17 replies to this topic

#1 maximas

maximas

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

Need a bit of help please...just got in my car and the clutch just pushes right down and won't engage a gear..any help at all would be good
Thanks in advance

#2 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

Is there there resistance under your foot as you would normally feel? Is the slave cylinder moving the arm on the end of the clutch housing?

#3 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

Is there there resistance under your foot as you would normally feel? Is the slave cylinder moving the arm on the end of the clutch housing?

#4 maximas

maximas

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

Just checked the resovoir oil and it's empty....also no movement in the arm....

Edited by maximas, 28 November 2015 - 09:22 AM.

#5 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

Topping up an bleeding it might fix the problem for now but presumably you are loosing fluid somewhere if it was working before. Any sign of fluid anywhere - in particular around the slave cylinder under the dust seal?

#6 maximas

maximas

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

I now have a drip under the car.....nothing inside the car on the carpets

#7 maximas

maximas

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Any help greatly appreciated...

#8 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

Making assumptions here :

1. that the drip is hydraulic clutch fluid

2. that it is leaking from the clutch slave cylinder (not the master cylinder operated by the pedal)

then to do a temporary fix to keep you going, refill the clutch master cylinder, loosen the bleed screw on the slave(7/16ths AF spanner), 2nd operator to pump the clutch pedal whilst you hold your finger over the  (loosened)  blead screw whilst the air/fluid is pumped out. I hasten to add this is a messy (but quick) way to do this. A tube and fluid catch canister is a better method or a proper bleed kit the best.

To do a permanent fix either replace the internal seals in the slave cylinder of change the complete slave cylinder.

#9 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

Making assumptions here :

1. that the drip is hydraulic clutch fluid

2. that it is leaking from the clutch slave cylinder (not the master cylinder operated by the pedal)

then to do a temporary fix to keep you going, refill the clutch master cylinder, loosen the bleed screw on the slave(7/16ths AF spanner), 2nd operator to pump the clutch pedal whilst you hold your finger over the  (loosened)  blead screw whilst the air/fluid is pumped out. I hasten to add this is a messy (but quick) way to do this. A tube and fluid catch canister is a better method or a proper bleed kit the best.

To do a permanent fix either replace the internal seals in the slave cylinder of change the complete slave cylinder.

Really wouldn't recommend bleeding with a finger over the nipple, you will find air will leak back past your finger, brake fluid isnt very nice on your hands and its worse on any paintwork as it will strip off the paint. So bleed it properly with ideally a bleed bottle but if not a jar and tube just be careful to tighten the nipple when the pedal is down and only then let the pedal up when the nipple is tight so you prevent air re-entering the system, rinse and repeat until all the air is out and you have a decent pedal. 

But check under the dust seal on the slave cylinder and you will likely find brake fluid, indicating you are loosing it past the seals in the slave so a new one or new seals are required as a permanent fix, but bleeding should see you home at least for a few miles. 

#10 maximas

maximas

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Big thanks to you....I will defy replace the slave.....could you give me some pointers here please...never ever done one...is it a reasonably easy job..thanks again..

#11 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

Depends on your cars age, whether it is a verto or pre verto clutch setup. 

I am guessing at verto which has the slave cylinder ontop of the bell housing / wok. Three bolts will take the slave off its mounting plate and will pull off the rod going into the clutch casing, disconnect the hose to it, refitting is the reverse of removal then bleed it out till all the air is out of the system. Really easy job and shouldn't take long, bit fiddly on the bolts and make sure the bolts go back where they came from as if you use longer ones they can jam on the flywheel. 

#12 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Fairly simple job. I would replace hose also. remove the two bolts holding slave cylinder to bracket lift slave off undo hose at master cylinder. Replace slave and hose, refit and bleed clutch

#13 maximas

maximas

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:04 PM

Yep...it's a verto....going to give this a go...are there cheap ones and good ones or are they all the same...also do I use the 4 dot brake fluid....thanks again..

#14 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

Yep...it's a verto....going to give this a go...are there cheap ones and good ones or are they all the same...also do I use the 4 dot brake fluid....thanks again..

I used a non genuine one from minispares 2 years back and its still going strong and yes dot 4 is fine to use 

#15 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

I used a non genuine one from minispares 2 years back and its still going strong and yes dot 4 is fine to use 

Original, best quality is best choice. Buy cheap, buy twice. There's a lot of this in the forum just now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users