#1 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

Well it was free! :)
I got well ahead of myself when asking about these things earlier - so many tools to buy!
So I've got this little thing sat in my garage....
When the time comes, knowing that I'm not likely to get a show finish with the thing - any problem with using it for the primer, etc with an HVLP gun? Save more expense for later. :-
Absolutely no hurry here - after about ten minutes work I tend to want a break anyway. ;)

I'm also considering a quite dramatic change of colour, will i need to strip all the non rusty bits (that's the roof then) or will a serious flatting and primer suffice?

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

Very basically mate, You only need to go down to bare metal where there is rust, so... if your roof has rust, then the patches with rust (plus 1 inch around it) should be taken right back to bare metal to get rid of all the rust. the rest of the paintwork can just be keyed in with some 600-800 wet and dry used wet.

If you were to just key in the rust and paint over it, it will grow back through your lovely paint.

Not sure about your free compressor,... I'd hazard a guess and say it wouldn't be able to supply a good enough air supply for your spray gun. but have a play with settings on the gun and compressor with some paint and on old panel or something, you might find it can just about cope.

and if it goes wrong, you just flat it back down and start again. remember to thouroughly degrease (using thinners) your spray gun etc before painting.

#3 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:36 AM

As above..
he compressor you describing most definetaly will not be able to spray.

There will be no reserve tank and I doubt it will supply 10cfm in a constant flow
with no air reserve which is what you would be looking at to spray with a cheap gun.

Most small compressors (50 litre tank) run out of puff pretty quickly when attempting to spray a panel

#4 Garagiste

Garagiste

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

Indeed it has no receiver and I pretty much figured that would be the likely answer.
Reason I asked though is that there's a picture of something very similar in Lyndsay Porter's Mini resoration manual, which he describes as "a big hearted little system".
Made me think it might be OK for the primer, if not the top coat.
Oh well, paint is a long way off anyway, mucho rust cutting and welding to come first.

#5 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

So any compressor that can supply a constant 10cfm or better should be good for spraying then ? Or could you use something a little less like 8.7cfm ie.

http://www.machinema...asp?p=000112082

My car could do with a respray and was thinking about getting one and doing it a panel at a time (have to use her every weekday so could prep on saturday and paint on sunday)..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users