9 replies to this topic

#1 New game mini

New game mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:04 PM

Hi folks, I'm sorry to be a total noob/nana/melt (feel free to add) but my 86 Mayfair auto has failed His mot today on a couple of bits and I could do with some help translating the fails into noob language as I don't want to be replacing the wrong bits. The fails listed are:

'Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded off side front (floor)'

'Subframe attachment rubber mounting bonding deteriorated resulting in excessive movement offside front (rear mounting)'

'Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded nearside front (inner wing bottom)'

I also have excessive free play in my steering rack detected at the steering wheel. And need a new rack, is this a professional only job??

I know these aren't big fails but the wording has just thrown me to be honest.

Any advice or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

#2 Gerbil367

Gerbil367

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 09 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

If you are going to do the work on the front subframe - it will make the steering rack replacement a bit easier!  Pain of a job, but might as well do them all in a oner!! I think there was a thread on rack replacement a little while back??  Maybe someone else will be able to point you to it?

#3 New game mini

New game mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

That sounds good. I would prefer to do it all myself I'm just not very good :P but only one wayvto learn! :D

Been looking at the bits I think I need and they're much cheaper than I thought which is a bonus.

I think I just need to have a look at the car later when I'm home to visualize what some of the fails are as the wording has thrown me a bit.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

The corrosion will be on the toeboard where the rear mount of the front subframe attaches. This is a job that can be done without removing the subbie but as you will need to drop the subframe a few inches to get access to the steering rack this will help.

The other welding will be the lower flitch area, again it's not a big job but worth doing properly. Can you weld???

You don't have to remove the subframe to change the rack but it needs to be lowered by at least 3 to 4 inches to get plenty of access. Now is the play in the rack or the track rod ends??? It could be the steering column bushes.

#5 New game mini

New game mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:28 PM

The corrosion will be on the toeboard where the rear mount of the front subframe attaches. This is a job that can be done without removing the subbie but as you will need to drop the subframe a few inches to get access to the steering rack this will help.

The other welding will be the lower flitch area, again it's not a big job but worth doing properly. Can you weld???

You don't have to remove the subframe to change the rack but it needs to be lowered by at least 3 to 4 inches to get plenty of access. Now is the play in the rack or the track rod ends??? It could be the steering column bushes.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I can't weld yet unfortunately so looks like it's out of my hands 😞. Am I right in thinking it's not the mounts that need replacing but the area that the mount attatches to that needs repairing?? (Sorry)
The steering play is in the rack end according to the list.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,895 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

Excessive corrosion on the toeboard / floor will be just that so yes that will need welding, however it does say 'Subframe attachment rubber mounting bonding deteriorated resulting in excessive movement offside front (rear mounting)'

Now to me that sounds like the rear mounts are shot so i would do both sides.

If its the front mount then that is the tear drop between the front of the subframe and the front panel. One bolt holds that on.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,895 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:48 PM

This might help, this picture is the toeboard area where the front subframe rear mount fits and like yours this failed due to corrosion. The metal strap you see is for the mount

IMG_1624_zps464457b0.jpg

This is corrosion at the bottom of the flitch / inner wing area

DSC04521.jpg

And this is the rear mount

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

And this is the tear drop mount

The mounting strap in the first picture

I would double check the steering rack to see if its the track rod end and not the rack.

#8 New game mini

New game mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 12:08 AM

Thats awesome. Massive help, thanks a lot!!

#9 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

Prescribed areas are within 30cm of anything structural, VOSA used to send out dvds to MOT stations as and when things changed or needed clarification, they're all online now but here's the corrosion one. Explains a lot but it'll probably be good if you need help falling asleep too..

https://youtu.be/KQR43OP2Yas

#10 New game mini

New game mini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Prescribed areas are within 30cm of anything structural, VOSA used to send out dvds to MOT stations as and when things changed or needed clarification, they're all online now but here's the corrosion one. Explains a lot but it'll probably be good if you need help falling asleep too..
https://youtu.be/KQR43OP2Yas

Thats great. good to know what it means! Thanks a lot,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users