61 replies to this topic

#1 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

I know this is a huge undertaking, I found it and was planning to use it for parts, but I have become attached.  She's pretty solid aside from the floor.  One of the biggest things is I have the Motor heritage cert and its in the realm one of the first 20k  Minis.  I'm surprised and how solid it is.  the panels all look to be original as you can see the farina grey and red oxide. Is this a crazy undertaking? the only part that worries me is the what to do with the rain gutter, the other panels needing replacement are straight forward enough.

****All comments, suggestions,critisizms welcome*****

AS found:

196020lhd20mini_zpsgb2zcghw.jpg

the floor is gone I know, but it is original

Edited by jchomme, 08 February 2018 - 07:07 PM.

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

Looks a nice project have you any other parts as 59 cars have quite a few unique features. You need to do some research if wanting to restore original spec.

#3 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

Looks a nice project have you any other parts as 59 cars have quite a few unique features. You need to do some research if wanting to restore original spec.

Thanks.  I just bought the single pressing floor from a someone who sold his project along.  I think I will be working with m-machine because they seem to have the most mk1 stuff and the quality is really nice.  They take a little bit of hounding though.  I'm always on the lookout for used parts aswell.  

Lucky, I have some of the original  major elements like glass,wheels,engine,petrol tank. 1959-register has been where ive gotten most of my info from so far. 

#4 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

Looks like an awesome project and would be a shame to use it for parts. Watching this one :) it's in better shape than a lot of these Cars on British soil...

#5 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

Looks excellent I love it when they start of like this and suddenly turn into what they once was. Can't wait for more Piccys 😀

#6 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:50 AM

engine out.  need to strip everything off of the shell, remove the doors and build a spit. 

Edited by jchomme, 26 June 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#7 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:34 AM

Looking good, engine looks original to me :) how hard is it to get panels and parts for minis over your way? Just wondering thats all? :)

#8 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:26 PM

I get panels from Somerford, BM, DSN or M-machine Everything is less VAT and shipping isn't too bad so cost is ok.  Oddly, I just bought almost a complete custom mk1 m-machine floor from someone only a few hundred miles away.

So, the engine number matches the chassis number and it isnt seized, so might be lucky here.

Edited by jchomme, 26 June 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#9 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:28 PM

Looking great 😀

#10 phil hill

phil hill

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:56 AM

Looks like a great little car you have there.

On the rain gutter issue, I'd try to neutralise the existing corrosion as much as you can.  Bilt-Hamber do a really great product here called Deox-C which you can get in a gel formulation - not sure if you can source something similar your side of the water but that's where I'd start.  Then have a go with a wire wheel and see how stable the base metal is and go from there.

If it's got lots of it's original MK1 features try to retain as many of them as you can.  Hit the MK1-Forum : http://mk1-forum.net/ for advise and inspiriation !!

Best of luck.

Phil.

#11 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

Why not get it chemically derusted? It gets inside and out.

#12 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

Looks good glad it's easy enough for you to be able to get your hands on the parts :)

#13 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:02 AM

Been doing alot of HW and still ultra confused about rust prevention and priming and body work....... :confused:

So, instead of going in circles,today I decided to do a few things.  Underestimated how long it would be to take everything off.  Good thing is it is almost bare.  I am still finding the metal is in great shape, aside from the floor.  I bet if I slapped the 2 floor halves in and put in the drive train, this thing would be on rails.  Also, ordered more panels today.  Yesterday, got another engine stand for my 2 engine stand rotisserie.  

I want to get the body braced, on the spit, and the metal work done, then prime/paint from inside out.  Also, Hope the engine/trans wont take too much.  I have a nice 998 just in case.  

Edited by jchomme, 21 December 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#14 jagman.2003

jagman.2003

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Local Club: Owner of my own club of Minis

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:18 AM

Looks like a nice project.

The early cars had thicker steel so seem to last the distance better.

Rain channels can be repaired, this has been done on a couple of threads here.

I repaired part of one with an old stock panel that had some channel on it.

Good luck.

#15 jchomme

jchomme

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:32 AM

Thanks jagman,  

its funny bc I had some extra channel but I threw it out.  I have a complete roof, but it too pristine to chop up. Its just going to take some time to repair. 

So, taking a different approach with the 1960.  I nearly have a complete mini and I think it would be good to put in some extra practice before working on the other one.

Today I worked on building the spit and mocking some panels up.  

Edited by jchomme, 26 June 2016 - 06:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users