245 replies to this topic

#181 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

New Polo Gti is ace, GOLF R, new Audi TT, Audi R8 R10, Skoda Yeti, Golf gti, Octavia vrs, all nice cars in their sector, Caddy and Transporter still the most desirable vans.

Nice is the word. Just nice. I just don't get it personally would rather have an interesting engine then some 4 pot with a turbo but sadly that's the way everything is going.
What should we be buying then?, come on don't keep it a secret :-)
BMW man myself but wouldn't kick GT86, 370z, GTR, Cooper S, boxster out of bed .

Nice logic don't buy those well made VAG cars, like A3, A4, Golf, Polo,Passat, Yeti, Octavia or anything. Immensely practical cars that can be good on B roads and fit a weekly shop in the boot and more, but buy a mid engined sports car or a tiny hatchback with a tiny boot. Probably petrol and not going to be massively economical on fuel or insurance or even tax.

Don't give up the day job.

#182 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

I owned an Audi 2.5 A4 TDI and its was an immense drive, I have to say as a personal preference I prefer a torquey diesel to a quick petrol. The main downside was how quickly you needed to pull through the lower gears if you got your foot it, but once you were upto cruising speed it was great. Always fancied a 320D touring but haven't got round to owning one yet. 

But I agree with cooperman, with modern petrols doing the same MPG as "dirty diesels" were  just ten years ago then you need to be doing some serious motorway mileage to recoup the extra outlay.

#183 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:20 PM

New Polo Gti is ace, GOLF R, new Audi TT, Audi R8 R10, Skoda Yeti, Golf gti, Octavia vrs, all nice cars in their sector, Caddy and Transporter still the most desirable vans.

Nice is the word. Just nice. I just don't get it personally would rather have an interesting engine then some 4 pot with a turbo but sadly that's the way everything is going.
BMW man myself but wouldn't kick GT86, 370z, GTR, Cooper S, boxster out of bed .

Nice logic don't buy those well made VAG cars, like A3, A4, Golf, Polo,Passat, Yeti, Octavia or anything. Immensely practical cars that can be good on B roads and fit a weekly shop in the boot and more, but buy a mid engined sports car or a tiny hatchback with a tiny boot. Probably petrol and not going to be massively economical on fuel or insurance or even tax.

Exactly, one of my VWs is a van so not really much use putting my tools in a Boxster and where would the ladders go? Our current car is a Cooper Clubman actually but we fancy a change, my wife is in her 30s with no children not exactly a BMW 7 series target audience is she? 1 series is boring so thats out, boxster has no rear seats, gt86 not in budget.

VW scirocco looks nice, goes ok, has rear seats, isn't diesel, 64 plate for around £15'000. Holds it's value well too.

#184 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

Calm down Vag fan boy. Shares take a hit?? Now I think about it your right we should all sell up and buy rebadged diesel Euroboxes immediately.
Perhaps the cars I mentioned are less practical but don't know how many people your feeding if you can't get a weekly shop in any of those cars I mentioned.
I had a yukka tree in my Z4 try getting that in a golf.

Might also add the other list included a golf R, TT and Audi R8 v10 world renowned for their economy :s
Clearly you like what I find to be dull diesel cars you are not alone and I appear to be in the minority which is fine. That is your prerogative.

Edited by dyshipfakta, 28 March 2016 - 07:02 PM.

#185 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

Calm down Vag fan boy. Shares take a hit?? 

Blimey, someone not get you any Easter eggs this weekend?

Must  be a fan boy, having owned a Mini, Citroen, Vauxhall, Ford and currently a Golfwith another Ford probably going to be the next car.

You're teling people with cars in the 10 to 20k bracket, either purchased or leased to look at 30/40/50k/100k cars.

Sadly we don't all live in ivory towers like your good self, but i do however have chocolate.

#186 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

Calm down Vag fan boy. Shares take a hit?? 

Blimey, someone not get you any Easter eggs this weekend?

Must  be a fan boy, having owned a Mini, Citroen, Vauxhall, Ford and currently a Golfwith another Ford probably going to be the next car.

You're teling people with cars in the 10 to 20k bracket, either purchased or leased to look at 30/40/50k/100k cars.

Sadly we don't all live in ivory towers like your good self, but i do however have chocolate.

No I'm not telling anyone to get anything. 10-20k can buy outright anything in my list with exception of the GTR. If you want a diesel golf get one go nuts.
To be honest don't really get what your going on about. All I said originally was that the VAGs don't do anything for me. Sorry that upsets you.

#187 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

I think the implication here is VAG being caught out hence the thread. However others are now being taken to task over similar issues. So nobody is perfect.

Now the argument between diesel and petrol really boils down to running costs especially if you are a high mileage driver like myself. i personally do not have the funds to move closer to where i work hence i live further away in a far more affordable property. My choice. So when the price of fuel was £1.51 per ltr my monthly fuel bill was getting close to £500 a month.

So i hear you say get a smaller car well the answer there will be a resounding NO. I have had a very serious RTA where my car was smashed to bits around me. Myself and two passengers walked out of that intact, badly bruised but intact. My boring Passat saved us from serious injury. We were hit whilst stationary at a minimum of 50mph (the speed limit on that particular road but we do know it would have been higher.)

Now going on from there to one of the choices of car mentioned in one of the replies a BMW Cooper S two of us would have been seriously injured if not killed possibly all three of us. My boring Passat had a huge crumple zone called the boot which took the majority of the impact. The damage to the back of my car sheared the suspension and moved the quarter panels into the rear doors. Cant move for the rear crumple zone on a Bini. One of my lift sharers has one and when there are three of us in it my knees are against the dashboard.

So personally i will stick with diesel VAG cars as my daily and for my toy i will have my mini. So VW got caught out, i don't care about that, i do care about their build quality and safety and so does my family. 

AND A WORD OF WARNING keep the name calling out of it otherwise i will remove those comments as per the forum rules.

#188 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

Vag fan boy is hardly an insult. Was just replying in kind to the kind of junk was getting thrown at me for expressing an opinion someone didn't like.
Anyways that's it for me I'm out. Think VAG will be just fine seem to have a loyal fan base.

#189 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

Vag fan boy is hardly an insult. Was just replying in kind to the kind of junk was getting thrown at me for expressing an opinion someone didn't like.
Anyways that's it for me I'm out. Think VAG will be just fine seem to have a loyal fan base.

That comment was not aimed entirely at you but to everyone. Play nicely or not at all is all we ask on here.

#190 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:24 PM

So i hear you say get a smaller car well the answer there will be a resounding NO. I have had a very serious RTA where my car was smashed to bits around me. Myself and two passengers walked out of that intact, badly bruised but intact. My boring Passat saved us from serious injury. We were hit whilst stationary at a minimum of 50mph (the speed limit on that particular road but we do know it would have been higher.)

crikey that sounds horrific

#191 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

crikey that sounds horrific

Yes it was and without doubt my car saved our lives or from serious injury. The impact punted my car 6 ft into the BMW in front. Destroyed the front of my car and badly damaged his. The Renault Scenic that hit me ended up with the engine pushed back into the passenger compartment. Even the Police were not sure what the actual speed was at impact as there were no skid marks.

#192 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

I'm always surprised and pleased at the value you get from a 6 or 7 year old BMW or Merc., petrol or diesel.

When I bought my current 7-series it had done just over 80k miles, was almost 7 years old and I paid under £8000. When new it would have been over £60,000. The performance is fantastic, the 6-speed switchable auto box is seamless in operation and in manual mode on twisty roads it is better than a stick-shift and just as positive. 0 - 60 is about 7 seconds with a max of about 150 mph, although I never really use either of those figures. What is good is an 80 mph cruise at about 1800 rpm, and the ability to overtake quickly, safely and smoothly. On a journey it gives around 37 to 38 mpg and about 34 mpg on mainly local runs. I reckon it is better than anything I could buy made by VAG for a similar price and it sure is comfortable. I recently drove a 2008 Merc E-Class with the 2.8 (I think) diesel and that was similarly good. Unbeatable value too.

#193 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

I really fancy an Octavia next, although at the moment I can't fault my Mazda 6.

It's a 2.2TD, it does high 50s to the gallon and I can do Kent to Newcastle and back on a tank of fuel.

It's just gone over 100k.

I'm waiting to hear from VAG about how they're going to fix the Ibiza, it's the 1.6TDi, and they were talking about new injectors and all sorts. Ultimately, it's their problem not mine. It doesn't seem to have affected prices.

I went through a phase of wanting to buy a VW Bora 2.8 V6 4motion as my daily drive is only 7 miles, but once the mini is finished that'll be my toy.

#194 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:03 PM

Well we pulled the trigger on a bargain 16 reg Scirocco, went in to see what they had used (no £500 a year to tax GTRs left, lol) nothing much, then they had a failed finance deal on a brand new one as I was sat there, needs selling and registering before the end of the month, thursday!!

Ah that old tale I hear you say, well the car had the guys private reg on it sat outside, luckily they didn't finish the registration or it would have been a disaster stuck with his plate on, we got to choose our own too. End of the financial year and monthly targets, got a £1000 loyalty for owning another VW (must have v5 at the same address) £1500 vw contribution for their finance which we will pay off early to claim the cash, good trade in on our Bini too. Worked out £1500 less than similar cars a year old on Autotrader so a no brainer really, new tyres etc and 2 years servicing for £149.

Pics to follow :-)

#195 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

20160329_172841_zpsbhyu916c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users