitated the need for a replacement. I just wasn't happy from a safety standpoint. I found a suitable replacement from Doug in Pinetown and fitted new kits to both arms, along with new shock pins and grease nipples. I reused the original rubber dust shields rather than the new items. I don't trust the quality of rubber products and the originals were near mint, so it was a no-brainer.

I ended up with these :

wVXJDBC.jpg?1

And lastly, today, I started fitting the tail lamps. New screws and seals were used here, but the quality of the lamp to body seal leaves much to be desired . . .

NCnZNo9.jpg

#185 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 11:20 AM

Hopefully the taillight rubbers last. I've bought a set of them too and I'd be pretty upset if they don't. I suppose an alternative would be to measure them up and buy rubber sheets and cut them to size? 

#186 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

Hopefully the taillight rubbers last. I've bought a set of them too and I'd be pretty upset if they don't. I suppose an alternative would be to measure them up and buy rubber sheets and cut them to size? 

The way the lamp to body seal is shaped, I doubt flat pieces of rubber would work. I just wish more effort was put into the quality.

#187 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

The way the lamp to body seal is shaped, I doubt flat pieces of rubber would work. I just wish more effort was put into the quality.

Are there any other alternatives for this particular seal? 

#188 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

Good originals.

#189 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:31 AM

Good originals.

I guess those would be very difficult to find. Sigh. 

#190 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:13 PM

It's been a while, but I decided to try and make some progress today. I did a 'light' refurb on the steering column. I decided not to repaint the column and brackets, just give everything a nice coat of polish to give it some life again. I did the same with the cowling pieces, which were in surprisingly good condition. Lastly, I fitted some new bushes into the column; the old ones were a little worn, with the nylon bush being quite brittle. Replacing the bushes was a rather frustrating job :

B09zUKt.jpg

#191 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:01 AM

I like the leather wrapping on the steering wheel. It's been done very well. 

#192 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:18 AM

I like the leather wrapping on the steering wheel. It's been done very well. 

Still the original covering that's received a lot of care by me  ;D

#193 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:31 PM

Pulled finger and made a little progress on this today. Fitted up the brake and fuel lines, before throwing the steering rack on. Nothing has been tightened up yet - need to put the steering column and wheel in first. Decided to fit a new front to rear brake pipe. Quite tempted to replace all the hard lines now. Just need to make some progress on the front frame so I can fit that as well :

rM27057.jpg

#194 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

• Members
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 04:14 PM

2020 didn't see much progress on this car. The front subframe was supposed to be my lockdown project, but other work/cars got in the way of that. Made some decent progress in terms of finishing the subframe assembly :

cVTUayq.jpg

I do need to get some split washers for the CVs and have a new brake hardline made up, but otherwise it was time to fit to the car :

Pvj9X8z.jpg

I haven't tightened anything up properly yet - I need to get some washers for the new mounting bolts that I thought I had had already. There's something about a straight valence and a subframe that isn't body colour :

VvfxEfi.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users