18 replies to this topic

#1 SMP

SMP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

What sort of premium have some of you not so young chaps been quoted. Carole Nash have quoted £163 for my mini sky fitted with a 1275, 13's, lcb, etc. This is fully comp , 5000 miles.

I was hoping to be able to get it lower this time as my full ncb is available from my daily due to having company car. But Carole Nash don't do ncb on the classic car policy.

I see that kernowcooper got his for £103 but that was 2000 miles and almost a year ago.

Want to know if it's worth wasting a couple of hours ringing round. I know that some of the younger chaps would love that sort of premium I've been quoted, but my wife's kuga is up for renewal and we're getting figures of £149 for two of us - 10k miles per year !

Thanks.

#2 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm just shy of £200 with Adrian Flux on an agreed value, 8000 miles commuting and occasional business use. I'd be impressed if you got much better than you're on.

#3 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

Adrian flux on 3000 miles with two pages of mods was £68 for me last time, most mods were suspension/ interior but stage one kit on engine.

#4 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

Adrian flux on 3000 miles with two pages of mods was £68 for me last time, most mods were suspension/ interior but stage one kit on engine.

I stand corrected. I'm paying too much!

#5 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:34 PM

I stand corrected. I'm paying too much!
you need to haggle, they always come up with some stupid price but just keep at them and it drops. Mine was agreed value, commuting to single place of work but no recovery as I have RAC anyway, 42 year old with Max no claims on other car. I think they started at around £130 but I just laughed.

#6 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

Adrian Flux on 3000 miles, mods of alloys, steering wheel, and interior, with no ncb, cost me £120

#7 SMP

SMP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

I think that because mine was originally a 998 and is now a 1275 that bumps it up - even though it already has 8.4 discs. I remember when I sorned the cooper I was surprised that the modified sky cost more to insure. Anyway I'll give it a go - although looking at all the figures above it looks as though the annual mileage is the big swinger:

2000 miles - £102
3000 miles - £68
3000 miles - £120
5000 miles - £163
8000 miles - £200.

Cheers
steve

#8 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:56 PM

It is a big factor, my Capri project is only £54 based on 1000 miles but will be a lot more once it's finished an I want to use it properly, I think that doubled to go up to 3000 but wasn't that much more every thousand after but it does add up.

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

I think that because mine was originally a 998 and is now a 1275 that bumps it up - even though it already has 8.4 discs. I remember when I sorned the cooper I was surprised that the modified sky cost more to insure. Anyway I'll give it a go - although looking at all the figures above it looks as though the annual mileage is the big swinger:

2000 miles - £102
3000 miles - £68
3000 miles - £120
5000 miles - £163
8000 miles - £200.

Cheers
steve

Want to hazard a guess at why the cheapest for me is... £250 per year and upwards for 5000 miles, 10 years no claims (on the mini), 998, standard no mods...

#10 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

2000 miles - £102
3000 miles - £68
3000 miles - £120
5000 miles - £163
8000 miles - £200.

Cheers
steve

Want to hazard a guess at why the cheapest for me is... £250 per year and upwards for 5000 miles, 10 years no claims (on the mini), 998, standard no mods...
I'd guess where the car is kept. Your profession can often be a big factor.

No-one has mentioned their excess either. That often has a large impact.

At the end of the day, they're trying to calculate the probability you'll make a claim and how big such a claim is likely to be. They then onviously want to make a profit overall, so there are thousands of factors at play.

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

2000 miles - £102
3000 miles - £68
3000 miles - £120
5000 miles - £163
8000 miles - £200.

Cheers
steve

At the end of the day, they're trying to calculate the probability you'll make a claim and how big such a claim is likely to be. They then onviously want to make a profit overall, so there are thousands of factors at play.

Partly right, occupation unemployed. Some won't even bother insuring, but if I was working i's get it as cheap as £68 per year.

Hence why it's assumed I'm more likely to have an accident, not pay my premium even if that's paid in full upfront and won't be able to afford to maintain the vehicle with things like tyres etc.

With my premium being £250, plus the eases of £450 on a 31 year old mini with no agreed value, it would be cheaper for me not to bother with insurance (although I am as I have no choice) as the 6 points and £200 fine for not having insures seams like a better deal.

#12 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:34 PM

Can't recall exactly what mine is but one is about £200, Sidewalk 1.3i with a few mods listed, 5000 miles with business included and a discount for full NCB (even though they don't recognise it officially), age 40. The sticking point for me is the fact that the car is not at my home address and the postcode is considered highish risk. My 998 Elf is about £120 for the same, your guess is as good as mine on that one, never got a good reason off them.

#13 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

Can't recall exactly what mine is but one is about £200, Sidewalk 1.3i with a few mods listed, 5000 miles with business included and a discount for full NCB (even though they don't recognise it officially), age 40. The sticking point for me is the fact that the car is not at my home address and the postcode is considered highish risk. My 998 Elf is about £120 for the same, your guess is as good as mine on that one, never got a good reason off them.

the mini is classed as a higher risk of theft, I think they are one of the most stolen classics sadly.

#14 DFulton

DFulton

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

2000 miles - £102
3000 miles - £68
3000 miles - £120
5000 miles - £163
8000 miles - £200.

Cheers
steve

Partly right, occupation unemployed. Some won't even bother insuring, but if I was working i's get it as cheap as £68 per year.

Hence why it's assumed I'm more likely to have an accident, not pay my premium even if that's paid in full upfront and won't be able to afford to maintain the vehicle with things like tyres etc.

With my premium being £250, plus the eases of £450 on a 31 year old mini with no agreed value, it would be cheaper for me not to bother with insurance (although I am as I have no choice) as the 6 points and £200 fine for not having insures seams like a better deal.

As another motorist on the road who you could potentially run into (please don't!), I'm grateful you took out an insurance policy ;-)

#15 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:36 PM

I moved to a nicer area and all our vehicles went up when we rang to update the details, they said that because payouts to residents from that area cost more the premiums are more, basically even if a person lives in a nice area yet has a bump in the centre of a rough town the stats show big payouts going to the nice postcode because the people from the posh area have more expensive cars. More likely they think the people from the posh area will cough up the extra cash!

Edit to say we dont have any expensive cars either,lol.

Edited by CityEPete, 21 July 2015 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users