170 replies to this topic

#16 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:37 AM

Day off today so got the shell tidied up - yikes really getting hit by the 'Oh what on earth have I gone and done now'.  Mini parts take up a lot of space as I have found out!  I don't really know what to do next and am very worried about how to tackle the derusting, protecting and painting, but I suppose a little at a time.

In two weeks it'll be back to the motor if I'm not too tied up.  A few more pix for now.  I fabbed up a little trolley - in hindsight wider, beefier and higher would have been better and I just tied some hi density insulating foam (leftovers) onto the corners.  As I put the mini on there myself I was really hard not to move the foam but got there in the end using 4 old tires to prop it up as I wiggled it all about.

THANKS to all the restore posters and their amazing ideas, and a big thanks to the person who gave me advice about dropping the rear sub frame - it's a long haul with all the pipes but fairly straightforward I suppose.

CIMG2692_zpsbnqnv1yk.jpg

CIMG2694_zpsn9m1c62f.jpg

CIMG2698_zps8qffsv3t.jpg

CIMG2699_zpswja9suyj.jpg

CIMG2702_zpsh2efjccv.jpg

#17 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Crank looks very very good as do bearings, pistons etc.  I think if the pistons are really in good shape I may well hesitate to bore out to 1293.  Haven't had time to measure up anything yet, but got an electrolysis tank set up for the sub frames and will be cleaning out the short motor as soon as I can.  Still haven't found anywhere locally that can provide me with paint or advice about what paint is available

Looks like someone's been in here before,, so maybe there was a leak ???

CIMG2735_zpswxcpnwlq.jpg

CIMG2753_zpsd47djt0g.jpg

CIMG2754_zpsat3k5jrs.jpg

#18 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

Granpa B just about to hit the deck (over Tripoli if my memory of listening to my Grandma doesn't fail me)

anyoo all the cam followers were pitted to some degree or other except one - kind of strange but I wouldn't be able to tell you what that tells us about the engine, and I got my stinky tank set up (just hope it makes derusting this guy a bit easier) The sub frame is not the easiest thing to lug about

Scan%202015-11-23%200002_zpsfjxpxgxy.jpg

CIMG2772_zpsxaic7yka.jpg

CIMG2768_zpsxdbxrcmz.jpg

CIMG2770_zpsjkzdfkn9.jpg

#19 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

Went the Kurust route with the rear sub frame.  The stinky tank takes as much paint off as it does rust.  Those sub frames are not really very user friendly for scrubbing down, but it's coming along bit by bit.  Hoping for some sun so I can spray a primer coat.  Here's some pix of the motor which is now stripped, short block is cleaned.  I'm thinking of tapping 2 of the gallery plugs but need to work out what size metric tap to use and what grub screws are available here.

Now cleaning up the pistons in between other things and hoping to get the hull completely stripped so I can start cleaning the bottom.  Got some info on paint.  Everyone here uses 2K acrylic urethane, so that's what I'll be using too.

CIMG2726_zpsmtc4w0sy.jpg

CIMG2727_zpsxnhyhaj0.jpg

CIMG2731_zpsm1dtrunh.jpg

#20 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

What a great story and mini.... Good luck with the resto and il be watching :0)

Gotta love japenese mini's and styling

Cheers James

#21 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

Broke the stinky tank - water everywhere, but back up again now

This hole is not round, looks like it was cast this way - IS THIS A PROBLEM that I need to address ????????

CIMG2774_zps7lbw4gis.jpg

CIMG2773_zpsdfxy8vvl.jpg

sub frames - electrolysis, clean, degrease, primer, colour (rattle can for now) compressed air a very big help in drying after degreasing.  Almost too cold to paint now.

CIMG2791_zpsro1aplwk.jpg

CIMG2792_zpsaxllsogt.jpg

Thanks for the comments and encouragements, very very much appreciated, onto derusting the shell...

#22 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Broke the stinky tank - water everywhere, but back up again now

This hole is not round, looks like it was cast this way - IS THIS A PROBLEM that I need to address ????????

CIMG2774_zps7lbw4gis.jpg

Its the opening for the mechanical fuel pump lever which lays over the cam lobe to operate the pump. No need to do anything with it.

#23 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

@Stu thanks a lot for that info

welded up (or frankenwelded up) the rusty boot.  Using a small wire feed (core flux) welder.  If I place an aluminium block behind thin sheet I can tack weld it up, or with a bit of practice even fill holes.  Me missus held the block for about 20 minutes worth and then got fed up and told me to get on with it by myself, some blocks of wood helped me get most of the holes filled up, sometimes I used super strong magnets as well, different sized patches and then primer, filler and primer.

Welded up the front wing mirror holes - that went really well - I used an old motorcyle foot peg assembly as a heat sink, worked a treat

CIMG2817_zpsciv6xcjd.jpg

CIMG2815_zpsu3rsr6fx.jpg

CIMG2814_zps0tbuo1gf.jpg

CIMG2816_zpsdtk4kbgk.jpg

CIMG2818_zps7jc6fiqc.jpg

CIMG2810_zpsxjoroflb.jpg

CIMG2807_zpszspjctfc.jpg

CIMG2806_zpseaolzleh.jpg

#24 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:01 PM

and some

CIMG2802_zpsflugsfbl.jpg

CIMG2801_zpsk25puqh7.jpg

#25 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:35 PM

Are you using a gasless welder mate, some of those repairs don't look best stuck down to be honest and there's alot of splatter? Don't take it the wrong way but I do think you need to get a hang of welding before you attack the mini too much :)

#26 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

Not sure how much welding is needed on your project but Lawrence makes a good point. A decent gas mig with Argon / Co2 would give a much better weld without the volcano effect. If you only have a few patches with nothing structurally critical I guess your existing mig would be ok though. I'd think about seam welding your patch repairs though.

I'm following your project now as it looks like a good interesting thread :)

#27 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for the advice, (and words of encouragement)

I am the first one that wishes it was more beautiful believe me, but there is good penetration

I'm using a small wire feed flux core welder (wire speed adjustable but that is all), I am actually getting better lol, the patches were tacked up over and over again to make it strong, on both sides, it's no gas so there is always going to be lots of splash,

I think if I try to seam weld it, it would just blow through all the time - I used to use a stick welder which I found easier, but slowly getting used to what the wire feed can do - I bashed the life out of those patches with a hammer and they didn't budge

and yes of course these are the biggest welding repairs - I don't want to endanger anyone - I should be able to keep the missus shopping in the boot now and not on the floor lol

day off today

degrease derust degrease derust degrease derust degrease derust degrease derust degrease derust degrease derust degrease etc.

#28 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

dissolve carpet glue wipe off drink tea dissolve carpet glue wipe off drink tea dissolve carpet glue wipe off drink tea dissolve carpet glue wipe off drink tea dissolve carpet glue wipe off drink tea

Day off tu morra so will try to finish sanding the putty / filler and start and finish the seam sealing - ooooff, so much fun ;)

#29 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

Still more sanding to do, but the putty I have been using is very easy to apply and sand so quite happy with the results

It's a bit cold for seam sealing I want the product to dry and set properly so will wait for some warmer weather.  We almost had snow but looks like it will hold off

bagged a couple of pheasants and a brace of hares ;)

a little before and after - this is the licence plate illumination unit, just needs a second hot coat to finish it off, a bit ott but lol

and I picked up an Iwata baby gun 1.2mm and will be practicing shooting water during the hols hahaha - the more I do the more there seems to be left and I have't even got near the mota' yet

CIMG2829_zpsky5nuw8v.jpg

CIMG2831_zps3zphcly8.jpg

CIMG2845_zpshobr89yz.jpg

#30 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:47 AM

a very 'appy New Year to all tmf ers

and I hope that you enjoyed vacation, family time and lots and lots of Christmas pud with custard

RUST and RUST and RUST everywhere, boot, bonnet, doors, sometimes not much but it still has to be stripped off treated, coated and then filled repainted etc.

sometimes I feel like I am making progress other times it's that feeling of washing dishes after Christmas dinner, however much you do there still seems to be more left in the pile

the window runner guide rails are rotten, the inner door skin looks like it can be welded and filled but I don't think I will be able to save the window rails - has anyone tried making / repairing these

CIMG2856_zpsjr6pisqy.jpg

CIMG2850_zpseb4ktgvh.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users