GrahamHill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC (Glos)

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hi all.

So it is time for me to forget the whole thing of buying a new shell. Figured I have the kit and I just wouldn't be as proud of myself if I simply bought a new shell.

My thought is along the lines of which panels look and fit best and which offer the best value for money?
I know using heritage panels is something that is raved about for ease of fitting and life but if you can save yourself a bit with there being no real difference between heritage and magnum for example on some panels it surely has to be worth it?

With that in mind my question is this...

What panels would you not buy heritage? Indeed are there some pattern panels which are actually a better fit?

#2 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

What panels do you need?

I've never had a problem with Mini Spares non gen wings, A-panels and doors skins. 

#3 GrahamHill

GrahamHill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:37 PM

Haha. It's more a case of what panels don't I need. Haha

Flitch panels, front and rear val, boot floor, lower part of bulkhead (thinking of doings lots of small repair patches neatly cut), rear wheel arches, small repair on companion bins. Not forgetting sills which may mean more as it has been fitted by the previous plank with oversills and given the list of everything else that is wrong it is probably hiding a lot. Oh and I will be fabricating some parts for my holes where the front suspension is mounting to thin air.

#4 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

Once we come up with the answer of most recommended panels for which job could we sticky it? It may be useful for future members to read and also a quick reference point for people if buying a load of panels.

#5 kyle9832

kyle9832

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:58 PM

Once we come up with the answer of most recommended panels for which job could we sticky it? It may be useful for future members to read and also a quick reference point for people if buying a load of panels.

that would be very helpful!

#6 GrahamHill

GrahamHill

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

Agreed. :) 

#7 corrado vr6

corrado vr6

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:44 AM

Here's a list of panels I used and the route I took

Inner sills I used ones from Somerford mini which are complete inner sills and nice thick metal

Rear quarters - heritage

Door skins - heritage

Rear valance - non genuine

Rear valance closure - heritage

Boot floor repairs - non genuine

Front floors - non genuine

Rear arches - heritage

Front scuttle - heritage (is a must really)

Bonnet - heritage

Front wings - heritage (not necessary)

Front panel - heritage (not necessary)

Inner wings - heritage (could have used non genuine flitch repair panels, much easier)

Outer sills - heritage however non genuine is fine so long as they are not wide over sills or if they are then they are cut down to the standard size to create the strong box section as designed

Bulkhead - patches were made and neatly welded in

Everyone will have a different opinion I'm afraid, but that was my approach to my first project

Edited by corrado vr6, 02 September 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 02 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

Door skins. I use both Heritage and Magnum. Prefer Heritage but Magnum work, just need more work to fit.

Complete boot floor. Heritage. Magnum only do repair sections which are not the best.

Rear panel lower section. Heritage. Magnum do a smaller section that does the hinge mounting points.

Inner sills. Don't bother with the rubbish repair ones. Buy a complete inner sill from M Machine.

Outer sills. M Machine do their own pressing. Not bad and way better than Magnum.

Door steps. Steer clear of Magnum until they sort their pressings. Utter cack. Either stump up for Heritage or get some fabricated.

A panels. Pretty much the same for either Heritage or Magnum. Down to your pocket.

Scuttle. As mentioned Heritage is a must.

Flitch repair, only available from Magnum. Complete inner wings Heritage.

Front panels. This can be hit or miss for either Magnum or Heritage. Recently fitted Heritage and went on a treat. Prior to that we tried to fit a old Magnum wing and that was very poor.

Floor pans. Several choices here. Magnum sell the individual quarters and I believe halves as well. Heritage do either full or half floors. M Machine do the same panels apart from the quarter floors. They sell Magnum ones for those.

Rear quarter panels. Heritage. The Magnum ones that fit up the B and C pillars are ok but need a chunk of work.

Inner rear arches. For me pay the money and buy Heritage. Again magnum do sell a one piece pressing but it's down to what you want fitted. Heritage sell a complete one or two halves separately.

Rear valance. I prefer Heritage but have fitted Magnum and they work. The close outs I always fit Heritage.

Ultimately it's down to what you can afford to buy.

Remember if not a TMF+ member then become one as we have various discounts with panel sellers like Minispares, Minispeed, M Machine. This can make a serious difference to your spend if buy a lot in one go.

#9 ger

ger

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Local Club: M4 Minis

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

Got to agree with sonikk4, thats the route I'm going down.

#10 Pickwah

Pickwah

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

Can I just ask why a heritage scuttle is a must?

#11 Covert

Covert

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

Fitment of magnum scuttles is awful to say the least

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

Magnum scuttles are just pure rubbish. Even the repair ends need a fare old chunk of work to get right. Been there didn't like that at all. 

#13 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:01 AM

If you are doing the work yourself then an extra few hours to get a cheap panel to fit properly is fine, but if you are paying someone else to do it the cost of the extra time taken will soon far outweigh any initial cost saving.

#14 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

If you need flitch repair panels and there's holes where the upper shocks mount, have you considered full inner wings?

I dont know what the rest of your inner wings are like but I wish I'd fitted them to mine.

Also, the shock mount area is made up of several layers i've got pics in my project

#15 Pickwah

Pickwah

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

I fitted a magnum scuttle/wings/front panel to mine and had nothing but good comments as to how well it all fits together!

A lot of people saying their better than their heritage panels.

Took a lot of fettling but worth what I saved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users