9 replies to this topic

#1 jam2010marie

jam2010marie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hi there, had my mini 1380 rolling road tuned today at Southam mini centre, it produced 106 bhp but Colin said i need a uprated dizzy as he cant advance it enough he said it will get a bit more bhp with this done, any sugestions of what one to get, thanks in advance.

big thanks to Colin at Southam mini centre.

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Whats the rest of the engine spec Jam ? I would have fitted a Aldon yellow with vacuum advance and set the timing at 10degs at 1000rpm and then the Aldon has 22degs of mechanical advance which on todays fuel should allow you to run around 32-34degs for maximum power.

#3 jam2010marie

jam2010marie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hi Kernow, Engine spec is stage 3 head, kent 286 cam, 1.5.1 roller rockers, reground nitro carburised crankshaft,powermax pistons, main strap,

hif 44 carb 1- 3/4 with a larger jet cant remember what size,

i think he set timing at 12degs at 1100rpm   and im sure he said it was set at about 30 32degs on max power but he said that a performance dizzy would let him advance more on full power and achieve more power, thanks in advance.

#4 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:18 PM

I wouldn't bother with a dizzy, you're much better off fitting mappable ignition like megajolt or Nodiz.

It transforms the engine, and makes it much smoother, and obviously allows 3d mapping with the use of a map or TPS sensor.

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hi Kernow, Engine spec is stage 3 head, kent 286 cam, 1.5.1 roller rockers, reground nitro carburised crankshaft,powermax pistons, main strap,

i think he set timing at 12degs at 1100rpm   and im sure he said it was set at about 30 32degs on max power but he said that a performance dizzy would let him advance more on full power and achieve more power, thanks in advance.

I dont know how much more advance he was looking for, but its only going to be a couple of degs to avoid detonation? what distributor have you got fitted now, if its a standard one the curve is going to be wrong, speak to AC Dodd here on TMF or H&H Ignitions

#6 jam2010marie

jam2010marie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

I dont know how much more advance he was looking for, but its only going to be a couple of degs to avoid detonation? what distributor have you got fitted now, if its a standard one the curve is going to be wrong, speak to AC Dodd here on TMF or H&H Ignitions

The dizzy i've got come from mini spares cost £133.60 inc vat product no. is c-27h7702 its still on there web page,   i thought this would be ok,

#7 jam2010marie

jam2010marie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

I wouldn't bother with a dizzy, you're much better off fitting mappable ignition like megajolt or Nodiz.

It transforms the engine, and makes it much smoother, and obviously allows 3d mapping with the use of a map or TPS sensor.

Hi there, how much would this cost? and would i be able to run the car straight away or would it have to be remapped and and who could remap it.   thanks.

#8 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:22 PM

Did it come with a product sheet saying what the max advance was?

#9 jam2010marie

jam2010marie

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

Did it come with a product sheet saying what the max advance was?

No just got the invoice with part no. 

#10 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:06 PM

Hi there, how much would this cost? and would i be able to run the car straight away or would it have to be remapped and and who could remap it.   thanks.

It's not the cheapest, you're probably looking at around £250. Saying that the other option in the Aldon mappable dizzy, which looks far more straight forward and cheaper. But I'm not familiar with the software on that so im not sure how versatile they are. They are £150 on their site. It would have to be mapped, but to get it running, you can always just put in the advance curve in that you have now, then fine tune the rest on the RR. Putting the advance curve in, is usually just a case of connecting it up to a laptop and filling in a simple spread sheet, which has RPM on one axis and Load on the other, then you type in the advance you want at each interval. On a 2D map, it's simply just a single line of numbers in a row from say 500rpm to 7000rpm for example. The 2D maps don't take into consideration load or throttle position. They also have the benefits of Rev limiters etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users