MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:05 PM

I'm hoping to replace my faithful but seriously ageing daily drive with something more economical and have decided to bite the Bini bullet. I know there are better, cheaper and possibly better built cars about but I've fancy something a bit different from the VWs, audi's and (better not to mention) renault that I have before.

My daily round trip is 100mile, so its going to be Cooper D for economy, but my dilemma is whether to go for the clubman or the countryman. I much prefer the Clubman for looks but I'm not sure I can put up with lack of practicality and the stupid 3/4 door arrangement. I don't mind the countryman for looks and practicality but haven't heard much positive about them to own.

What are people thoughts (apart from don't buy a Bini  :D )

#2 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

if it has to be a bini then the clubman definitely. I can't see a single reason to buy a fake off roader. Its not that much bigger inside and you have to suffer a worse drive, worse fuel consumption and the image that an off road looking car gives

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:55 PM

Robs pretty much summed up my thoughts, not heard to many horror stories about heads and timing chains on the diesel though so a good sign

Edited by KernowCooper, 08 October 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#4 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Oh dear....oh dear..oh dear.....

#5 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:25 PM

Again vote for the clubman, once had the countryman as a curtesy car and thought it was a horrible drive seemed to roll and wander all over the road.

#6 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

Oh dear....oh dear..oh dear.....

Ok, I will come clean, its the only way I can persuade Mrs M&P to let me get a new car  :D

#7 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Do I need to post my Clubman picture again? Dont worry about the door, it's just the same as any 3 door car but you can open the rear up more than a normal 3 door for hoovering out the back or letting adults in and out.

#8 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:37 PM

Do I need to post my Clubman picture again? Dont worry about the door, it's just the same as any 3 door car but you can open the rear up more than a normal 3 door for hoovering out the back or letting adults in and out.

I find the 3 doors a pain with the kids and car seats, its not the end of the world but it would be better if the kids could jump in and out a bit easier

#9 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

The Countryman would be better for the kids but, well, it's really dull,lol.

#10 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:41 PM

New clubman comes out at the end of the month, ticks all the boxes?
http://www.newminicl...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

We might go and see what they offer us for our low mileage Clubby against a new one.

#11 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

New clubman comes out at the end of the month, ticks all the boxes?
http://www.newminicl...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

We might go and see what they offer us for our low mileage Clubby against a new one.

Outside my budget, otherwise the 5 door hatch would have done. Looks tidy thou. 

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:18 PM

Some interesting comparisons (from Australia) listed here :-

Head-to-head – MINI Clubman v MINI Countryman

http://www.drive.com...1011-27eve.html

My personal favourite is the R55 Clubman....... :mrcool:

SAM_4729_zps3cba5b33.jpg

SAM_4678_zps59eebfeb.jpg

14100590004_771d84acdd_o_zps296c8f0d.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 08 October 2015 - 11:31 PM.

#13 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:29 AM

I've had 7 Bini's since Feb 2012, including 2x clubman's, a countryman One D and I now have a 5dr F55 Cooper.  I loved the clubman's, surprisingly practical and great fun to drive (even the "one", the other was a Cooper S).  I liked the Countryman but it didn't feel as well built as the Clubman.  Build quality wise, the F55 is on a different level but I'd suggest for a mix of fun, practicallity and value for money - go for a Clubman.  Don't rule out the One D either, it was pretty impressive in a Countryman body shell but make sure you go for a post 2010 model to get the non PSA engine and the LCI updates.

#14 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

Having owned 2 R55 Clubman (Cooper S & SD) and 1 Countryman (JCW), and having drived both in Cooper D form for a week at a time, I'd make the following comments.

1. I loved my two Clubmen, I swapped because I'm 6ft, my step daughter got tall, and in reality the last one became a 3 seater as none of her friends could sit behind me.
  2. We never used the club door. I liked it, but it's on the wrong side for kerbs, in car parks you get trapped in the gap between it and the front door, and then can't close them becasue you and your rear passenger are in the way. It doesn't add that much practicality for people trying to get in the back anyway.
  3. The rear opening is quite small, well shallow to be precise. You'd struggle to get a washing machine through it on it's back.
  4. Clubman is the best handling second gen Mini I've driven, if it wasn't for point one I'd have had a JCW next.
  5. The Countryman is much more practical, especially for carrying Mini parts in.
  6. The diesel Countryman in D & SD form are slow, and thirsty, you'll be lucky to get 44mpg even all motorway. In fact I find mpg on the motorway pretty poor in mine, it's very slab fronted.
  7. The Cooper D & SD Clubman are pokey, not sure the SD brings too much to the party over the D. The D drive nicely on 16/17 inch wheels with none runflats.

To sum up; I love my JCW Countryman and what it brings for the family, and it doesn't half get people staring, but if I didn't need the rear legroom I'd go back to a Clubman anytime.

I'll be chopping the Countryman in for an All4 Cooper SD Clubman in March.

#15 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:39 PM

I have just been looking at the same two (for around 12 months time or so) but the Countryman costs far more than I want to spend so Clubman for me (or likely something else altogether). However, the reason we are looking for something new is we are planning to start a family - my intention is to get a Mini as a daily for going to work - something small and cheap to bomb down the A1 in. !f that happens, I almost don't care what the boring car is!

Some of the Works and modified Clubmans do look pretty sweet though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users