#1 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

Hi all

New to posting on here but been watching all your projects for some time. I finally taken the plunge and got myself a 1970 clubman as a base to start the project. Needs to be stripped and shell made good before I even think about cutting the back out. I have thousands of questions for you "experts" but this will be a long post so here is just the one

What engine do I get. R1, Busa, Blackbird, GSXR 1000???????
Not really being into bikes I have no idea.

Oh and also whats best place to get one from (another question I know)

Will post some pics soon.

Robnut

#2 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

The engine choice will generally depend on your budget and power requirements.

R1 will be aroun 140-180bhp depending on the year and will range from 700-1500ish

Blackbirds are about 170bhp not sure on price though

GSXR-1000 is 180bhp again not sure on price

Hyabusa is 180bhp (but with big torque figures compared to the others which is why they're considered the daddy) but usually cost around the 3000 mark.

So at the end of the day you pay your money you takes your choice.

#3 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

Cheers for that Ade.

Your car looks really good. Goes well too from what I saw at Stratford. Spent most of my time at the show sniffing around the zcars area looking at all the cars and getting ideas.

#4 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

Cheers for that Ade.

Your car looks really good. Goes well too from what I saw at Stratford. Spent most of my time at the show sniffing around the zcars area looking at all the cars and getting ideas.

Thanks.

but I still find it funny that a few people have said that but I didn't have a single run i was happy with! Am looking forward to another stab at it now the things been re-mapped. :w00t:

#5 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

Robnut, welcome to looney land! A land of haemorrhaging bank balances, and bleeding ears. Good man. The more the merrier :w00t:

On the subject of injuns, I can't offer any more advice, or knowledge than Ade has above, BUT I would strongly recommend that whatever manufacturer you decide upon, make sure the engine is fuel injected as it makes it so much easier to set the fuel mixture throughout the rev-range when complete. You can't easily ad things like super chargers to carb'd engines either.....

Other than that, have fun!

#6 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:12 PM

DD

I have to admit that your ride is awsome. I am hoping to get somewhere near to the quality of this.
I did think of having a carbed R1 engine, but after hearing about problems folks have had I think I will steer clear.

Any chance of sending me some pics of your dash board. Tried to get some at Stratford but was unable and didnt like to ask....

#7 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

Hi all

New to posting on here but been watching all your projects for some time. I finally taken the plunge and got myself a 1970 clubman as a base to start the project. Needs to be stripped and shell made good before I even think about cutting the back out. I have thousands of questions for you "experts" but this will be a long post so here is just the one

What engine do I get. R1, Busa, Blackbird, GSXR 1000???????
Not really being into bikes I have no idea.

Oh and also whats best place to get one from (another question I know)

Will post some pics soon.

Robnut

Hi Rob, Welcome to the forum and the manic world of bike engined minis!!!!

Have you been up to Z-cars yet for a demo ride??
I would recommend it or maybe get in touch with one of the guys on here who have finished articles ( mines nearley done) and have a run in them if you can ?
Then allow at least £10k as a starting point for which ever motor you decide to fit, The more jobs you can manage yourself the cheaper it will be for you.
There is always plenty of help available from us all on here, just ask away????
Whereabout are you based in the country?

Cheers

Edited by markrally73, 11 August 2006 - 10:44 PM.

#8 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:52 PM

Hi mark

Thanks for the welcome. No I haven't been to ZCars yet but am planning to.
I see that you are in Wrexham. I livw in Stoke-on-Trent but I work just outside whitchurch. I would like to take you up on the offer of having a ride in you beast or at least have a nose around it.

Rob

#9 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

Hi mark

Thanks for the welcome. No I haven't been to ZCars yet but am planning to.
I see that you are in Wrexham. I livw in Stoke-on-Trent but I work just outside whitchurch. I would like to take you up on the offer of having a ride in you beast or at least have a nose around it.

Rob

No problem, its not road legal yet but i hope to have it at the british mini day in stafford on the 3rd september which is near to you anyway.
Get yourself a copy of the build DVD as you can start cutting and prepping before you have the kit.

Cheers

#10 titters

titters

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

Hi there Rob

im only in stafford and have nearly finished my hayabuse mini, feel free to come and take a look and if its finished by then i will take you for a spin in it! I have always been a fan of Yamaha and there engines but the busa motor has more torque and does not need as many revs to pull off, but does cost quite a bit more to buy as the westfield lads use loads of them.

Attached File  I.JPG   639.66K   40 downloads

Hi there Rob

im only in stafford and have nearly finished my hayabuse mini, feel free to come and take a look and if its finished by then i will take you for a spin in it! I have always been a fan of Yamaha and there engines but the busa motor has more torque and does not need as many revs to pull off, but does cost quite a bit more to buy as the westfield lads use loads of them.

#11 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

I have always been a fan of Yamaha and there engines but the busa motor has more torque and does not need as many revs to pull off,

You are indeed correct about the torque but amount of revs to pull away??? I can pull away from around 2-3000rpm no worries at all. Considering the idle is around 1600rpm thats not very high at all.

#12 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

Mark

Looking forward to seeing your car at stafford as I will be going.

Titters

Thanks for that offer and I would like to take you up on it. Excellent colour by the way.

Was at MITP but no zcars as I saw. Only bike engined beast was the huddersfield mini mini...........

Little dispondant with me clubby at the moment as I have more body work to do than i thought.

Will try to get pics up if I can soon though.

Lookin forward to getting out in a Zcars soon so I can shut my wife up. She has a S2000 and keeps telling me how good it sounds at 9000 rpm. Try 13000..

Rob

#13 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:02 PM

Well finally taken the plunge and ordered my kit from Chris ( plus other things). Decided to go for the vtec version after having a demo in one between christmas and new year.
Car is now not far from having the back cut out. I would post some pics but have no idea what to do.

Rob

#14 adyzr1

adyzr1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:15 PM

nice one,
r u still using the clubby? will be nice to see another vtec build

uploading pics is easy, just plug your camera into computer ,transfer them onto pc, save them to your desktop, then when you are posting see the attachments link ,click browse, then open them from your desktop, click upload then add reply :wub:

ady

Edited by adyzr1, 24 February 2007 - 11:21 PM.

#15 Robnut

Robnut

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:22 PM

Cheers for that will give it a go

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users