Photo
- - - - -

How Best To Approach Someone With A Mini On There Drive Thst Hasnt Moved In Years?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 rhys-89

rhys-89

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Local Club: minifreekz

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:19 PM

A guy ide say in his 60s has a 1995 mini cooper in his drive way that has been under a blue tarpaulin for at least 5 years he also has a complete rolling spaceframe clubman un covered behind that for at least 5 years and also and auto mini not sure of year in his back garden. Ide really love to buy/save the cooper. I spoke to him around 3 years ago. Story goes I was talking to a regular down the pub and in his wisdom (drunken state) said my dad owns a mini and hes looking to sell it so I asked where and I took a walk literally around the corner from me and knocked the door spoke to the guy at first I got his back up as I said how much is the mini then I explained the situation and basically his son was talking pooo! Then he eased up a bit and spoke to me about the spaceframe and auto in the back garden but didnt want to sell any but since I last spoke to him the cars have not been touched the blue tarpaulin is now only held on by the rope around the underside of the roof gutter. I want to buy it but need to approach in the correct manor. Didnt know whether it would be worth driving around there in my mk1 to kind of have a talking point maybe any suggestions?

#2 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:27 PM

Drive around in your car, park up front and put a polite note through his letter box with your number , asking if he has any interest in selling.

I did this some years ago, heard nothing for about a week and then ending up buying a very nice 1976 Clubman for £50 ( it was the nineties!)

That way if he's not interested you will hear nothing without any embarrassment on either party.

FS

#3 rhys-89

rhys-89

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

Great suggestion will definitely concider this one

#4 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

As above probably the best way to approach something like that  

#5 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:36 PM

As long as you are polite I don't see why a knock on the door should be offensive to anyone. However, a note through the door has the benefit of staying there once you've gone. It gives them chance to think about it for a bit.

Rod

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

Sneakier approach, concoct a reason to ask his advice about your Mini so you can start a conversation without being nosey. You can then steer it round to his Min's and slip in the line, "if you ever want to sell...." if it seems appropriate.

#7 rhys-89

rhys-89

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

Great suggestions a note seems the best way will have to get writing I think lol oh and fix the wire on my garage door as it snapped the other day when I put the mini away took half hour to get it down and locked

#8 SecretSugar

SecretSugar

Sweet!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

I would agree with the note. I made the monumental mistake of approaching a woman about hers. There is a house right near my daughter's school which has a lovely tahiti blue Mayfair but it was uncovered. Usually where I park outside the school, it is literally feet away from this mini, and I was in my red at the time. I saw the woman leaving her house so I approached her. I started with the general chit chat "Nice mini, how long you had it?" blah blah blah...she showed me around it...it wasn't the best I've seen... the boot's best friend was rust, the tyres were as flat as anything, it didn't start apparently, the sills were terrible and been uncovered and left for a few years, so typical bubbles and areas of rust all over, other than that the body was in good nick. I then asked if she was interested in selling it as I was looking for another. Put it this way, I wish I didn't bother asking. She started off saying she has had a few people approach her about it, she has had notes through her door and even people sending letters in the post! I asked how much she would want. First she said that her husband was going to restore it and had a shed full of parts (I felt like saying if he hasn't started now, he probably won't)...then she went on to say that they are simply keeping it until it went up in value enough for them to sell it, (again I thought about saying they may go up in value, but yours is decreasing!) and last but not least, she said she won't sell for anything less than a few grand. I chuckled thinking "Not a chance, love!"...I was more embarrassed for her. Two years later, it's still sitting there, although they have put a cover on it in the last few months, but its a little late I think. 

#9 rhys-89

rhys-89

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Lol some people just don't budge its a shame to see them rotting on peoples drives when theres people out there that are willing to bring them back will be writing a letter soon I think

#10 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:45 PM

Cash and a trailer works for me.

#11 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:31 PM

With the prices of Minis these days I would be surprised if he hasn't had a few people asking already. 

Cash and a trailer works for me.

Turning up with a trailer is bad form IMO and likely to get his back up straight away (it certainly would me)!

#12 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:36 PM

You don't buy many cars then, cash is king and a trailer means you're not full of it.

#13 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

I don't tend to buy old scrappers no - and certainly not using the methods of a pikey.

If someone turned up at my house with a trailer, I would question their intentions. If I had have been out, would they have stolen the car?

It also smacks of arrogance that you are that confident that the car should be sold to you. 

#14 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 10:18 PM

I've bought cars off people who haven't even been home, posted £100 through their letterbox and collected later.

#15 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 11:21 PM

I am amazed at questions like this...just be human, go with the flow.

If you want to gain from anothers loss, do it.

If you want to be fair and they  are to blinkered to see it. walk away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users