26 replies to this topic

#1 bengreen55

bengreen55

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hi all I have wilwood big on front with wilwood pedal box with 0.75 cylinders pug 206 gti rears I have bled them all up but they are shocking the pedal feels OK when I press the pedal I can feel the brakes working but not good enough to use the car when I press the brakes the rears don't seem to do much at all I am not sure how the bias system works really but even if this was wrong the brakes surly would still work any info will be appreciated

#2 bengreen55

bengreen55

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Any info anyone I have been told the cylinders may be too big and the fact I have got braided hoses throughout may be an issue

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

What bias set up have you got?

Some limit the pressure and some stop the pressure once a level has been reached.

As to seeing how things feel you really need yo drive it and adjust it to see his it feels. Best yo start at one end of the adjustment and then go to the other so you know what the two end settings are. Then set to middle as adjust yo suit the feel you need.

Note best to do it not in traffic.

#4 bengreen55

bengreen55

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:43 AM

I have got the wilwood pedal box with bias bar running through pedal bar

#5 bengreen55

bengreen55

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

Hi all I have changed both the 0.75 cylinders for a .625 on front and a 0.7 for rear and the brakes have gone from hard and not working to spongy and working better but still not good enough to pass mot they won't lock up when I drive it I am pulling my hair out with it now any ideas anyone

#6 Chris allanson

Chris allanson

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Which brakes are not locking fronts or rears
Braided hoses will not cause any issues at all they are better than rubber hoses maintaining the pressure better
Check the bias mechanism where it goes through the pedal there needs to be play between the cylinder Clevis on each side so it can float
From memory it's a total free play of .25 thou of and inch
Also it's best to bleed the brakes left front and left rear at the same time then right front and right rear at same time
If you get someone to help pressing the brake in the car and a second person to open the bleed at rear you open the front both at same time
The reason is that you cannot get a full travel on the pedal if you just bleed one caliper at a time as the other cylinder builds pressure and restricts the travel
If you are stuck I will talk you through it on the phone
Chris

#7 bengreen55

bengreen55

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

Alright Chris none of the brakes are realy locking up I have taken it for a drive tonight and the brakes realy are bad as is the handling I have braided hoses throughout the whole system not just flexys front and rear. the brakes are very vague I haven't got a servo on it either could one be used with the will wilwood pedal box I need to do something or I am gonna run in to something

#8 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:05 PM

Have you secured the braided lines every couple of inches? if not the hoses will move around while operating the brakes and give a very vague feel. With regard to cylinder sizing, have you done the maths and working out what size cylinders you want by working out pedal ratio, and piston sizes and then spec it correctly or copied a known working setup? 

Are the brakes bled properly? will it pump up at all? 

#9 bengreen55

bengreen55

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:30 AM

Alright Alex I have done no maths on it I am purely guessing the lines are secured about every 4" throughout i was just hoping what zcars supply would work but the 0.75 cylinders had a hard pedal with no pressure at the calipers so I was advised to change the cylinders it has made them work better

#10 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

My brakes were working great before the accident. I'll have a look at the master cyl size for you. I had the zcars BBK at the front and std Peugeot/Ford calipers at the back.

Bear in mind that a kit car with no brake servo will never feel like a modern car when applying pressure to the pedal!!

#11 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

Alright Alex I have done no maths on it I am purely guessing the lines are secured about every 4" throughout i was just hoping what zcars supply would work but the 0.75 cylinders had a hard pedal with no pressure at the calipers so I was advised to change the cylinders it has made them work better

I was only asking as blindly guessing doesn't often work out, however if you have had a full kit from z-cars and using the all the same components then I would assume it is designed with the correct pressures at the wheels for a mini. Have you set up the bias bar correctly? Have a google as theres guides online, its a bit of a faff getting your head around it first time, but if you bias the bar towards the front master cyl will result in a higher pressure in the front circuit and thus the fronts will bite before the rears. 

#12 bengreen55

bengreen55

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

Andream that would be great if you could have a look for me I am tempted to put a remote servo on it or is there another alternative way the standard mini one won't work with the wilwood pedal box

#13 andream88

andream88

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:58 AM

dual wilwood 0.625 master cylinders on my car

cheers!

#14 bengreen55

bengreen55

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

Thanks appreciate that

#15 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:18 AM

dual wilwood 0.625 master cylinders on my car

cheers!

Interesting, I am running 2x 0.75's on my brakes and they work just fine...I do have Wilwood Powerlites front and rear, should that make any difference

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users