170 replies to this topic

#166 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 01:06 AM

Soldiering on with Willy but sometimes hanker after the conveniences of a modern vehicule.  Finally got my A/C sorted - summer lifesaver. 

- one hose was poor and an 'o' ring needed replacing

- the compressor was tired and was replaced

- finally the relay wouldn't cut in ( voltmeter reading was 13.? at the alternator, 12.? at the starter motor but only 11.3 at the relay) but if you jumped the fan relay the fan would would come on and same for the compressor

- cleaned up the fittings around the fuse box (passenger side under bonnet) and all is good now

thinking of swapping in an upgraded alternator to pump more juice into the system.  Once that is sorted next up will be putting in new valve guides and seals - hopefully

#167 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:02 AM

Please keep it up... this is a great build and fun to follow. 

Have you always lived in Japan? Are you excited for the Olympics? 

My wife and I love Japan. We did a little self tour a few years ago for 3 weeks and we have wanted to go back every day since. We have a deal to go back after the Olympics. 

#168 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:41 AM

Thanks so much for the interest

yep I love me some Japan

Olympics - yes totally stoked to watch the skateboarding (not easy doing some of the stuff at my age but so much fun lol)

right now looking at the 70 amp upgrade alternator (there is a Japanese company does one too, with an internal fan)

- I just need to check right now about fitting

- on the minispares one you have to swap out your pulley which is a bind

- and probably on the Japanese spec one I will have to fab up a plug, I am going to email the company tonight to check on it,

#169 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:58 PM

Hey mini people

i've thrown the towl in !  :(

I did a rather simple rebuild and skipped a lot of work on the motor thinking that I could pull it out a second time and get it done having found all the other faults of the car

the motor runs good but it's tired, it now NEEDS a full rebuild (and I could do with an uprated alternator too)

hone and rings

crank bearings

cam bearings

valve guides

the worst quote for this work I have had so far is ......... 60 0000 yen (about 4 500 gbp !!!!!)

and the best was 30 0000 yen ( 2 300 gbp) just for an engine swap, the guy didn't even want to do what I wanted

I could crate up my engine and send it to Tokyo but the shipping costs are going to be silly

so it's all over for me

it turned out to be more expensive and challenging than I had thought and I could have got there if I had done my homework (finding good machine shops and so on) long before I started - I'm feeling very down at the moment but got to move on - glad I got this far anyways - and thanks again for all YOUR inspiration.

#170 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Sad day.

Don't despair, jack it up, drain petrol, remove battery, spray electrics, carb etc with wd40 and keep it dry.

Make plans, save up and start again in a couple of years.

#171 riktanius

riktanius

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

Why not do a Honda/Nissan swap? Should be easier to get parts there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users