170 replies to this topic

#1 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

Grandfather B died of cancer when I was still in shorts.

He left home when he was 16 and was an autodidact.

He fixed anything and everything mechanical.

He was distant, grumpy and scary but his house, garage and workshop were a wonderland of machines and pieces and parts.

His passion for those same machines rubbed off on me and before all my own hair falls out I do this in his memory.

Thanks grandpa B

So with my bemis in hand, my genuine Bemis and Call monkey wrench. I swapped 3tons for 750kgs and everyone was happy. I got this badge and what it's attached to. It's been sitting in field for over a decade.  It's the crack of dawn for my first ever Mini project.  I have never done this before but thanks to the TMF am happy to be able share much of this with you all.

It's actually a '93 Spi not a Cooper S, some young 'un just stuck that on there back in the day.

(Oops, sorry 'bout the giant pix, I don't know how to post thumbnails from photobucket)

CIMG2564_zpsr9gmhj3q.jpg

IMG_5178_small_zps2flik7gq.jpg

#2 James_eaton_thewholething

James_eaton_thewholething

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

Good luck with the build. Don't worry about the size of the pics the bigger the better

#3 Corey96Williams

Corey96Williams

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:28 PM

Have you got any more photos of it?

#4 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:41 PM

@Corey

yes it has stuff growing in the windows

and came with buckets of half smoked cigarettes all over the place.  I must have cleaned out over 50

I took me a while to get to the battery which was still there, had to unbolt the right hand side of the boot

and get the nuts off going through the speaker hole as the key tumbler was rusted solid

will post as the tear down comes along

CIMG2575_zpsdohuyoif.jpg

CIMG2576_zpsnq2gp2r0.jpg

#5 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

Moving along, somebody likes the drivers seat

CIMG2595_zpsg7idvij7.jpg

I found a 5mm concrete drill bit hit from the pointed end drives the gear shift pin out in just a couple of taps

CIMG2628_zpsvlsxhpxb.jpg

mostly just removing everything, but took a little time to try out some resoration techniques, here's the before and after on one of the seat springs that wasn't in the best of shape

CIMG2586_zpssmwr6w5y.jpg

CIMG2635_zpsu0vmxlfr.jpg

#6 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

I don't know if you can get Deox C there (in japan?) but we find it great for rust removal from awkward to get at pieces.
Have you got any pictures of the whole car?
JohnR

#7 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:03 PM

@John sure

IMG_5165_zpsimr84ags.jpg

CIMG2571_zpsykxkse2u.jpg

Moving along

CIMG2630_zpsffmbmx24.jpg

CIMG2603_zpsfg2wkdnw.jpg

Those little 8mm manifold cover bolts often are in very tight and the heads are soft.  If I get a rounded off head, what works for me is to file down the hexagonal bolt faces to the next spanner / socket size down, so from 8mm to 7.5mm or 7mm, then get it to when the next smaller socket just just fits, hammer it on and you now have a really good purchase to remove the die hard bolt.  So far it has worked everytime.

#8 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:04 PM

The 11mm break line locking nuts are very tight.  What worked best for me was to take a cheap 10mm spanner and file the inside down until it was only just possible to fit it on with a little tap from a hammer, got them all off the first time with no damaged heads.

Almost ready to pull the engine. Here's a pic of the left wing

CIMG2613_zpsj9a8abl1.jpg

Edited by ryomini, 09 November 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#9 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

Ah good old Japan minis. At least you won't have any major structural body work to worry about (your pictures already suggest that the car is very solid). As a jap mini owner, I know how good they are!

Good luck, will be watching this thread with interest.

As an aside, I am curious to know what the climate is over there?  I don't know exactly where my mini is from, all I know is that it is from a southern island. Do you get rain? ( I guess you must!) I believe that there is no salt used on the roads, and I am sure that is why the cars last so well, however I would have expected that they would still rust due to rain - is there not alot of rain?

Edited by spiguy, 09 November 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,301 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Part of the reason you are struggling with bolts is that they will be imperial sizes, not metric. The brake line nuts for instance are 7/16" AF (across flats). Although this is slightly larger than 11mm.

#11 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

@Graeme thanks for the reminder - I have a few imperial spanners and sockets.  I agree with you it always pays dividends to get a really good fit on the fastner in question.  The four little bolts with phillips heads holding the useless fresh air vent on each side are all 'frozen' solid, guess  I may have to drill the heads off. (I want to take the air vents off permanently but I don't like to leave a bolt stuck in the thread - I may have to drill the bolts out too)

THANKS TO ALL ON THE FORUM

with ideas and tips here and there I made an 'A' frame, soldered eyelets into some old plugs and a neighbour gave me an old chain pulley - all out in 5 minutes (I used a crowbar to push the driveshafts out - very easy)

So much to do now...

CIMG2668_zpsug2tyg7v.jpg

CIMG2666_zps7qqc9vuw.jpg

Edited by ryomini, 10 November 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#12 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:03 PM

Battery box before / after

CIMG2640_zpsf2bg4qt7.jpg

CIMG2670_zpswb20e7el.jpg

Not so pretty here

CIMG2672_zps5uptlakh.jpg

CIMG2674_zpsmh7wcmap.jpg

Fully air conditioned Mayfair

CIMG2677_zpsv0bh2gst.jpg

#13 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

Nice to see a jap mini under resto

Loads of car enthusiasts with very nice retro cars there

#14 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

Jaydee thanks

heavy rain hampers work, had fun removing the castellated hub nuts, back sub frame to go.  Now I need to make a resto plan.  I made a tool to remove the hub nuts same diameter as the front suspension top nuts.  A piece of pipe that I hammered 6 faces onto and welded a bar to the top then added a 17mm nut for the 'windy gun'.

CIMG2682_zps0q4f8klb.jpg

CIMG2681_zps3n1uvnom.jpg

CIMG2685_zpspeysgvwi.jpg

#15 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:17 AM

Sometimes when I'm not ripping bits off the car I do a little resto - I'm not sure how this finish will hold up

after chemically dipping no matter how quick I rinsed and dried the part, there was always a build up of surface rust - it just has one coat of heat temp rattle can - so I won't be suprised if it goes rusty or chips off easily but it's better (still needs to be decoked and all mating surfaces need checking, threads too)

Before, half of it dipped, after

CIMG2641_zpsuke9aseh.jpg

CIMG2659_zpsvefy32me.jpg

CIMG2686_zpsifkll11h.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users