62 replies to this topic

#31 Stewi

Stewi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

Are these the SickHID's? I want these but with shipping for the U.S they are a tad expensive, don't we have an British version somewhere in the UK?

#32 mtymous

mtymous

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:01 AM

Hi everyone!

This is my first post!

I could not find an exact answer online and had to ask the PRO's

Does anybody know if Jeep Wrangler headlights fit? I am guessing all 7" fit but I don't want to buy them just to find they don't. 

Thanks in advance!

The answer is "most". There are some that are made specifically for the newer wranglers and they will have a different electrical connector. As for the size, yes, all Jeep wranglers of the correct years will use a 7" round headlight. Jeep YJ' used rectangular headlamps.

#33 Stewi

Stewi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hi everyone!

This is my first post!

I could not find an exact answer online and had to ask the PRO's

Does anybody know if Jeep Wrangler headlights fit? I am guessing all 7" fit but I don't want to buy them just to find they don't. 

Thanks in advance!

The answer is "most". There are some that are made specifically for the newer wranglers and they will have a different electrical connector. As for the size, yes, all Jeep wranglers of the correct years will use a 7" round headlight. Jeep YJ' used rectangular headlamps.

Ah Brilliant so these should work? 

http://www.ebay.co.u...bUAAOSwLVZV3ZJX

I am not adverse to cutting the connector off and wiring this in to the mini - as long as it fits! 

Any objections??

Thanks all,

#34 JollyMole

JollyMole

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Local Club: Tynemouth MiniClub

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

Busy with my Xenon projectors - they will have a halo behind the shroud too as DRLs.20140806_142131_zpsc740e050.jpg

I know minis look like smiley faces but they really do look like eyes. :) any 'on' photos?

#35 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:28 PM

Hey stewi, those were the lights I initially looked at but before you buy them think of this.

Mine has the golf crosshair ones and they don't fit without work.
The inner retaining ring has to be cut to allow them to fit and the outer ring bit has to be trimmed also

They were advertised at 7inch also but are slightly bigger, to be honest I would be more up for modifying an original mini part like I plan to do

Just my 2p mate. Don't want to see you spend the money and be diassapointed that's all

Lawrence

#36 mtymous

mtymous

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:46 AM

Stewi, DO NOT BUY those headlamps. They might fit, but they are a Chinese knockoff of the real deal. There is a reason they are so much cheaper. They suck.

If you're really looking at going with LED headlights, watch this series on Youtube first.

7" Round LED Headlight Shootout

You will be very disappointed with that headlight and you'll just wish you had bought something a little nicer. If you're looking to get LED headlights, I would recommend getting nothing less than the Truck-Lite 27270C headlights.

My next set of headlights will either be a custom LED retrofit or a set of off the shelf very high quality LED rounds like the JW Speaker EVO2's. With things like lights that allow me to see others or others to see me, I don't usually skimp. When you go cheap you can do one of many bad things. Not enough light to see hazards, Not enough light to safely be seen from the rear, or your light is not aimed/cut-off properly and you will blind oncoming traffic.

#37 Stewi

Stewi

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

Thank you everyone. I rarely skimp on these things and completely agree, I don't want an inferior product as it would drive me mad! However I saw these and hoped for the best!! :) what do you all think of http://www.sickhids.com apart from being very expensive to ship?! I am in the UK by the way. :) my R57 JCW MCS had xenon headlights and on full beam it was like daylight! I know it is a lot to ask of an old mini but I really want this experience again.

#38 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,894 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

I've got LED bulbs in all the lights on the front of my mini. Makes driving in the dark a much more pleasant experience :D

#39 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

I've got LED bulbs in all the lights on the front of my mini. Makes driving in the dark a much more pleasant experience :D

What headlight and globe combination are you using? Just curious, because I'm considering the LED bulb route as well.

#40 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

What headlight and globe combination are you using? Just curious, because I'm considering the LED bulb route as well.

My lights are standard units, just with LED bulbs (H4 and H3).

#41 mtymous

mtymous

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

If you're serious about the conversion and you want to get good, professional quality without blinding traffic, you're pretty much stuck spending a few hundred dollars. The best option, in my opinion, if you don't want to do the work yourself would be paying a high quality retrofitter or buying the Morimoto Sealed 7's.

Morimoto Sealed 7's

The SickHID's retrofits are ok. I think he's using the Mini H1 projector which is a decent projector. I'm not sure what he's charging for them.

My setup by itself (just in parts) cost me a few hundred dollars in parts. You will pay for quality when it comes to lighting.

#42 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

How much difference in light is there between leds and the hid?

#43 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:15 PM

Surely sealed beam LED units are where its at in the UK? E marked, no need for self levelling, a lot better than non e marked led replacement bulbs, used in a lense not designed for an led output?

#44 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:33 PM

How is a unit designed for a replacement bulb? My headlights still have the standard pattern and you can't tell from the outside that they're LEDs. The MOT is due next month, will see if they pass!

#45 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

How is a unit designed for a replacement bulb? My headlights still have the standard pattern and you can't tell from the outside that they're LEDs. The MOT is due next month, will see if they pass!

How much difference over 80w bulbs you can fit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users