319 replies to this topic

#16 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

Yaayyy another one! Had lots of fun building mine and you will learn alot too. Wired by wilson is the way to go, he worked wonders with mine and ive been able to use the imobiliser on an optional basis. Pretty useful backup :)

Im using an mpi tank and pump. The spi pump isnt strong enough to supply the correct pressure. Fortunately my car already had the lines running under the car but making your own is simple enough.
And make sure the alternator is lined up bang on straight or it can cause issues lol

#17 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:09 AM

Clearance so you can get the engine out and leave the gearbox in situ, my frame was a bit tight in the sides, doable but tight.

And yh like junky says get the alternator straight! If your running one backwards like mine I would recommend getting a smaller lightweight alternator as I'm having alot of hassle with mine. Additionally if you can get her to run with two belts then I would go for it. I had a pickle early in the year when my belt went and then the waterpump drive went too as they drive the same

L

#18 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

Each to their own but making mpi stalks fit a non-mpi is hard enough - i wouldn't want to try and make non-mini fit and work as well.

And make the self cancelling etc work? 

I'm not sure it's worth the hassle!

You can always use the Micra column and adapt it to fit the mini at the rack end ...on my swift conversion I shortened the swift column and just put the old mini splined connector on the bottom.  

That way you just connect up the end items like lights and the wipers ...also makes it really simple if you get problems down the line.  

Did not even shorten the Suzuki loom ...just looped it a couple of times and it lays under the dash.

I'd also suggest cutting and welding the driveshafts ...much cheaper than getting a set made.

Edited by DomCr250, 31 October 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#19 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

Please find someone proffesional to do the shafts if you choose to cut and shut.. ive seen some awful examples that are just downright dangerous. Also flywheels, if you are fitting a lightened one avoid the ones that are on ebay at the moment.. they have too much material removed and are unsafe!

#20 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

I'd never weld the drive shafts myself to much risk involved plus I've not got any way to balance them, I've spoken to a few companies so nearer the time when I'm able to get exact measurments I should be able to get some prices for custom drive shafts.

I'd not really given a great deal of thought about the alternator as of yet was just going to get my frame made and then plan the alternator round the space I have left. If I have space at the front then I'll squeeze it in if not then spec it will be mounted to the side and ran backwards.

I managed to crack the pulled that drives the alternator belt from the crank when I removed the engine ooooops so was hoping to just run the one belt else I'll have to source a new pulley :(
Should be more updates after Monday thanks for all the helpful comments :)

#21 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:58 PM

Nice to see another one.

#22 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Mini Club

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:10 PM

Good luck dude. I started mine about 3 weeks ago and it's gone well so far but pretty sure I'm getting a few more gray hairs.... check out mine if you get a chance I've pretty much finished the subframe modification as I'm doing the same as you. Modifying my original mini one to use the standard suspension components and fit under a standard round nose :-)

#23 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

Good luck dude. I started mine about 3 weeks ago and it's gone well so far but pretty sure I'm getting a few more gray hairs.... check out mine if you get a chance I've pretty much finished the subframe modification as I'm doing the same as you. Modifying my original mini one to use the standard suspension components and fit under a standard round nose :-)

Started reading yours a while ago I must say your jig looks very smart as does your frame I doubt mine will look that neat lol

#24 Shingler4596

Shingler4596

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Mini Club

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

Started reading yours a while ago I must say your jig looks very smart as does your frame I doubt mine will look that neat lol
Never doubt... just think about things it's always best just to step back for a while with a brew and just think. Take inspiration from other people's frames! That's why we post photos!! :-) I'm sure yours will be awesome. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it comes along! And I too will be facing the dreaded wiring soon 😯

#25 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

I think I just need to get used to my new welder if I'm honest, if it wasn't for other people's builds I never would of taken this journey to start with lol even the comments ive received are inspiring and motivating :)

Tomorrows plan is to finish stripping bits off the micra then I can get it outta the workshop and start chopping the subframe about, need to find some floor mounts first tho so I can attach it to my jig properly as at the moment the bulkhead is being pulled at a funny angle as its only attached via the tower bolts

#26 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

may be able to help supply you custom one piece drive shafts when you need them piing us a message when your ready  

#27 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

may be able to help supply you custom one piece drive shafts when you need them piing us a message when your ready  

Cheers mate I will keep you in mind, where abouts you located to ?

#28 lucas1amps

lucas1amps

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Local Club: Weston Mini Muckers

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

clevedon just off junction 20 on the m5 

#29 thelegg

thelegg

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:55 PM

Do you make the shafts near to where you live then ?

#30 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:32 PM

Sorry for the thread hijack but lucas1amp, is that offer only available for micra conversions? I have a mini in a workshop in Clevedon too and will need some made at some point in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users