#61 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:12 PM

This mini goes against everything I would normally like on a Mini, but for some strange reason I love it! and can't wait to see it finished - keep the pictures coming.

#62 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

@slide haha thanks so much, I'm working hard to make it all come together piece by piece, not sure who would want it after me though

PO did some poor electrical repairs on the winkers which I have spent some time to tidy up, and repaired the mount holes in one of the indicator plastics, unfortunately the other indicator lens has taken a walk (hope it will turn up soon)

#63 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

The three of us are tired from all this rumaging around in boxes looking for missing parts, which are all dirty and rusty,

CIMG2983_zpsl77yf9t0.jpg

some small progress

CIMG2975_zpsyr0emywm.jpg

CIMG2976_zpsz70alu5d.jpg

CIMG2977_zpsc6g11lk0.jpg

I got my bonnet badge and boot badge done but not sure that people are going to like it

CIMG2978_zpsn4gsigfb.jpg

CIMG2979_zpsogi7d4go.jpg

CIMG2980_zpsv9bynoc0.jpg

and this little guy helps me out alot

CIMG2984_zpss8y6a3ig.jpg

and no more fresh air - guess I'll just have to open the window

CIMG2981_zpsev89yreg.jpg

CIMG2987_zpstfmkr1zp.jpg

#64 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:16 PM

Anyone for golf

CIMG2988_zpsllfn2ylq.jpg

CIMG2989_zps1dflrsor.jpg

looking forward to your comments, tips, tricks and suggestions

#65 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

Those little guys are so cute :) 

#66 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

He he the little guys help me out a lot, but take up most of my budget too !

Ah I am getting really tired now and rather fed up with RUST.  I started looking at the petrol tank which looks saveable but the top half inside is a bit gritty on the sides so I will try to rub it down and shift the rust flakes, as the tank was half full the bottom half is still in remarkable condition

and it's raining, no motivation right now

still a small update

the bonnet badge done ;) lol

CIMG2986_zps7a3a0dwp.jpg

the boot

CIMG2992_zpsthdby4fl.jpg

CIMG2994_zpsm6q2hg0f.jpg

more dirty and broken parts

CIMG2995_zpsijv1fnca.jpg

CIMG2996_zpszugp7stu.jpg

CIMG2997_zpsxk7j5i7w.jpg

CIMG2998_zpscsqjsodw.jpg

the fuse box set up is strange where two wires have special clips so that they can feed into other wires, maybe because of the AC unit, and got the doors done for now - did I enjoy puting the window back in?  No I did not:(

I think I need a mars bar or something now

CIMG3000_zpsvtkgpiwk.jpg

CIMG3001_zpspufwclxc.jpg

CIMG3002_zpsw3omjlkw.jpg

#67 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

I am creeping along still, as the cost is also creeping up.  Tried to be be too cheap and picked up a used front windscreen seal.  The other half helped me out here, it took us about 15mins but the problem is there is a gaping hole at the bottom between the two ends - I guess I'll just have to fill it with seam sealer and see how much it leaks
definitely was not a bargain in the end that is for sure

then I got the back plates on and was just checking things over and one of the pads gave up it's lining, about half of it just cracked and came off, so I had to order a complete set and now need to replace them all

still got some nice goodridge lines used and this time they were in ace condition, and finally got myself a nice pair of mirrors also in good nick

CIMG3003_zpsv7hfrbii.jpg

CIMG3004_zpsosxtmwcy.jpg

CIMG3005_zpshpq5weji.jpg

CIMG3007_zpsq4pgt4qw.jpg

CIMG3008_zps0ue8mt9a.jpg

CIMG3009_zpsoaopg559.jpg

the handbrake line runs very close to the brake pipe union, also you have to do some homework to find out the orientation of the quadrants

CIMG3010_zpstwgz32gk.jpg

hopefully will get the front sub on this week - then it will be the rest of the glass.  Once the wheels are on I shall be taking a long brake before finally taking a look at this engine

#68 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

Nice to see the progress on your build :) The heater unit looks a little different from the ones we got over here. Is it a later version of the heater? 

#69 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

Vinay hey

as far as I know this vehicule is a standard 1993 model, I ended up stripping the heater and replacing the foam inside with some door draught sealer, like carpet on one sided sticky tape (if that makes sense), putting the panel on the front was fiddly diddly, and I have no idea what works and what doesn't - still have the AC unit to tidy up, and a whole lot of parts to derust, clean up and spray - there's a time where it never seems to end,

glad you are enjoying following

#70 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

Oooh I forgot that JDM minis came as standard with an A/C unit. I'd love an A/C in a mini. 

#71 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:36 PM

Yep the AC unit takes up a ton of space inside and under the bonnet and makes the engine bay super cramped but in the heat of summer it's a life saver - even a skinny git like me eventually turns it on

it's a great comfort but I do still love those old minis with the really pure simple engine bays.  Vinay sorry I can't remember are you running a Spi too ?

#72 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

No... we only got carburettor minis in South Africa. Mine is a standard SA spec 1275 cc mini with a single HS4 carb. 

We would have benefitted from A/C though. It can get hot here too. 

#73 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:00 AM

Vinay

I got pretty tired of fixing up racks of carbs on inline four bikes so the Spi was a nice change for me

it gets pretty hot here in summer which I don't mind, it's the humidity that kills me - that and traffic jams are a real test of patience

doodling along, got the new brake pads in, fixed up the ends of the washer pipe to the spray nozzles, waiting on some spacers for my lower arms - looking foward to getting the front wheels on

missing all 4 hub caps from my revolution wheels - looks like I may just have to stuff a tennis ball in there !

got my wing mirrors from an auction site and have painted them up how I want

budget for small odds and ends is creeping up, but me missus has chipped in to help me to finish up part 2 of this project, like Star Wars it's going back, as part 1 was the original idea - the motor

CIMG3011_zpsuuprhp5g.jpg

CIMG3012_zpsue7wyyfi.jpg

CIMG3013_zps9u8rtgzd.jpg

CIMG3014_zpsn5bozpec.jpg

CIMG3015_zpsaqsswjle.jpg

CIMG3016_zpsgjziesdx.jpg

just need a gloss coat and they are done

#74 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

Love the look of those mirrors. Definitely fits the theme of your car perfectly. 

What's your name dude? Feels weird replying to a thread and not knowing your name.

#75 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

Vinay glad you like the mirrors,

I'm hoping that it'll all fit together, it's on a bit of a tight budget right now, but I may be able

to improve as time goes on

Well when my wife doesn't call me a nitwit, she calls me a halfwit :)

got some work done on the calipers, put some copper slip in the back of the pistons to keep the rust away.  Got the front sub on too and forgot the tear drop parts, but managed to wiggle them in place.  Had to tidy up some threads on the ball joints and still waiting on parts before those front hubs go on.  Doing some more cleaning, got the brake cylinder thingy to do.  I don't really want to paint it, but I do need to get the rust off

The pistons were a tad scruffy on parts of the surface and may eventually eat into the joints but should be good for the first year or so

CIMG3019_zpszcr5hbpn.jpg

CIMG3018_zpsi0nqjlt9.jpg

CIMG3017_zpsp5mxx8nl.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users