#196 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

Loving the scirocco Pete - I just picked up my 16 plate 'poverty spec' golf match (poverty spec being parking sensors, GPS, bluetooth, heated seats +++!!) 

First thirty miles down and absolutely love it. Already covered it in mud and dog hair though, oops...

#197 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:15 PM

Yes ours needs a wash already! There is more kit on these VWs than there once was isn't there?!

I can't get the app on my phone to connect to the touch screen for the sat nav yet so I need to call in to vw. Loving it so far though,enjoy your golf :-)

#198 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:49 PM

http://www.autocar.c...-defeat-devices

#199 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:48 PM

Had another letter about yesterday, basically no news in an update letter.

#200 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:02 PM

http://www.independe...a-a6992291.html

#201 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Floodgates are opening

#202 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-36106783

#203 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:31 PM

http://www.theguardi...tests?CMP=fb_gu

Seems they all do it

#204 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

I'd still be amazed if vag group are the only ones up to mischief.

In other news so far my Scirocco is returning around 43mpg so far which I'm more than happy with considering it's still running in, mainly short runs, I've been making the boost gauge spin around and it's not a diesel with a silly dpf filter!

#205 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

And the parade continues:

http://blog.caranddr...esel-emissions/

#206 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Im intrigued as to why the sanctions in the US are far more severe than over in EU with the buybacks and the compensation.

#207 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 06:47 PM

Im intrigued as to why the sanctions in the US are far more severe than over in EU with the buybacks and the compensation.

I think that we have too many lawyers. I remember that when the economy went down the toilet, there was some lady being interviewed on TV stating that according to a whole bunch of statistics there was a ridiculous number of people among the population in the US that had degrees in law or banking or something related.  She stated that this was very disproportionate compared to the entire population and that these occupations just "moved money around" but did not produce or created anything tangible that could be consumed or sold. She also claimed that the economy would not improve long term until this population ratio changed with more people inventing, building or producing something.   

We get bombarded with TV commercials from lawyers advertising like this:

Edited by xrocketengineer, 22 April 2016 - 07:19 PM.

#208 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

Ambulance chasing etc etc etc is becoming more rife over here, constant PPI rubbish and so on. Facebook and other media places you see stuff for claiming hearing loss, vibration injuries and so on.

Now some of this may or may not be applicable to people and in some cases if they do and they can claim then fair shout.
"
Now for us in Civil Aviation they have started hammering companies for delays. And yes I hear "I was delayed" and so on but if it was a technical delay and was of potential risk to you and the plane then to suffer a couple of hrs waiting but then continue with your flight then job done. BUT and its a big BUT not all delays are down to the plane but Ill or unruly passengers, Air Traffic Control issues, Airport issues and so on.

Companies can only sustain things for a while until prices are hiked. Bare that in mind.

Now as to all of these other companies slowly coming out about issues with their fuel consumption claims and so on they are all as bad as each other. So there we are, not just one company but many. It's not over yet.

Like xrocketengineer has said due to the USA being awash with Lawyers things like this are an easy target. Also having watched tv in America whilst in the states it's rammed down your throat literally. So many adverts have huge disclaimers at the end as well they are starting to become mini shows within themselves.

#209 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

An interesting side story for you sonikk4. This whole thing with the lawyers here in the US is sickening. When the Alaska Airlines Flight 261 crash occurred in 2000 and it was blamed on the failure of a jack screw that controlled the horizontal stabilizer, we at the Kennedy Space Center saw a common thread. We were having failures of jack screws on ground support equipment and inspections were not good enough to forecast replacements before a failure. So, very quickly, we came up with up a solution. A "Fail Safe and Continue to Operate" redundant nut system was devised for the jack screws that would meet our needs for the Space Shuttle equipment. The solution was offered to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and National Transportation and Safety Board (NTSB) that were investigating Alaska Airlines crash. Shortly after we were visited by lawyers interested in the development. We thought that they were there to help introduce the safety device into the main stream. We were wrong. They never told us who or what they were representing. But the bottom line of the crash investigation was to determine who was at fault; the airline that did not perform adequate maintenance of the aircraft or the aircraft designers that did not design out a failure mode.

In the end, the blame was placed on the airline poor maintenance practices. After that, the aircraft designers claimed that the "Acme Thread" jack screws were not being used on any new aircraft designs and the existing inspection practices were good enough for the existing fleet until it was decommissioned. There was no need to implement a redundant nut on anything. These conclusions were very frustrating for us.

http://www.iasa-intl...pdf/asw1118.pdf

https://en.wikipedia...ines_Flight_261

#210 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

An interesting side story for you sonikk4. This whole thing with the lawyers here in the US is sickening. When the Alaska Airlines Flight 261 crash occurred in 2000 and it was blamed on the failure of a jack screw that controlled the horizontal stabilizer, we at the Kennedy Space Center saw a common thread. We were having failures of jack screws on ground support equipment and inspections were not good enough to forecast replacements before a failure. So, very quickly, we came up with up a solution. A "Fail Safe and Continue to Operate" redundant nut system was devised for the jack screws that would meet our needs for the Space Shuttle equipment. The solution was offered to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and National Transportation and Safety Board (NTSB) that were investigating Alaska Airlines crash. Shortly after we were visited by lawyers interested in the development. We thought that they were there to help introduce the safety device into the main stream. We were wrong. They never told us who or what they were representing. But the bottom line of the crash investigation was to determine who was at fault; the airline that did not perform adequate maintenance of the aircraft or the aircraft designers that did not design out a failure mode.

In the end, the blame was placed on the airline poor maintenance practices. After that, the aircraft designers claimed that the "Acme Thread" jack screws were not being used on any new aircraft designs and the existing inspection practices were good enough for the existing fleet until it was decommissioned. There was no need to implement a redundant nut on anything. These conclusions were very frustrating for us.

http://www.iasa-intl...pdf/asw1118.pdf

https://en.wikipedia...ines_Flight_261

I commonly do these inspections on THSA screw jacks and it now quite clearly stipulates in the AMM to move the THSA to enable you to DVI all of the threads. Once inspected the gimbal and screwjack assy are then lubricated, the THSA moved throughout its range then relubricated.

Airbus are very stringent on their THSA assemblies. Certainly if there is a drive oil leak, its restricted to a set number of cycles with daily inspections until the whole unit can be replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users