Back on the little Cooper today and it was time to carry on with the back end.
Had a slight hiccup in that the gas ran out for the welder so that set me back slightly while a new one was collected.
On a bright note, the panels arrived so they have been unwrapped and checked. All is well.
Anyway, I started by tackling the other side of the boot floor.
It doesn't look as bad as the other side did but it will still end up having the same repair.
The measurements in blue are to show me the position of the fuel tank strap bracket.
First, the subframe mount strengthener came off..
Then i drilled the spot welds to release the valance closing panel
And then after some chiseling and wiggling, it was off.
there was lots of rust between the skins of metal so it was a good job it needed to be done before it spread too much which of course would have probably ended up meaning a complete new boot floor as apposed to repairs.
I then marked up the cut line to remove the rusty section
And then cut it out
Then a new section was fabricated and mocked up.
And then tacked in place
before being fully welded and ground back.
Next up was to mark out the section that needed to be removed from the centre back of the boot floor. I was keen to keep as much of the original floor as possible so it was marked just outside of the rusty section
And that's the last of the rot removed from the floor ready for new steel to go in
I used the rusty remains to mark out roughly the section i was going to use from the repair panel
The reason i didn't use more of the repair panel is because it is an over panel which is designed to go over the top of the existing floor so it is too narrow in the boot well section.
This is all i will need and here it is trimmed and laid in place
Once the fit was made good, it was removed again and all of the black paint was removed and a few coats of zinc spray were applied to the bumper lip section
Before being offered back up and tacked in place.
Then the fuel tank strap bracket was clamped into position and welded back on. Before this, the seam welding of the repair sections under where the bracket sits were finished and linished back
And here is the tacked repair section.
Some new sections of bumper lip for the back panel have been made up and are ready to go on Monday morning. As well as that, we will be pouring zinc into the joins of the new sill units and baking it off in the oven so that we get maximum protection and longevity from the lovely new sills.
Thanks for reading