Photo
- - - - -

Suspension Knuckle Joint Fitting

Best Answer Spider , 08 October 2015 - 11:30 PM

Clean the drilling in the arm up with a wire wheel, get it as clean as you can (I usually work on them until they are like new) then Grease the outside of the cup before fitting, it will not only make it easier to fit, but should also stop rust in the future. I pulled the ones out of the fronts on my Wife's car after 18 year with my fingers, all still in tact.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slatept

slatept

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:55 PM

Hi
Anybody got a tip for fitting the nylon knuckle joint into the rear radius arms. Got the old ones out by butchering them and was thinking of splitting the joint and using the wood vice to push them in. Don't want to damage the joint so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:07 PM

If everything is clean the should push in easily by hand. Make sure the small hole at the bottom of the socket is clear so they don't airlock.

#3 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:14 PM

Sometimes it helps to slightly grind out the cup recess in the arm with a dremell

#4 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

I have found the 'genuine' ones just pop in nice and easy as long as the cup recess is nice and clean (ie cleaned out with some emery paper). The cheaper ones I find are usually a little tight, and so I usually rub round the body with emery paper until they fit - not loose fitting, but able to be pressed in by hand.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:30 PM   Best Answer

Clean the drilling in the arm up with a wire wheel, get it as clean as you can (I usually work on them until they are like new) then Grease the outside of the cup before fitting, it will not only make it easier to fit, but should also stop rust in the future. I pulled the ones out of the fronts on my Wife's car after 18 year with my fingers, all still in tact.

#6 slatept

slatept

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:01 AM

Thanks a lot all. Useful tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users