Photo
- - - - -

Rockers

Best Answer tiger99 , 13 December 2015 - 05:35 PM

Take the head off, check the internals, and fit a new gasket. Otherwise there is a very high risk of gasket failure, and the head itself could possibly warp and need to be skimmed if the 5 or more front studs are torqued up normally while the rear 4 are loose. It is not going to take much longer.

Personally, I would clean up the combustion chambers, grind the valves, and fit new springs and oil seals, if I was having the head off. Saves the cost of yet another gasket when you have to do it later.

All this is quite easy on an A series engine.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 madaboutcherry

madaboutcherry

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

I was adjusting the tappets yesterday and I noticed there was a lot wear in the rocker shaft. is it possible to change it without changing the head gasket? I know it's not a huge job, it's lack of time that's the problem.

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

The whole rocker assembly just bolts on and off.

#3 madaboutcherry

madaboutcherry

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

I know, you are undoing 4 of the head nuts

#4 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:20 PM

You can try it and you may be successful, you may not. If it were me I would be taking the head off and use it an an opportunity to inspect the internals.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

Just whip it all off and replace. Just remove the tension from the springs.

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:35 PM   Best Answer

Take the head off, check the internals, and fit a new gasket. Otherwise there is a very high risk of gasket failure, and the head itself could possibly warp and need to be skimmed if the 5 or more front studs are torqued up normally while the rear 4 are loose. It is not going to take much longer.

Personally, I would clean up the combustion chambers, grind the valves, and fit new springs and oil seals, if I was having the head off. Saves the cost of yet another gasket when you have to do it later.

All this is quite easy on an A series engine.

#7 madaboutcherry

madaboutcherry

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

you're right, it's just me being lazy.

#8 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:42 PM

Thread revival. In the past I have just undone the bolts,and whipped off the rocker assembly and had no problems. As I have got older I have got more paranoid. I need to change my rockers, but with all the supercharger gubbins it would be a real pain in the backside to change the head gasket. Was thinking of just draining the water out and relieve as much tension out the springs as poss?

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:52 PM

do you have a spare pare of posts? what i do is back the adjusters off to take the spring tension out of the system, remove rocker assy and then put a pair of posts back on and tighten the nuts so as to keep the head in place. then take my time sorting the new rockers with adjusters wound right back. fit torque down and adjust.

#10 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

do you have a spare pare of posts? what i do is back the adjusters off to take the spring tension out of the system, remove rocker assy and then put a pair of posts back on and tighten the nuts so as to keep the head in place. then take my time sorting the new rockers with adjusters wound right back. fit torque down and adjust.

I could just take the rocker assembly off my other engine that I'm building at the moment. Put the new rockers on that and do a quick swap. Do you bother to drain the coolant out?

#11 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

my mates mpi changed rockers he didn't even drain fluid and was fine. not sure about not draining water tho. I done mine once and was ok but I think it's risky

#12 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

In theory you should be able to tap the shaft out and fit a new one. But it might be impossible due to tight tolerances?
How did you notice the play in the shaft?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users