who I really didn't get to know enough

He was born in Kent in 1907 !

and left us in 1975, only 67 years old

He joined the RAF as an apprentice and learned his engineering skills

Worked his way up to a Sergeant and then a pilot.  Finally becoming

a comissioned officer

He was experimenting on Spitfires with floats, being catapaulted off ships

The floats made the Spits very unbalanced and he crashed busting an eardrum

(in fact he hit his head on the wing whilst bailing !)

so not being able to fly operationally when war broke out in '39

He became station commander in Libya and retired in '56

Unfortunately Colon cancer got the better of him

I enjoyed his enthusiasm for everything mechanical and his extreme concentration whilst working.

I dearly wish I had know him longer and would have loved to hear some of his flying stories.

He was I believe the first pilot to fly to the Andaman Islands

His wife was a fantastic cook and we were never hungry after a visit to the grandparents.

I guess I am lucky to have known mine when many don't know theirs.

Like my grandad I enjoy machines very much but I don't like violence so in many ways I am happy that grandpa

was not flying combat missions in the war but was still able to enjoy flying.

Thanks for following the build and all the best with your own efforts !

#137 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

Update

had some issues with a poor idle, a worn radiator hose, leaking from the timing cover

idle looks to be fuel pressure running a little low - so upgrading the pump

will probably be able to post on results in about 3 weeks or so

inching towards having this car on the road - hopefully the motor will be worth it by then ;)

#138 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hallo all update for those who read this thread

with a bit of fettling a fuel pump was fitted in keeping the original piping and electrical connectors

my new water pump leaked so I had to replace that (still need to get back to the supplier on that one)

a plastic part in the steering rack needed changing

a few niggles here and there, but the car runs very well, is very smooth to drive and a whole lot of fun

I am hoping to get some miles with this one - and every now and then add a little something to it

got my new plates and a short trip to the local beach

CIMG3692_zpsxxswj3uj.jpg

CIMG3690_zpsdybkv9zd.jpg

CIMG3696_zpslqv6ercb.jpg

CIMG3697_zpsylu1mbsr.jpg

CIMG3698_zpsyb6q18rd.jpg

#139 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

Brilliant that you were able to finish building this lovely mini. Looking amazing! 

#140 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:13 AM

Looks fantastic! 

#141 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:10 AM

Hey guys keep the praises coming ;)  I thrive on praise !

I must say I am really very very happy with the final 'balance' of the car.  The gearbox is a PEACH, smooth as butter and so easy to change gears, maybe because the oil is all fresh and new, but still one of the nicest boxes I have ever owned

got the sat nav wired in so I now know WHERE I am going haha

engine cc size, camshaft and flywheel the balance is just brilliant

it's zippy has good clean acceleration from idle to well past 5000 rpm and is so easy to drive, no bogging, stalling or anything

engine noise is a little 'boomy' at idle but is suprisingly sweet at driving pace and really quite comfortable

people told me the lightened flywheel would be this and that - it's amazing, revs up feels so light and it still has very smooth enigne braking

how would I describe this - well it's like a Cutty Sark or a Dewars White label - balanced, smooth, subtle, strong but creamy with a hint of vanilla, spice and lemon

it's kind of like a Ford Fiesta 1275 zetec engine crossed with a KTM 600 cc single and what does it remind me of the most, my first car, a Triumph Toledo, the great big wooden steering wheel, feedback through the wheel is outstanding, and very sharp, everything you do the car does, even the handbrake works

the connector to the fuel pump at the tank is a bit 'iffy' and needs cleaning

for anyone looking at a fairly low budget smooth, fastish and well capable of cruising around engine  I think I hit the bulls eye with the specs - the final drive is just right.  For now I am a happy owner and can't drive enough of it...

all the best with your project and hope that some of my goof ups and ideas have helped you along to a better build :)

#142 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

Here are some educational slideshows

#143 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:59 AM

CIMG3807_zpsfatt3ds3.jpg

CIMG3806_zpsoa446ud5.jpg

CIMG3805_zps51gpvlyk.jpg

#144 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:49 AM

cPV5nG3.jpg

dfn5bHY.jpg

#145 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:05 AM

I love the look of your mini! She (he?) is sounding sweet too

Edited by jonlad, 30 December 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#146 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

Jonlad

thanks for your comment.  I don't really update this thread much, but do enjoy rambling on about mine and other's mini's.  I am a massive fan of WW2 military vehicules whilst still seeing wars in themselves as very very terrible things.  You have to make some calls when building a car and for the most part I got them right, a few small mistakes is to be expected too.

It revs up to and over 6k but I don't often push it there as there really isn't much need on the road.  It feels light and nippy and really is the best car to drive that I have owned.  It's my daily driver.  The great thing is my previous mini only ran on high octane, what the brits call 5 star I believe, but this one, with the flowed head runs super sweet on 'regular' petrol - so quite a saving at the pump over time.

The engine is a Japanese spec 1275 spi with a light steel flywheel and a highish lift cam.  Flowed head, rest is stock, just an ally rad becaue the old one sprung a leak.  I wish I had the minivan though - could do with the extra space.  Next time my daughter comes over I'll see if we can make a little 'sound' video to put up. 

Had to change the gear shift shaft oil seal - cost about 3 pounds and took about 30 minutes.  The AC needs charging up and needs a new seal somewhere as it loses it's pressure over the winter season.

What mini diid you work on - if you are still reading this ;)

It's pretty good up to 4k then it gets a bit loud as there is zero insulation in the car, I don't have a radio I just love listening to the engine, my grandpa tought me to do that, and my own thoughts. 

#147 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:40 AM

Hello there

it's been too long

autumn is here now and it's a great time to be out and driving.  I've seen that other TMF users keep their builds up to date with progress logs.  Maybe that would be interesting reading for others, if it's not too rambly...

I've had some fabulous time in the car.  Some small difficulties

- a fuse popped out under the bonnet and I had to pull that little cluster out and find the one that wasn't connecting

- a fuse popped out under the dash, same thing, but sorted pretty easily

- recently I was bombing down a very big mountain at 5.30 in the MORNING !! and the passenger side wheel bearing crapped out, the steering wheel went bananas and the disk started to ding a ling a ding dong, fortunately for me I was over the crest and had to glide down about 30 minutes, and managed to just pull in to a garage forecourt when the whole hub seized up,

had to get taken back, insurance did the road side service thing, but needed a new bearing, hub and disk, and that hit my wallet

anyways looking forward to getting back on the road and hoping to get many many more miles.

- I put aluminium backed foam and felt on the roof for insulation and am now working on making a centre / center console

- I would like to put in adjustable steering and tie rods (as my rose joints finally died and the threaded ball end was pooped too) as a little negative camber makes for really sweet steering,

will try to get some pics up for next time

#148 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:15 AM

Wee pac ( wipac )

is it a little six pack of highland lager, a day bag for Edinburgh residents, but no it's a brand of headlights that many say are pretty good but not as good a Cibie. A good value item.

I bought the S6702 crystal clear polycarbonate with sidelamps version, stamped E9. Not overly expensive but not the cheapest.

Fitting. You can remove the original mini sidelamp plastic housing but pushing the 4 clips and can then remove the bulb holder copper ends and remove the wire.

It's up to you to install a waterproof 2 pin connector, I just soldered the new sidelamp wires to the original mini wires, one red, one black.

I deconnected the battery before working and at each stage did a test to see that the sidelight worked then the beam / full beam, doing each lamp one at a time.

The silicone sidelamp holders are very fragile and you can even push the copper clips right out the back if your bulb is a tight fight, so when fitting hold the back of the clips where they enter the silicone housing really tight so that this doesn't happen.

I found if you bend the wires at the bottom of the silicone housing up really hard and flat, there is no need to cut, drill, sand or modify the lamp bowl – this is better as the lamp bowl remains more watertight.

It's a very close smooth fit, but it's fine.

(camera focus – I always manage to focus on the other part, doh)

When closing up, don't forget the small rubber washers on the 3 screws holding the retaining ring, I made my own out of inner tube and glued them in place as inevitably they have a habit of running away.

The results – of course I love it !

I now need a new steering rack, could do with some new grooved dimpled brake discs (not overly expensive imo) and then if possible a set of adjustable tie bars and lower arms, after that I would love to install adjustable gas shocks. At least I can see at night now!

DxRYNZg.jpg

0TPA1oF.jpg

jmYkh8W.jpg

w1TgNOj.jpg

cZuQi4C.jpg

TNC7Cvp.jpg

VcZ9Wj1.jpg

HDzfj2o.jpg

RJHaYKP.jpg

Edited by ryomini, 14 October 2018 - 03:19 AM.

#149 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:22 PM

Nicely done. Those look much brighter than standard lights. 

#150 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:34 PM

Brilliant! I love how you made this look.

How did you get the paint to look so old and weathered?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users