#151 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up,

about the painting, unfortunately I rushed through some parts, but it still came out ok ish.  Things like the streaky effects is just using very thinned paint and fine strokes, for the roof after putting the base coat down and rubbing down, I sprayed it with hairspray then sprayed over the top of that, then washed it hard with water and a scrubbing brush, the paint lifts off in interesting patterns - could have down with some more practice, but still I enjoyed doing it !

#152 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:19 PM

Cat Nap !!!

I made this for my cat so that he can sleep in the sun - seems to have worked.  The wood and screws for the frame were about 3 times more than I paid for the seats themselves, I love the look of those little back seats, was thinking of doing a front seat comfy chair too if I can pick one up

lAMAKpj.jpg

2gqWwhr.jpg

#153 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

I think it has been 30 000 kms since the build and sudenly things are getting exciting

looks like I blew the head gasket - got spark but poor compression in cylinders 2 and 3

so can't get to it this week, but next week will be taking the head off,

may take the time to get it skimmed if it's only the gasket,

could be worse, time will tell

back to the bicycle for now

#154 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hi,

Between 2&3 almost certainly the head gasket, hope it's good weather for cycling!

Cheers  :proud:

#155 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

update

ugh a tough and fun time while on the bicycle

Project Willy is at friends car shop, amazingly he said that when he has a slot I can, if I want, go and do the work myself, so I jumped at the chance.  The problem was I waited almost three weeks for a space in the shop.

About 6 months to a year ago, my memory fails me on this one, I should have taken notes in my car notebook (next time), about a quarter of the top of a spark plug's ceramic came off and went into the chamber (it wasn't firing too good so that's how I found the faulty plug).  As the car ran well with the new plug and there were no bad sounds I left it and spent a long time checking the oil debris on the following oil change (seemed all ok)

So that may have contributed to my head failure.

fEhwfXo.jpg

plugs came out very oily and dark.  Started compression testing cylinder 2 - almost zero, added oil and it only went up about half a bar, so head off.

LDPxSXw.jpg

#156 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:38 AM

Miserable but not horrendous - and I really appreciate any advice about what I need to do in the mid term future.  For now.  Getting the head off with the AC is a bit of a bummer.  I ended up dropping the alternator and removing 2 bolts from the AC compressor but not removign the AC.  Using the 2 bolt method I removed all the head studs.

74uVtBC.jpg

The gasket is clearly blown between 2-3, but not sure exactly why

zQkz82C.jpg

it's a copper gasket that I had v lightly sprayed with hi temp aluminium paint on each side.  It seems good and came off nice and clean, just the massive chunk missing from the middle.

#157 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

The head seems ok so I cleaned it up, there is some damage on Cyl 2 which was cleaned up with oil and a teeny rub with a stone, it's ok.  Chambers are filled with white spirit and checked for leaks - again seems pretty good (how long would a good seal keep the white spirit)  I had to leave for work after 40 minutes but still nothing had leaked through, and I blew compressed air in each inlet and exhaust and no bubbles came up - so again good.

KLWMaj2.jpg

kqybmS5.jpg

PQ75fu7.jpg

#158 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:57 AM

I don't think I need to lap in the valves right now (and as it's not my car shop I want to get out of his way asap so as not to abuse his kindness).  I scraped down the head and have gone over with compressed air, will go over it one more time tomorrow.  I lightly scraped down the block and compressed air, will give one more round again tomorrow.

uAN4c8d.jpg

nQeUpVQ.jpg

the scratching is just where I started to scrape a bit with a bluntish screwdriver to get a better look at the damage

Here's what the sum up is.  There is still some cross hatching visible in Cyl 1 but not in 2 3 and 4 (unfortunately).  (I should really have got the block rebored when I took it out first time, but...)

my car man said the block is tired, but if you just want a get about car you should be ok.  The plan is to get a new Payen gasket on tomorrow, do the heat cycle and check.

What my options are from here and this is where I really appreciate your input (to be honest this made me feel quite out of my comfort zone, needing to fix the car and wanting to use it, but being more comfortable with the engine out and doing ALL the measurements in full before going any further)

get it all back together and expect to have to put in a bit of oil now and then, maybe get 2 more years out of it in this state ?

when the motor comes out what is better

- get a newish standard block and put in the original pistons with new rings

or

- get the block bored to the next size and add new pistons and rings (what worries me here is the center gap where almost all gaskets go, is getting even thinner, which just doesn't seem to make sense)

that's it for now, thanks so much for reading and commenting - limping along for the time being.  Perhaps soon it's really time for new crank bearings and good and proper overhaul.  I think I erred on the side of optimism with my first rebuild.  Cheers.

#159 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:32 AM

Wow I am tired now - I found pulling the head quite tiring!  I think it would be really good to be 2 people so that one person can keep track of the order you are doing things.  I think with the Spi AC mini it might have been easier if I had unbolted the AC unit completely, as it was I took out the top 2 bolts and loosened the lower 2, just enough to wiggle the  head back in.

I really didn't want to remove the thermostat housing as it is a favourite place to leak, and when it goes it gushes.  But again becaue of the AC hose I did in the end.  Then putting the head on was much easier.

I don't know if it's good practice but what I did was I put in the front 3 short studs and not the one near the thermostat or the long one (which now has my coil mounted to it).  I then dropped the gasket on, then the head and then finally added all the other studs.  I have always put a dab of grease on the stud threads and they come out real nice.

I noticed that a couple of the studs had dirty threads at the top, which I cleaned up some, I imagine it would have a negative effect on the torquing down. 

I always get really nervous when torquing down - I don't know if others are the same ?

When I catch my breath I'll post a picture - the Payen gasket had a small area where there was a tiny gap in the metal, so I don't know if it's supposed to be like that or a manufacturing error - it's right in middle of Cyl 2-3, the weakest point on the gasket !!

Started up first time and seems to run smoothly.  Now have to flush the rad and refill and bin the oil and refill.

I then need to put in my adjustable steering rods add a twitch of neg camber and go to the tyre shop for 2 front tyres.  Doesn't seem to stop at the moment.  Got  a problem with the heater but at least the car is running and now in my parking lot :)

#160 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

Sorry for the lack of photos.  I know you people like them.  Flushed the rad several times and found that the 'o' ring had gone on the rad plug ( I have a nice ally rad with a very convenient plug for flushing, beats pulling that back bottom rad pipe !!!!) but the 'o' ring was the worst quality.  ID20 OD27 found some at my local home center in the plumbing department (what a saver)

thansk a million to the guy that posted the 'how to' to fix a duff heater.  I removed the passenger seat and it was pretty easy from then on.  Flushed clean water through the matrix several times both ways, lots of gunky came out and guess what, now the heater blows genuine hot air. 

I also checked and readjusted the moving plate in the heater box that sends air to the car or to the windscreen vents so that it shuts at the right place each time.  More air to the windscreen now - almost set for the snow, just need some snow tires now!!

#161 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

Oh my I have been having  alot of things to fix recently.  Wouldn't mind actually driving the car one of the days.  And the missus wouldn't mind actually being able to go shopping

next up - the car started making funky noises and I finally realised the toe plate around the sub frame was all cracked up, you could feel the whole thing moving

here are the pics of the repair

z6p8u2z.jpg

Hfrye4T.jpg

NgN0LSs.jpg

mXJ5jSN.jpg

#162 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

0lgGGGN.jpg

paNW81x.jpg

WzfBKzP.jpg

3mm plate (maybe 2 or 2.5 would have been fine, 3 is  a bit thick imo)

undercoat, chassis black and later I will coat it all in urethane caulk

no noise and no weird steering now, oof - what next ??

#163 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:17 AM

Happy New Year to all you great mini people :)

Willy has got a new center console, dashboard, blue leds, adjustable steering, dizzy and carbon leads, 7inch navi - bombing along again, happy times !

oEPf8i7.jpg

CikGbMz.jpg

MF9CGui.jpg

Edited by ryomini, 10 January 2019 - 03:21 AM.

#164 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:22 AM

qce0zG7.jpg

Imr4S07.jpg

LNQRUwx.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users