76 replies to this topic

#16 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

Got two good days at the mini this weekend. A little short of photos as I forgot to take any.

Managed to fit both outer seals, replaced the passenger door step and corrected the gaps.

Re-skinned the drivers door, their is a small crease and some ripple along the lower edge nothing a little filler and attention won't sort out but I am pleased with end result. 

20151030_115912_zpscdj0lx9b.jpg

Fixed the passenger side scuttle panel and had to make a filler panel as I cannot for the life of me find the original. It will turn up I'm sure at some point.

Seam sealed most of the under side and cleaned up some of the duff weld seams.

Following the issues I have had with the heel board we test fitted the rear sub frame and with a little adjustment it fits so i am happy to get on and spray the underside and get a coat of stone chip once i finish the drivers scuttle panel repair and filler panel.

Good weekends work thanks to my son and Grumpy!!

#17 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

Bored at lunch so stripped cleaned the distributor.

real mess to start with but bathed in white spirit in a ultra sonic bath then polished using wire wool 

20151102_152502_zpsykk71ukx.jpg

There was some damage to the electronics on the side so made a repair using some sealant.

#18 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

Invested in a new tap set and made a replacement mounting bracket for the inner wing as there was still half a bolt in the original one.

I'm sure they are available somewhere but it's not half as much fun as making one.Just got to find the time to fit it now

New and old

20151105_142336_zpsseiivjlp.jpg

#19 java gt

java gt

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for showing those skin pins Country Clubman,I found a few of them in a box and have used them as they are a great piece of kit but I could never find out what they were used for and now that I know where to get them I shall be buying more.

#20 Cavazzi

Cavazzi

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:10 PM

Invested in a new tap set and made a replacement mounting bracket for the inner wing as there was still half a bolt in the original one.

I'm sure they are available somewhere but it's not half as much fun as making one.Just got to find the time to fit it now

New and old

20151105_142336_zpsseiivjlp.jpg

What tap is used to make the thread?

#21 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

1/4 UNF same as the original. Was going to use M5 metric but the threads per inch is finer in imperial the size. That and by the time I finally get to fit the bracket I would have forgotten what I had done.
Got a set from Amazon 4UNF up to 1/2" will allow me to clean up any poor threads when I start putting the car back together.

#22 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

Good days work on the mini Sunday.

Finished off all the underside welding and panel repairs.

Seam sealed all the usual areas then sprayed two coats of high build primer.

Had a few issues with the spray gun but was fine after a full strip and clean. "Note to self when your told is fully clean and it works well, ignore and clean before first use."

Ready for stone chip. this will allow me to fit pipes and rear subframe.

Not sure if we should fit the A panels and the front wings while still attached to the rotary stand.

TET%20on%20side_zpsjhhrn4dd.jpg

The disadvantage is access as it stands now we only have access from on side with limited from the front

The Advantage is most of the paint prep can be done and the roof painted before it goes back on the floor.

I have fitted a new wing to a Clubman in the past but cannot remember how hard it is to align it up especially as i have to do both side together?

#23 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Had only had an hour to look at the car today. Looked at the rear quarter panels for paint finish as it is in primer but is very uneven. Sanding it back it appears that the metal was a little green (rusty) before the primer was applied. Looks like we're have a little more rubbing down to do. Out with the power tools me thinks.

#24 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:57 AM

Not done much to the mini for most of December due to having some work done to my upper spine. Had a little grinding and added metal added between two sets of vertebrae.

Have managed a few days over Christmas.

the Car had been partially blasted with exception of half the rear quarter panels and the roof so set to work stripping. Discovered that due to health and safety paint stripper is pretty useless at stripping paint and then leaves a mess and rust.

The sides where not to bad as there was not many layers, the roof however was as thick as you like. It had been three different colours in its life, Black, two different colours of yellow and the usual under coats layers.

20151228_115911_zps3cylxawk.jpg

So after a couple of attempts of paint stripper, scrappers, wire wheels and sanders three generations of us finally got down to bear metal. Applied some rust treatment and then etch primer a job well done.

20151228_155621_zpslr763wll.jpg

Beat a few dents out and filled with a little p38. Most of the large areas done ready for primer.

Next up fit A panels front wings and bonnet.

#25 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

Got a good day on the Mini Sunday.

Fitted the passenger A panel and front wing following the lead from Country Clubman and other forum posts.

With every pair of mole grips I could muster test fitted them with the door in-place to check the gaps.

20160131_113351_zpswymgkjlv.jpg

Tried to tap the A panel lip round with little success so resorted to the grips an a piece of wood. Took my time and i am very pleased with the results. Nice and tight with no distortion.

20160131_113358_zpswxtrp2ss.jpg

The front valance was a little lacking in metal at the lower edge so I cut it out and my son made a new panel. Welded in place fitted the head lamp repair panel. Seam sealed all joints and covered all weld with etch primer

20160131_143315_zps1kxxhcca.jpg

Added the support angle to the A panel wing Joint.

20160131_134819_zpshbzes78z.jpg

one wing to go and the major panel work will be complete.

#26 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:31 AM

Good day on the mini this weekend.

20160305_112150_zpsruuosny2.jpg

Fitted drivers A panel and new wing.

20160305_112113_zpscmyx160m.jpg

checked door gaps and bonnet alignment before welding.

20160305_163313_zps4q2m5epy.jpg

Repaired and welded additional holes in the front lower valance.

#27 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

Just to remind my son and myself what we where working towards we put the wheels under the arches just for fun.

20160305_163300_zpspz8qzebu.jpg

20160305_163340_zpstb98dn68.jpg

next up stone chip spray on the under side and get the car off the rotary stand. 

#28 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:12 AM

Looks good, just spray with lacquer run wheels that low, spot on! would be nice to be able to run that low as looks cool like that but practicality of real life running would get in way, speed bumps, pot holes etc.

Looks like you'll be done before mine, do you know what colour your finishing it in?

#29 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

Slammed with plenty of negative camber would be a good look!!

Colour now there's a good question.

The original plan was Bronze Yellow BLVC 15 Black Roof.

Second was Signal Yellow RAL 1003 with Anthracite Gray interior, Black Roof

I got the rear doors out to check the condition which is good but they are yellow on the outside but Lime green on the inside. I like the Lime Green colour but not sure my son would be so keen.

The other option is Anthracite metallic with black roof.

So to fully answer the colour Question it will have a black roof but we are open to opinions on the body colour. 

this is apparently what it looked like before it was stripped.

Note the rear windows where blanked with steel panels not welded in.

mini_zps8aoznghl.jpg

#30 country clubman

country clubman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:16 PM

Not keen on that bright yellow much prefer the grey primer to that! but the original bronze yellow with black roof could be nice, but choosing colour is very subjective so you have to go with what you like.

I'm sticking with my original colour which is the bronze yellow, was wondering what paint code it was so you mentioning it saves me looking, cheers for that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users