#1 quagmire

quagmire

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 04:04 PM

hi all

i need a some advice here, steering column to IVA standard, which one? what do i need to modify it? (if at all) best way of mounting to the car. i have read al,s pinned post at the beginning of this forum but am not sure where to start, just wondered what some of you guys have done just glad of some help really some pics would be great. i have the road frame by the way so would expect to have to fab some kind of mount/dash rail etc any help much appreciated thanks   

#2 quagmire

quagmire

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:37 PM

nobody?

#3 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

So as to not leave you hanging I will reply.

From what I can gather you might be able to get over the problem by using a collapsible steering wheel boss on the standard column, maybe something to look into if you didnt want to go through the hassle of fabricating a dash rail.

Should you still want to fab your own, here's a close up of the Zcars dash rail without the bearings and column in place, should you wish to take inspiration from their design.

13042009006.jpg

Key things to note is that the IVA column has two UJ's in it and theoretically the column should push through the bearings in an effort to collapse the column in an accident...

Good luck.

#4 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:01 AM

There is some information here from someone who has actually done this

http://www.theminifo...st-hints/page-1

David

#5 quagmire

quagmire

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

thanks for the replies guys, i made a couple of phone calls and did a bit of research on the web this afternoon and from what i,ve learned iam going to modify the mini column or try anyway. after speaking with the guy at cbs he pretty much confirmed what cptkirk said, its needs 2 uj,s and a collapsible top section, a collapsible steering boss will suffice for this. will still need to fab a dashrail/ bracket but at least i can now make a start and keep the original mini stalks and wiring etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users