159 replies to this topic

#61 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:09 AM

Hey miniman whats the story with yours? Where are you based? It does look very solid. Damn you! Ha

Its a long story, but basically I've had the car for about 7 years It's a rust free San Francisco California car, It's getting a 1380 with original Arden 8 port head on webbers. I have a workshop at Sears point race track (called Sonoma Raceway now) If there's anything I can help with just give me a bell at 707-217-6264. I'm also an ex pat from London.............

#62 blueovalcraig

blueovalcraig

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:13 AM

Hey Minimans,  Sorry to go completely off topic but I have family in San Francisco, well mainly Napa Valley now.  My Aunt used to own the Fog City Diner in San Fran.

#63 Chappers

Chappers

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Nice, sounds like you are living the dream over there in Cali!
Great find on the rust free West Coast shell. That engine is going to be glorious!

There was zero preservation effort from the previous owner for mine, it was like he wanted and actively tried to return it to the Earth.
However I actually like the build more than driving, so it keeps me entertained.

Im planning to get out to the West Coast next year for vacation. So I will look you up when I get over there! Thanks

#64 Chappers

Chappers

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:41 AM

Made more progress last night removing the boot floor, salvaging the seat brackets from the old crusty floor and tidying up the garage floor from the rust sprinkles.

mGgu5Q5.jpg
agkkTco.jpg

That gave me great access to the boot so I could poke my head in properly and assess the condition of the backside of the back panel. I saw a bit of a creepy crawleys nest, maybe wasp?

lSALNip.jpg

Ive been thinking about the scuttle panel. I kept the middle section which was in ok condition and can be salvaged. But the ends were too far gone so they were chopped and tossed.
Now Im finding that the scuttle for these early MK1 with the non recessed window aperatures are no longer available from anywhere. So unless someone knows any different I will have to buy the later scuttle ends and make them work.

Edited by Chappers, 14 December 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#65 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

You can buy scuttle repair panels for just the end sections, you may have to infill a little depending how far they got chopped off.

#66 Chappers

Chappers

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

Yeah I see the repair sections but they have the recessed window channel. I dont mind modifying it to suit, but it would be easier if I could get the right panel from the get go. Dont seem like they are available for the early mk1 stuff.

Same goes for the back panel, they sell mk1 rear panels, but they are not the early mk1 rear window type.

#67 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Try M-Machine, they'd be your best bet if anyone does a panel.

Despite your location, you will need to ring them - they don't do email very well!

#68 Chappers

Chappers

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:13 PM

Yeah I just received a large haul of panels from M machine last week, on the previous page.

Their mk1 scuttles are NLA.

I will just refurbish my center section and rework some later model repair ends to make them work.

#69 Chappers

Chappers

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

Wanted to get rid of the bad mess that was the old A post and A panel, where the previous owner had filled it with expanding foam, riveted a galvanized plate over the top with a load of body filler slapped on for good measure.
pyJTUW3.jpg
The inner wing is pretty solid for the most part, but needs a bit of repair at the top.
skOJK7u.jpg
I did buy some repair panels from M machine for this top area, but they are rather terrible and dont look like they will fit without a lot of modification.

So I just went ahead and cut out all that mess, including the door step as Im replacing that too. I added some extra bars in to tie the lower dash rail to the support frame so in theory the shell is still supported and kept aligned.
3qj2sUD.jpg
AbuCO6y.jpg
UXQpk0f.jpg

Quite a scary moment when I stepped back and realized there isnt much of the shell left!

I will start to clean up the firewall inside and out back to bare metal next and then attach the new toe board.

#70 Chappers

Chappers

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

Wanted to get rid of the bad mess that was the old A post and A panel, where the previous owner had filled it with expanding foam, riveted a galvanized plate over the top with a load of body filler slapped on for good measure.
pyJTUW3.jpg
The inner wing is pretty solid for the most part, but needs a bit of repair at the top.
skOJK7u.jpg
I did buy some repair panels from M machine for this top area, but they are rather terrible and dont look like they will fit without a lot of modification.

So I just went ahead and cut out all that mess, including the door step as Im replacing that too. I added some extra bars in to tie the lower dash rail to the support frame so in theory the shell is still supported and kept aligned.
3qj2sUD.jpg
AbuCO6y.jpg
UXQpk0f.jpg

Quite a scary moment when I stepped back and realized there isnt much of the shell left!

I will start to clean up the firewall inside and out back to bare metal next and then attach the new toe board.

#71 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:49 PM

Yeah that does look a little subliminal!

#72 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

Omg!! Nowhere to stitch new panel work onto but rust, thin air or crappy filler.

A good candidate for a new heritage shell if ever I’ve seen one....

#73 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

...and I mean the above with the utmost respect for the determination to get to the stage you’ve gotten to now

#74 Chappers

Chappers

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:59 PM

It can be very daunting at this stage I will admit, but its got to look worse before it looks better.
It will be reborn if the only original panels are the roof and the sides!
It didnt cost me much to buy in the first place so cutting into it hasnt been too disheartening.

#75 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 17 December 2017 - 02:15 AM

I watched a guy rebuild a pickup in the UK, by the time he was done the only panel that was original to the truck was the roof, but then he had to replace it too!  O_O  :proud: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users