90 replies to this topic

#16 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

theres a running tech article in one of the mags at the moment on how to convert your car to 13's i like most others assumed it was a bit of arch trimming and bolt them on but it seems its more involved than that to get best reasults

#17 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:11 PM

you may have a problem running 10s on a k setup with the gearing , you will end up with no top end

#18 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

you may have a problem running 10s on a k setup with the gearing , you will end up with no top end

Using the metro gti box which is geared for 13". and don't think i'd want to take a mini upto the top end of what a k series can do in a metro!. been in a 1.8 metro at 130mph and it was scary!!!!! I'll be happy with 120mph as long as it gets there quick! ;D

Edited by Peskett, 13 August 2006 - 09:24 PM.

#19 -*Smeg*-

-*Smeg*-

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club HQ

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

120 mph is a good speed. Try it with ya windows open :D

#20 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

nice wheels

#21 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:22 AM

since retro 10's has sparked my heart back into life with the k-series (contrary to my name below) im taking great interest in this plan of yours to run a k-series on 10's!! i've tried all 3 sizes, 10's are most fun, 13's are ultimate grip then u spin, crash and die and 12's a good comprimise!! got to say id use 10's!! keep joe public guessing when u pull past them at 100mph!! :proud:

just to add another firework to the equasion!! are you aware that the 1400 gearbox is known to be weak!! a pg1 box from a vvc (pref R200 brm) would probably be a better bet as its stronger and ultimately for 10" wheels geared longer!!

#22 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:14 PM

since retro 10's has sparked my heart back into life with the k-series (contrary to my name below) im taking great interest in this plan of yours to run a k-series on 10's!! i've tried all 3 sizes, 10's are most fun, 13's are ultimate grip then u spin, crash and die and 12's a good comprimise!! got to say id use 10's!! keep joe public guessing when u pull past them at 100mph!! :dozing:

just to add another firework to the equasion!! are you aware that the 1400 gearbox is known to be weak!! a pg1 box from a vvc (pref R200 brm) would probably be a better bet as its stronger and ultimately for 10" wheels geared longer!!

Doe a gearbox really need to be that strong in a lightened mini weighing next to nothing? Also the pg1 box is a fair size bigger than the r65 box. The other option is a r65u from a later 1.4 mg. But as i have 3 r65 box's i'll use all of those before i worry about what to upgrade to :errr: . The thing i would prob do is a quaife stright cut gear set from the metro challanges. But i must admit my plans have changed slightly as i have aqiured a vvc engine with inlet. but i will stick to tens even if it means mounting the engine slightly higher for ground clearance and having a bulge.

#23 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

maybe just use a taller diff from one of the other boxes!! also read the artical if u can on the k-series!! if ur planning to use thins engine in anger at all look at getting a remote mounted thermostat!!

#24 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

Day one of frame making :thumbsup:
Just mainly been making room for it whilst still trying to keep the tiebar mounts exactly where they belong. Posted Image

Posted Image

Gonna start making the side mounts tomorrow.

Then remake the the gearbox lower side to match the engine side.

Also got to make a removable front bar.
Posted Image

The front bar is only tempory for now with only small welds holding it together.

Day 2 of frame making

some more pictures of todays progress.
Posted Image
still got some bits to alter like made a removable front bar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
problem area no1 is clearance for the oil filter take off

Posted Image
Problem area no2 is how close the box sits to tower. going to have to modifiy the top arm bolt.

Posted Image
problem area no3 will need alot of reinforcement.

#25 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:22 AM

Still got alot to do yet just waiting for some more steel tube and plate. Gotta do alot of trianglation for strenth and there still some bits that need altering. But they can wait till the weekend as i've give myself a bad back from lifting it in and out so many times :bah: Main aim is to have it all running by riviera run in may and on a budget of £500. Not doing to bad either as the engine i've got cost £100 and i've a vvc unit waiting till after riv run due to the issues of wiring the dam thing in. Am tempted after the riv run to go the mappable ecu route. I bought a welder last week thats another £130 outta my budget gone. WAs an ex demo but arrived damaged so they sent me a new one for the same price :thumbsup:

Edited by Peskett, 12 December 2006 - 11:23 AM.

#26 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:44 PM

Not the best of updates but tried the subframe and engine in the car yesterday for the first time Posted Image All went well with a few alteration once the frame is removed. Need to lower the engine in the frame by a few millimeters to miss the drivers side rain gutter on the wing. Also forgot to mention its going in my other mini now due to wanting to go riv run then i can use the other shell for somthing more wild.

Edited by Peskett, 22 January 2007 - 05:00 PM.

#27 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:16 AM

looking good! how did u find the subframe fabricating?

#28 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:38 PM

Mmmm i love K-series engines. :) looking good mate, Keep those updates coming! It's getting me excit4ed about my next project *cough kseries* *cough 16V twin cam* :D

#29 CanadianMiniFan

CanadianMiniFan

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

Mmmm i love K-series engines. :) looking good mate, Keep those updates coming! It's getting me excit4ed about my next project *cough kseries* *cough 16V twin cam* :D

Is ur clubby done yet?

#30 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

Making the frame wasn't to bad to be honest. Just sat and looked at the galleries on 16v mini club then went from there. the main structure of the frame i made in a few days working in bits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users