Time for a small update video:

#17 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

It's looking nice and tidy there bud :) keep up the great work and it's great to see something more fancy than the boring normal switches

#18 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

Great stuff.  Great to see people coming up with new ideas.

Couple of suggestions:

In your code, you should prevent the rear fog from working unless the lights are on.

The rear fog and the hazards should operate a tell-tale - your text might be sufficient for this if it were to stay on, but as it times out I would expect you would need something different.

#19 samg2007

samg2007

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

It's looking nice and tidy there bud :) keep up the great work and it's great to see something more fancy than the boring normal switches

Thanks Lawrence!

Great stuff.  Great to see people coming up with new ideas.

Couple of suggestions:

In your code, you should prevent the rear fog from working unless the lights are on.

The rear fog and the hazards should operate a tell-tale - your text might be sufficient for this if it were to stay on, but as it times out I would expect you would need something different.

Thanks Graeme, I'll make the changes in the code to prevent the rear fogs coming on without lights.

In terms to tell tail, I've been working on CANBUS injection and have the very early workings of a BINI speedo for my speed and tell tails.

Attached File  IMG_20160222_180124.jpg   52.28K   17 downloads

#20 jasonmallett

jasonmallett

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

Really interested in this as I'm rebuild my mini and being 22 love this sort of stuff. How do you go about it and where do you start? Looking awesome by the way

#21 samg2007

samg2007

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

Spent some more time working on this, finally have my bmw speedo and rev counter working by CANBUS injection.

Edited by samg2007, 26 April 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#22 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

Very impressive hacking the CAN BUS, I am currently working on an arduino powered data logger and dashboard for mine. Unsure if I will actually get it to read, display and write data quick enough but I am giving it a go none the less! 

#23 samg2007

samg2007

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:26 PM

Sounds cool. Love to see what your project looks like! What kind of sensors are you using?

#24 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:13 PM

Sounds cool. Love to see what your project looks like! What kind of sensors are you using?

Doesn't look like much yet! 

I designed a full data logging system for a formula student vehicle in my last year of uni which used a series of commercially available sensors from demon-tweeks and the like. But I am trying to keep costs down on my own system so I am yet to work out which sensors are going to work for me. 

I am planning to log: 
Water temp,
Oil temp, 
Oil pressure,
Rpm, 
Vehicle speed, 

I am only really doing this for fun rather than a serious system, I am building a 16v for the mini and will be using an ecu so from that I can get data later on so this is just to occupy me and hopefully learn something from.

Currently trying to set up a GUI but struggling with support for my screen, I recon an adafruit version is a better bet 

#25 samg2007

samg2007

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

Sounds like an interesting project. We'll probably have a lot of the same problems to overcome,more than happy to share code / libraries as I go along.

#26 Alex_B

Alex_B

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:32 PM

Sounds like an interesting project. We'll probably have a lot of the same problems to overcome,more than happy to share code / libraries as I go along.

Well thats all part of the open source world! As am I but I'm unlikely to be posting any updates other than a few on my instagram page but if I get it working fairly well then I might develop it far enough for it to be a project for others to make. Who knows, I am just seeing how far I get currently. Will keep an eye on your project anyway! 

#27 samg2007

samg2007

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

It's been a while since I updated, but this project is still in the back of my mind. Life tends to get in the way and slow things down.

Anyway, I found that the typical arduino relay boards come with relays that are rated to 10 - 20 amps, not enough for an in car solution. So i've set about designing my own relay board with fuse holders and 40 / 30 amp relays.

This is what I've designed:

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 14.01.53.png   417.75K   17 downloads

So it features:

* 4x 40amp relays

* 4 x 30 amp relays

* 8 automotive blade fuses

* An ATMEGA 328 (arduino chip)

* I2C IO expander

* Voltage regulators

So basically, it is a relay board with built in arduino. It's wired up to 12v live straight off the battery, Ignition and ground. When the board senses the ignition is off, the arduino goes in to low power mode and waits for any of the lower power functions to be accesses (hazards, lights / interior lights). This means that left connected the circuit will drain a regular car battery in just over 2 years in this low power mode.

Also includes the RTC (real time clock) chip.

I've added a programming header so functions can be changed, but in theory it allows me to do:

*One button - toggle between side lights and main beam

* Short press of the indicators give three flashes when changing lanes

* various speed wipers

* hazards without hazard module

Lots more to come. Hopefully the test boards will be here next week, I'll build up and post an update.

Sam

#28 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

Glad you've stuck at it. I'm sure there'd be a demand for an easily adaptable auto wiring solution. I see you can get solid state automotive relays, that will do pwm, but they're quite pricey.

No usb header for programming?

#29 samg2007

samg2007

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

I thought I'd get relays working first and then move on to PWM. I've included 4 I2C connectors that would allow expansion boards that are pwm.

#30 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

Another nice addition, if possible, would be an extra flick of the wipers after the screen washers have been used - to clear that annoying screen wash dribble :mrcool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users