245 replies to this topic

#226 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:04 AM

There's one big problem with trying to get zero/low co emissions from petrol or diesel engines, when your burning a carbon based fossil fuels.  And co emissions are completely different to mpg.

Is mpg not the real world best way to measure CO2. Surely the car that travels the furthest on the least fuel has the lowest emissions by very definition. not including any other lovely stuff that gets belched out like CO and nox etc.

#227 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

Every manufacturer that does diesels cheats emissions test, every single one of them. It's just not possible to achieve the emissions results the EU want, they should ease off on the emissions regulations a bit..

This is just wrong. Cheating, and testing within the guidelines are different things. The fact that the guidelines are not representative of real world driving is the issue which should be addressed.

the emissions as stated over and over is a complete joke. Putting more fuel and more components onto a car to reduce the effect directly from the tail pipe is backwards engineering in anyone's book surely! My 2003 golf tdi with 150k will return an easy 60 mpg if you're careful, I know of people with cars under a year old that are lower powered variants that cant match this!

That is as MPG is not the single target of emission testing. It is a benefit yes, but other factors such as Nox and particulate matter are of major concern, especially in heavily populated areas like London and the ULEZ that is coming. 

the VW cheat device only showed up poorly written the original tests were written and they did not even cover what people thought they did.

I have no idea what that meant :blink:  

Edited by Globule, 03 June 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#228 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

The 2 litre models should all be done by now or there abouts, I haven't heard of one being done yet, I'm thinking it won't happen you know.

#229 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:27 PM

I've had a letter saying I can take mine in for its fix - 2010 2.0 TDI Bluemotion.  

The letter is on headed paper with both VW and DVSA logos etc

As I regularly get 60+mpg I'm wary about having it 'fixed'.  They claim it will still achieve published power, torque & consumption figures (when has a car ever achieved published figures!)

#230 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

I've had a letter saying I can take mine in for its fix - 2010 2.0 TDI Bluemotion.  
The letter is on headed paper with both VW and DVSA logos etc

As I regularly get 60+mpg I'm wary about having it 'fixed'.  They claim it will still achieve published power, torque & consumption figures (when has a car ever achieved published figures!)

That's very good economy figures

#231 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 10:39 PM

It is - a big part of why I've still got it 6 years on. 

Supposed to be 140ps and does still pick its feet up well. I normally jump in it over my GTD for longer journeys - its like a comfy pair of slippers!

#232 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

Just seen this story on Wired: https://www.wired.co...diesel-mess-us/  Are UK customers getting the same $10,000 easement money?

#233 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

Just seen this story on Wired: https://www.wired.co...diesel-mess-us/  Are UK customers getting the same $10,000 easement money?

I doubt very much that the US customers will get that much. After the lawyers take their cut, there will be not much left for the customers.

#234 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:42 AM

I doubt very much that the US customers will get that much. After the lawyers take their cut, there will be not much left for the customers.

Oh yeah, silly me, forgot about the lawyers!

#235 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

Don't take the car for update - it's not compulsory.

There will be various downsides to the fix which is why VW cheated in the first place...

You might not see the immediate difference e.g. in performance or fuel economy but longer term the durability and maintenance costs could suffer.

For example, using more EGR to reduce the NOx will inevitably mean your EGR valve could fail more quickly, DPF will fill with soot more often, needing more regens.  Your catalyst will age more quickly, oil wll need changing more often due to more fuel in oil dilution etc etc etc

You will probably see more coking issues with intakes, sticking valves etc..

The KBA approval for the fix will not have looked at these things in great detail because they are long term effects.

Things like performance and fuel economy can be measured very quickly...

#236 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

Well VW have gone very quiet regarding my recall anyway so I've not got one to turn down yet! Still loving my new petrol Scirocco though :-)

#237 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-38043574

I guess they cheated the congestion charge ?

#238 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:30 PM

Over a year has gone by now without anything useful being done.

#239 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:52 PM

Over a year has gone by now without anything useful being done.

money talks 

I expect a few palms have been greased on this matter

#240 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:00 PM

I did have another letter very recently saying blah blah blah still working on a fix blah blah blah, not to worry etc etc etc

Well VW contrary to your thoughts, i am not worried, my car is still doing what it should be doing and i would very much like it to continue that way. before anything is done i would like to see an independent report on what effects if any having new software loaded will do to my car.

I have 168bhp give or take a few and i would like these to remain. When i buy a 175 CC next year i would like to think all of those diesel ponies will be present as well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users