TheFunkyGibbon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Non yet...

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

Afternoon all...

My alloys looked like this when they were new...

http://www.minispeed...p;id=starmag-wd

However I've bought them second hand and they've not been polished for a long while..

What is my best bet for:

a)Cleaning them
b)Polishing them up to their original shine
c)Retouching the black paint where it has begun to chip off??

Or would I be better off getting a pro to do them? If so who in the North West and how much?

The wheels have never been curbed/scuffed so it would be a shame to get rid of them for a new set.

Cheers for your help all..

FG.

#2 walks

walks

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

id get them refurbed, you'll get a much better finish - places round by me charge about £30 - 40 per wheel for refurb but im in the midlands - wouldnt have thought its much different in the north.

#3 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 13 August 2006 - 04:27 PM

Tis your lucky day! I just finished doing my 7x13s today, so heres how I did it:
I stripped the paint and lacquer off the front side, because that was the worst. I got a large steel tray, a tin of nitromors, and went for it. Use an old brush and dont be stingy with the nitromors. The lacquer comes straight off, but the paint takes a little more effort. use an old knife or something to scrape the corners where its hard to get with a brush. Also, a scouring pad works well for this. Quite often, the alloy corrodes under the lacquer, making it impossible to get them shiny. When you have got them stripped, wash them well with water to get rid of all traces of nitromors and let them dry.
With some fairly fine sandpaper, start to clean up the bits you need to polish, until theres no grotty looking bits left. Use progressively finer paper until its all a light silver colour. Then use autosol to polish them right up. For the painting, hammerite should be fine, as it isnt really on show. For doing spokes on minilites, I used halfords car spray, and then clear lacquer on the paint. I left the alloy bare, so I can polish it properly. Heres the pics of what they looked like when I started, and at the end:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And yes, it is possible to get 4 7x13s on the back seat ;D
Posted Image

#4 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

Afternoon all...

My alloys looked like this when they were new...

http://www.minispeed...p;id=starmag-wd

However I've bought them second hand and they've not been polished for a long while..

What is my best bet for:

a)Cleaning them
b)Polishing them up to their original shine
c)Retouching the black paint where it has begun to chip off??

Or would I be better off getting a pro to do them? If so who in the North West and how much?

The wheels have never been curbed/scuffed so it would be a shame to get rid of them for a new set.

Cheers for your help all..

FG.

;)
NOOOOOOOOOOO

hi there i'd go for the pro to do them as there really nice wheels seems a shame to wreck them with a bit of paint

Tis your lucky day! I just finished doing my 7x13s today, so heres how I did it:
I stripped the paint and lacquer off the front side, because that was the worst. I got a large steel tray, a tin of nitromors, and went for it. Use an old brush and dont be stingy with the nitromors. The lacquer comes straight off, but the paint takes a little more effort. use an old knife or something to scrape the corners where its hard to get with a brush. Also, a scouring pad works well for this. Quite often, the alloy corrodes under the lacquer, making it impossible to get them shiny. When you have got them stripped, wash them well with water to get rid of all traces of nitromors and let them dry.
With some fairly fine sandpaper, start to clean up the bits you need to polish, until theres no grotty looking bits left. Use progressively finer paper until its all a light silver colour. Then use autosol to polish them right up. For the painting, hammerite should be fine, as it isnt really on show. For doing spokes on minilites, I used halfords car spray, and then clear lacquer on the paint. I left the alloy bare, so I can polish it properly. Heres the pics of what they looked like when I started, and at the end:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And yes, it is possible to get 4 7x13s on the back seat :genius:
Posted Image

;D nice job :ermm:

#5 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

I wouldnt pay for the refurb, not a cat in hells chance. Those cost me £10 for the paint, £6 for the lacquer, sandpaper I already had and a fiver for the nitromors. So for £21 and a bit of effort, its well worth it.

#6 TheFunkyGibbon

TheFunkyGibbon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Local Club: Non yet...

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

Nice job vanman, suppose it depends on how handy I turn out to be with a bit of sandpaper....

Out of interest, did you finish them with a protective wax or something....I want them to last for a while before they need doing again...

I'll have a scan around my area and chase up some prices, then depending on the old free time/cash flow balance I'll decide which way I go...

Cheers all.

FG.

#7 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

I lacquered the paint to protect it from stonechips, but left the alloy bare. I'm going to see how hard it is to keep them in good nick for a while. It only takes 2 minutes each with autosol to get them looking good though, so its not any real difficulty to keep them looking fresh. I may be saying something different come the winter salt though!

#8 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

ooo minivanman! cheers for that! lol! thinking bout doing something similar to mine n wondered how to go about it!!

#9 deanymini

deanymini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

think i'm gonna do this with my 13x7's but with white spokes to match my roof. thanks for the info!

#10 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

Could this be put in FAQs? Makes my head hurt remembering it all if anyone else wants the info.

#11 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

Good Job Vanman, My 13 x 7's look just like yours did. I think i'll do mine white.

How much does it cost to get the tyres off and then put back on?

#12 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

Good Job Vanman, My 13 x 7's look just like yours did. I think i'll do mine white.

How much does it cost to get the tyres off and then put back on?

i was told u can do it with them still on! put loadsa grease on the wheels, spray ur alloys them wipe off them grease! the grease will protect ur wheels from the spray paint

#13 Don't Panic

Don't Panic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:13 PM

hmm grease i'd never of thought of that... i figured for spraying you could masking tape them up but i was more worried about the nitromors... ive never used the stuff... would it damage the rubber?

#14 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

dont know!
altho i dont think so as the mechanic at the garage told me to use nitro morse and he knew i was going to be keeping the tyres on!
but im not overly sure, would wait for someone else to say for certain

but with the grease, he also said putting grease on any of the alloy that u dont want spraying would protect that aswell! like if u wanted to keep the rims the original colour? if that makes sense

Edited by minipixie, 14 August 2006 - 06:19 PM.

#15 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

ok then. nitromors dont damage the rubber - you wear rubber gloves to protect you from it! Instead of masking up, I made an aluminium "thing" to protect the rim (pic below), but this was easy as they are deep dish. masking tape would probably be best otherwise. Any overspray comes off with autosol anyway! Grease would work but I wouldnt like to have to get it off, and if you get it near where you're painting then its gonna bu66er the paint.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users