Photo

Advice For Using Clarke Csw6T On A Project?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 djdanmk

djdanmk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

Makes no difference the rccb just provides additional protection to the outgoing ways in the consumer unit that are connected to it.

For a garage or workshop the best way is to run a larger supply I.e 50a or 63A mcb on a non rcd way in the consumer unit in a 10mm 16mm or 25mm armored cable to your garage and use it to feed a consumer unit with an rcd main switch. That way when it trips it saves you having to go back into the house. It also means you have less volt drop for any equipment you may use.

#17 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:25 PM

I do have an armoured cable to the garage from the CU in the house to a mini CU in the garage with a 16a MCB.

Only thing is the armoured feed from the house CU is on a 16a MCB.

The garage mini CU has a 40A RCD with a 16a MCB serving the sockets.

From what your saying, would the following upgrade work do you think -

Upgrade the house CU garage supply to a 63A MCB (subject to cable size / length)

Retain existing garage CU 40A RCD

Retain existing garage socket 16a MCB

Upgrade a socket outlet to a 16a blue socket outlet.

Sorry to be a pest. You're being very helpful and I do appreciate your time.

#18 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

Hi this all depends on the size of the armoured cable, i bet its just 2.5mm two or three core to honest. best way forward because it sounds like you have a split load consumer unit ie RCD and non RCD ways.

If you can afford it have a high integerity consumer unit which is all rcbo's (rcd/mcb in one unit) this will cut down on any nuisance tripping and identify a problem circuit, then upgrade the armoured if you think your going to benefit from all this investment in your property for your hobby ?? possibly a 6mm or 10mm three core armoured to future proof, this should comfortably take most DIY/hobby power requirements. Again all depends on length of run and de-rating factors applied to the cable throughout its installation.

A good electrician should be able to do this easily.

Edited by I hate Brian, 02 December 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#19 marrigoshiy

marrigoshiy

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:16 PM

Sorry two years later but...

Just reading through forums to try and get some information about the spot welder I just purchased. Its the clarke spot cws13t.

I bought it to weld 2+2mm wireframe artworks as a hobby from home and do some panel repair to my van but discovered while trying to find a suitable replacement UK plug (it came with european 2 pin explosion proof plug) that I have no way to supply it with power... not safe to plug it into any normal domestic socket/adaptor or power source.

I read on a few replies here that the cws6t can be used if the consumer unit in the house has a 3.8ka fuse fitted and appropriate guage cable running to 16amp rated socket/ plug etc etc.

For a spot welder like the cws13t running on it's highest setting (why I bought it over the cws6t) according to the spec I would need a 6.3ka fuse in consumer unit running 2.5 cable to a 25amp socket/plug?

I'm not up on electrical side so if anyone knows or has the time to reply what components I would need to set up a circuit to supply this welder I'd be really grateful. I just spent a huge whack of my project budget on this welder and now delaying for days because I can't plug it in to use it.

Dave

#20 antcole

antcole

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

Hi Dave,

My power socket is fed from a heavier rated circuit breaker, and i use the round blue industrial type plug and socket.

You can cut the euro plug off and attach a blue round plug with no issues.

A domestic wall socket is protected by a heavier circuit breaker, but dont use the normal square pin plugs for the spot welder, plus you wont get a fuse large enough for the welder.

If i were you i would get an electrician to attach a blue round pin socket to supply the power, he should be able to spur it off a wall socket in the garage or wherever you plan to use it, and make up a long heavy gauge extension lead for the welder.

They only have about a metre and a half of flex attached to the welder unit.

Sounds daunting but its not that difficult to sort out. But you wont be able to run it properly or for very long using a uk square pin plug.

#21 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:56 PM

When wiring my new garage I just incorporated a 16a blue socket as part of the 32A ring and supplied it all from a 32A RCBO. Rather than spur from a ring main it would be more beneficial to be part of the ring not on a spur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users