117 replies to this topic

#31 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:22 AM

Professional tinkerer / Historic race mechanic. 

Personally I love the motorsport world, I get the social side of things along with hands on experience of building cars, fabrication, race setup. But aim for something you want to do and you should find a little niche or area you enjoy. Doing lots of voluntary work is a good way to find out what you do and don't like as you found! good luck! 

I love the social side of motorsports. I've done a lot of work with the HSCC and Masters championships :)

Will likely have crossed paths a few times in that case, I have been running a few jags in the HSCC and HRDC championships this year. Who are you working for? 

I've helped out with Wren Sport for a few seasons in Masters historic sports cars and gentleman drivers, not this year though, and with Linstone Classics in the hscc with f3 screamers amongst other things.

Ahh cool, will keep my eyes open next season, I am with CKL Developments myself. 

#32 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:08 PM

Got away from garage management early last year to go back to being a tech at a Subaru main dealer, found myself as foreman again this year, guess I couldn't help myself!
Still way less hours than management and better pay too oddly!

#33 Albannach

Albannach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

Happily retired after 35 years trucking all over Europe delivering Cars, Trucks and Buses. Would NOT recommend Truck Driving to any young guy starting out now. You are made to feel like a Leper by Cops, VOSA, and any Community that you find yourself having to stop in overnight.

#34 Corey96Williams

Corey96Williams

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:01 PM

Happily retired after 35 years trucking all over Europe delivering Cars, Trucks and Buses. Would NOT recommend Truck Driving to any young guy starting out now. You are made to feel like a Leper by Cops, VOSA, and any Community that you find yourself having to stop in overnight.

I never fancied driving a lorry. Must be stressful in any built up area. I wouldn't like to be stuck in my cab all day on motorways either. 

#35 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

Retired - best job I ever had.

When I worked I had an engineering design and technical support business that I sold to an American company. Then I had a CAD/CAM consultancy and high-end engineering recruitment business.

Now I 'play' with classic cars, fly gliders/sailplanes and am a director of the gliding club. Don't know how I ever found time to go to work.

#36 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:42 PM

Retired - best job I ever had.

When I worked I had an engineering design and technical support business that I sold to an American company. Then I had a CAD/CAM consultancy and high-end engineering recruitment business.

Now I 'play' with classic cars, fly gliders/sailplanes and am a director of the gliding club. Don't know how I ever found time to go to work.

Living the dream  :shades:

#37 benjamini1997

benjamini1997

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local Club: Franklins Speed Club

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

Everyone here has a very hands on job, then there's me the student who works at next selling clothing to ladies, am currently studying physiotherapy to go to uni and go into sports therapy!

#38 Corey96Williams

Corey96Williams

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:53 PM

Any Carpenters out there?

#39 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:01 PM

Licenced certifying Engineer for a popular Airline. My signature is the one that says the plane is fit to fly so not much responsibility, just a bucket load. O_O  O_O

#40 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:14 PM

I work as a engineering apprentice for Thames Water. Way better than school, and a really decent job to be honest! It's work I enjoy, and in spare time I have access to all the tools I can imagine; lathe, mill, grit blaster, anything, etc

Corey, if your looking for work, I'd urge you to have a look at apprenticeships. There's plenty out there, and you get paid to learn!

Edited by Will16, 18 November 2015 - 10:17 PM.

#41 mattmiglia

mattmiglia

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

Office stuff

Edited by mattmiglia, 28 November 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#42 mini_mad69

mini_mad69

Let future you worry about it

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts
  • Local Club: urrrr no

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:30 AM

Recently left my high pressure/stress management job to work in a power station. Best thing I have ever, ever done!

#43 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:21 AM

Licenced certifying Engineer for a popular Airline. My signature is the one that says the plane is fit to fly so not much responsibility, just a bucket load. O_O  O_O

I always found a roll of speedtape to be very handy when on a flightline!

#44 Jase71

Jase71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:29 AM

Firefighter, worked my way up to Station Manager so I'm one of the blokes with the white hats you see on TV.

#45 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:54 AM

I suck ****! I own a vacuum tanker business and empty septic tanks. 😆

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users