14 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:36 PM

I've just been reading the thread regarding building an appendix k mini and one of the answers was that a swifttune works engine/ box will cost 25-35k
Can someone explain to me where that sort of money goes?

Shooter

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:15 PM

I've just been reading the thread regarding building an appendix k mini and one of the answers was that a swifttune works engine/ box will cost 25-35k
Can someone explain to me where that sort of money goes?

Shooter

Yeh....you and me both!!!!

I'm assuming the engines are full of magic fairy dust that adds 50BHP.

Seriously, i can appreciate good engineering, I can also see that certain bits cost money, but if trick bits and bobs are being made to justify the cost, then do these engines really pass as 'historic'......or are they more re engineered (very cleverly of course) and more akin to a modern take on the A series? 

Dunno why i'm commenting really, never going to be able afford to buy an engine like this and will stick to my home brew efforts......these engines are for the boys with big bank accounts that can write blank cheques, not the clubman racer.  When costs and budgets go silly like these i get turned off big time.....far too much BS and not enough sole for my liking.

#3 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:30 AM

I'm not sure on the overall costs but looking at the website a set of twin su's is going to set you back a big lump of cash to begin with... £1300

Plus I read that swiftune had the head recast after convincing the Motorsport body that there weren't enough nos left? Or something like that

Edited by Gr4h4m, 08 October 2015 - 04:33 AM.

#4 minivan2007

minivan2007

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:06 AM

Its all the little bits that add up you think its £50 just for a rocker shaft , £100 for head studs then another £100 for con rod bolts the list is endless

#5 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

Plus if the rules allow the parts that benefit will be super finished.
The machining will take ages and done in many stages to ensure that the engine has as little friction as possible.

If not all about parts and bolting it back together!

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:01 AM

attention to detail....

things like align honing everything, blue printing to the nth degree, selecting/matching components,  spending almost a week grinding a head... sourcing the correct block...

measure measure, and measure again....

#7 minivan2007

minivan2007

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

And unless your lucky and have of the machines needed to build an engine you will have to pay someone to build it so the man hrs are huge too

#8 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

I agree that skilled machining takes time, and that some things (like head grinding) don't happen over night.

But......a head grind......even if it takes a week......£1200 at most yes?

Numerous bolts, studs, fixings......yes they all add up but again not 'serious' money.

I know everything costs money, and having bores machined, stuff tweaked etc etc does cost...........but £25k!!!!!!!!

And sourcing the right 'block'.....really??.....I'm sure companies like Swiftune have them sat awaiting the next TV chef or rockstar who blew their motor up to place an order.

#9 luigi86

luigi86

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred&exhausted mk

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

In relative motorsport terms, for an engine and box of that level in historic motorsport the price isnt that bad.

The part people don't see and will never understand is just how much time each part takes to design, manufacture first offs, inspect, test etc before its made into a long run of parts. Plus all the tooling required to run the machines, all these things wear out and to a certain extent are factored into what you are buying. Every part of an engine at that level is made with maximum performance and reliability in mind. The actual build of the engine also takes a huge number of hours, let alone the dyno running and other testing before it can be delivered because lets face it, you dont want a 30k unit turning up that needs a bit of a fettle when you have bolted it in.

That being said, A few other companies out there will build you an engine thats capable in principle of beating a swiftune. KAD have proved that with Ian Curleys engine. Rob Selby will build you something that has the potential to win in the right package.

I do agree that some of the swiftune parts are marked up so high because of the brand selling them, but equally to the people who can actually afford the parts it doesnt matter to them if its a few k more than the builder round the corner if it comes with 'Swiftune' written on it and its 'the same as Nicks' then its worth it.

#10 mini_surfari

mini_surfari

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

I think most points of their pricing have been bought up, but the biggest cost is labour, the man hours that go into building these engines are incredible, they don't just get a load of bits machined, then throw it together in an afternoon, each one is perfect, and it has to be.

If there's 5 minis going round the track, two with ian curleys engines, one with s.h engineering engine, on with a slark engine and one with a swiftune engine, if the swiftune engine blows ups up, or has another problem its going to be fairly damaging to their reputation if the four finish.

lets also bear in mind these engines are ready to drop in and run, already run in, set ups etc.

I know its expensive and its well out of my budget, but its the unfortunate way the mini scene is going. And much to do with the greedy people involved now, not wanting to sell that mk1 cooper s that's been sat in there garage for 20 years for a few hundred quid to an enthusiast, theyd rather hold on to it and sell it to an investor for 8 grand. shame really. 

#11 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

You have to say the bloke that built the engine in endafs car a few years ago built a stonker

#12 mini_surfari

mini_surfari

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:01 PM

You have to say the bloke that built the engine in endafs car a few years ago built a stonker

cant deny that!

#13 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

med do the same cheaper 

#14 Cables

Cables

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

when they say 'new bolts' in many instances ive found good used is far superior to anything new nowadays, but thats going off another topic

#15 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

As previously posted, MED.
Quality proven parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users