459 replies to this topic

#31 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:48 PM

M machine do a full floor pan complete with cross member, heel board, sills and jacking points and is a round tunnel for remote change as per original, at least it's been made on a jig so all square which is something I am unsure about with existing floor as it's made up of 4 different panels.
Just measured the shell for my bracing so hopefully get something from work to make it up.
I am planning on leaving the doors on to help with alignment not sure if it's best way but can always take them off if get in the way.

Edited by Daz1968, 24 September 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#32 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:11 AM

Don't forget to sort out the bonnet slam panel.

So many people with a Mk 1, 2 or early Mk 3 have one like yours and it really detracts from a well restored car and makes you wonder what else they haven't done properly.

#33 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

thanks,

I am planning on doing everything correct this time as loads of info on net that wasn't available back then, also thinking of getting the parnel book to help.
The research is part of the fun

#34 WMU 211G

WMU 211G

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

It's not hijacking its inspiration, looking at those pics makes me want to keep the d1 wheels, just hoping I can keep the 7 inch discs as they fit just inside arches with those so no problem come mot.
Only update today is I have ordered my floor and doorsteps from m machine, just got to wait until they are delivered, hoping I can get the shell ready for when it arrives. Then at least I have a solid square base to build from.
It comes unpainted so might put a coat of epoxy on before fitting as it will help prevent rusting while I sort the rest out.
Are the newton recliners different to originals then as I would have thought if they are making something they would get it right, mine were bought years ago before prices got stupid. They defo make a difference on longer journeys though.

The Newton recliners have a softer vinyl than the genuine ones with much less 'grain', they're just as comfortable but you can tell the difference in the material if you see the two types side by side. Early Newton ones had the wrong ratchet handle but they have the correct chrome type now. Obviously these are the plain black vinyl Mk2 style but the Mk1 two tone recliners they do have a different grain, they have the brocade pattern embossed as well but on some that I've seen the gold or silver inlay doesn't line up with the embossing.

When I bought my S it already had the Newtons installed but also came with the original standard Mk2 non-reclining seats, I considered putting them back in the car but having owned a few Mk1s and 2s I know how uncomfortable they are so I sold them! I'm thinking about changing the recliners for something else but not sure what yet. My car's interior is all original bar the recliners, I've tidied up the door cards, rear quarter panels and rear seat covers by deep cleaning the vinyl with sugar soap but they were still a bit drab looking after rinsing with water and drying off, so I bit the bullet and resprayed them using Halfords black vinly aerosol paint. If you do it gently in twe or three coats it works ok, do it too close and it runs like nobodies business. I also painted the headlining, C-pillar trims and sunvisors in black to match the rest of the interior, the headling was fitlhy and the 'standard BMC glue stains' were doing my head in so I thought sod it and painted the lot. I made up a set of four purple furry floor mats to go with the deep purple exterior, I just bought some cheap rugs off Amazon and cut them to size. Until I can find or afford some proper Rolls Royce / Bentley / Jag deep pile sheepskin mats they'll do for now.... I've looked around and they ain't cheap...!

IMG_4888_zpsqv5whtaf.jpg

IMG_4886_zpsihmg0dwg.jpg

Any time you want to have a look at my car just give us a shout, I can drive up to Dudley no problem and I'll be at the Stoneleigh Minifest on 18th October ;-)

#35 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:01 PM

Thanks, it will be probably later in build I may need some reference material, problem is I restored it many years ago and to be honest exact parts were not readily available and the cars just wasn't worth the cost they are today so things were done differently.
Hopefully going to stoneleigh myself to hunt for some parts, hoping to find some door handle bosses and maybe badge chrome surrounds along with some new heritage panels if on offer.
Waiting for this floor is going to feel like ages as I am really looking forward to fitting it as have it all planned in my mind and want to put it into practice, ordered my box section for bracing at work today.
Before I cut out floor does anyone know thickness of steel on toe board as I am bound to need a few repairs and will source material ready

#36 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:00 PM

Hope the floor comes soon, and you get cutting away with that old floor it looks like it will be a nice fit as you no the car well and know that the car is straight etc. I can't wait to get stuck into my mk1 but it's a very bad way compared to this lol

#37 WMU 211G

WMU 211G

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

Chromed badge surrounds for Mk2s are easy to find, Minispares do them as do some other traders (are your bonnet and bootlid badge inserts original embossed ones..?). I put new door handles on mine and the bosses came with them, I also bought some new rubbers for the bosses but they didn't fit very well (bit on the small side) so I just cleaned up the originals and re-used them. I was tempted to put all the other door furniture back on the car - the chrome window channel, the soft rubber runners, the upright felt covered dividers etc but they looked aweful against the shiny new paint so I opened the wallet and bought all new stuff from Minispares. Likewise the exterior trim round the doors. Ideally my rear quarterlight window frames could do with rechroming but they're still ok. Incidentally the Mk1 / 2 rear qtr-light seals that Minispares do are a perfect fit. Sadly the Newton Commercial 'deluxe' fitted carpet set I bought isn't such a good fit, I'll need to replace it at some point or at least get the edges bound properly.

Wonder if I'll ever finish it...? !!

#38 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:56 PM

Yes I have a couple of badges original embossed ones, I also have two new old stock door handles as minispares don't do passenger one, will just look around for parts whilst I am doing the body not in a rush,

#39 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

Any progress daz? I was hoping for a cut out floor when I got back of holiday lol was wanting to Come on here and check but I had no signal. Cheers Tom

#40 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:37 PM

Will put some pics up tomorrow, have transferred it to other garage and stripped to bare shell and have some material for bracing the shell, so not far away from cutting now. I have a pic showing how low it was when I released suspension fluid, unfortunately I won't be cutting tomorrow as being a Sunday don't want to disturb the neighbours to much, I have 50 1mm slitting discs, 2 spot weld drills and a dust mask so am almost ready, it is a lot more stripped now though than this pic

273dbfd10a717182d46069c1c4a69ac3.jpg

#41 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:39 PM

Love it can't wait for progress and more pictures! Cheers Tom

#42 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

You need to get yours finished now, my mk1 broke a handbrake quadrant today so got to change that, it was an original 1962 one though so lasted well. Trouble is dry cars are different to hydro so I haven't got one in stock, another job on the list.

#43 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:04 PM

Can't wait to see this progress.

Good luck with it.

Ben

#44 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:19 PM

I might have one in my boxes of parts you
Can have unless you already have one? Ile have a look next time I'm up garage if you like? Cheers Tom

#45 ToM 2012

ToM 2012

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

Sorry you need hydro one? I have original dry one I think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users