#106 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:04 PM

Race mechanic, working in FIA Lotus Cup Europe and MINI Challenge until I graduate from my BSc Competition Car Technology degree this year

Doing my dream there!  Wish there were motorsport careers offered in Scotland so i could have done that at Uni instead of my graphic design degree...  :tumble:

#107 quagmire

quagmire

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Served My time as a joiner many moons ago and worked in the building trade as both an employee and self employed for twenty odd years before having a complete change of direction and moving to a company that manufactured mining equipment. And from there to Leyland Trucks (the last truck manufacturer in the UK!). Good job lot's of benefits 10 weeks holiday a year etc. But as somebody else said on this thread I would recommend to any young person to try and get a trade behind them that way you always have something to fall back on if everything goes t#ts up

#108 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

Worked for Avonbar for 10 years, left to start up OAP Race Engines. Did that for 15 years, then was tempted into employment by a race team. Currently senior engine builder/dyno operator for historic race engine company.
Build/race Vespas in my spare time.

All change (sort of). Company I was working for, due to diabolical management , is in financial difficulties so I was made redundant 3 months ago. Had a couple of months off, no jobs about that get my juices flowing so looks like I will revive Osborne Automotive Preparation (OAP).
Mini Festival coming up next weekend and have got first Mini 7 engine that I have built in 12 years out there. Bit of success could kick start the business.
Unfortunately sold all my equipment in 2009 so starting at the bottom again.

Edited by OzOAP, 09 July 2016 - 10:16 PM.

#109 86mayfair

86mayfair

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Race mechanic, working in FIA Lotus Cup Europe and MINI Challenge until I graduate from my BSc Competition Car Technology degree this year

Doing my dream there!  Wish there were motorsport careers offered in Scotland so i could have done that at Uni instead of my graphic design degree...  :tumble:

It would probably be rubbing it in to say that I've just got back from a hot and sunny weekend at Spa wouldn't it ;D To be honest I sometimes still can't believe what I've been able to see and do. There's really not a great deal of it where I live either, you normally have to start as a weekend warrior then move to wherever the jobs are - ie the midlands, France or Germany haha

#110 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:33 PM

It would probably be rubbing it in to say that I've just got back from a hot and sunny weekend at Spa wouldn't it ;D To be honest I sometimes still can't believe what I've been able to see and do. There's really not a great deal of it where I live either, you normally have to start as a weekend warrior then move to wherever the jobs are - ie the midlands, France or Germany haha

Aberdeen surprisingly enough hasn't got much of a motorsport industry haha!  Most are rich enough that they just go to prodrive/M-Sport and get the latest WRC spec car built and prepared for them :(

#111 Harrison541

Harrison541

A bowl of prawns, avocado and cress?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:31 PM

Chef! Wouldn't recommend it but I get plenty of hours and have managed to save a bit up as I'm hoping to get into plumbing and gas fitting self employed. It sounded like a fun job until I was given 73 hours in 7 days!

I'm sorry, but the junior doctors can :!: right off with their winging, try doing our job!

#112 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

I support 7 permanent residents in a home for people with mental health and disabilities. 

I LOVE it! 

#113 lordyoung1980

lordyoung1980

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Maintenance Engineer for a sausage factory. The monies crap,but the works hard.

#114 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

I support 7 permanent residents in a home for people with mental health and disabilities. 

I LOVE it! 

My partner works looking after people with autism and other mental health issues. She loves it too. Care work is not for everyone, it takes a certain skill set.

#115 OzOAP

OzOAP

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:33 PM

Worked for Avonbar for 10 years, left to start up OAP Race Engines. Did that for 15 years, then was tempted into employment by a race team. Currently senior engine builder/dyno operator for historic race engine company.
Build/race Vespas in my spare time.

All change (sort of). Company I was working for, due to diabolical management , is in financial difficulties so I was made redundant 3 months ago. Had a couple of months off, no jobs about that get my juices flowing so looks like I will revive Osborne Automotive Preparation (OAP).
Mini Festival coming up next weekend and have got first Mini 7 engine that I have built in 12 years out there. Bit of success could kick start the business.
Unfortunately sold all my equipment in 2009 so starting at the bottom again.

Business now been up and running for 2 months. Been buying all equipment needed again.

All going well.

No website at the minute but Facebook page keeping people updated. 

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ozoap/ Please view and share.

Edited by OzOAP, 28 October 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#116 toplessmini

toplessmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: none on the island....

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

I'm an Offshore Blade Tech for Siemens Wind power.

https://www.facebook...=1&l=c9fc43717d

#117 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

College professor, I teach automotive courses like how to use shop equipment, steering and suspension, brakes, engine performance etc. About to retire after the spring semester.

#118 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

Welder fabricator by trade and do mobile welding to cars /classics, you would think I had enough of welding having a mini and restoring several of my own cars, but its get under your skin and its like an addiction at times. and when its quiet with work I always end up buying another rusting hulk !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users