11 replies to this topic

#1 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

I've been having problems lately with my clutch. Sometimes I can't get it into gear at all as if something's blocking the gear lever, other times it's a bit difficult to get it in, and then other times it slots in perfectly. It affects all gears seemingly randomly and pumping the clutch does seem to help but not every time. The floor under the pedals is bone dry so I don't think the master cylinder is leaking and the slave cylinder seems to be bone dry too. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

#2 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

could be sticking on the splines, worn ball or pin on end of lever. adjustment wrong?

Edited by David128, 12 February 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#3 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

The clutch lever arm is famous for the ball end wearing, I would also take a look at it. :highfive: If It's never been replaced I would advise you to change it anyway.  :shades:

#4 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for the replies lads, had a look through my haynes and I can't seem to find any information about clutch lever arm replacement, am I better off just giving it to a mechanic to sort? I'd definitely like to give it a go if possible but if it's going to be beyond my ability then id rather just get a professional to sort it

Edited by bob540, 13 February 2016 - 01:37 AM.

#5 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

Hi its not a very difficult job. does the car move through the gears ok with engine stopped if so the first thing to check is the throw of the clutch arm.check throwout gap is correct. if thats ok the ball arm needs to be checked .. detach slave from wok and remove clevis pin which is probably the hardest part of the job inspect / replace clutch arm.. If the cluth arm is ok wok cover will need to be removed to check any other suspect parts. IMO well within the scope of most people

#6 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

Hi its not a very difficult job. does the car move through the gears ok with engine stopped if so the first thing to check is the throw of the clutch arm.check throwout gap is correct. if thats ok the ball arm needs to be checked .. detach slave from wok and remove clevis pin which is probably the hardest part of the job inspect / replace clutch arm.. If the cluth arm is ok wok cover will need to be removed to check any other suspect parts. IMO well within the scope of most people

Just checked there and the car does seem to move through the gears ok with the engine stopped so I'll check the throw of the clutch arm first and if that's ok I'll have a go of replacing the lever arm. Anyone know where the steps for these jobs are in the haynes? I had a quick look earlier but I didn't see it

#7 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:28 PM

Hi not specifically mentioned but drawings in manual 1969-1996 show exploded views.clutch chapter 6.7 view 10.13. its fairly straightforward IMO

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:31 PM

I did post a detailed clutch fault finder a while back. Do a search on this forum.
If it a pre-vertical clutch start by measuring the linear movement at the top of the arm. It must be a minimum of 0.5".
Also check the arm to setting bolt clearance which must be 0.020"
Then set the overthrow not and locknut.

#9 bob540

bob540

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

I did post a detailed clutch fault finder a while back. Do a search on this forum.
If it a pre-vertical clutch start by measuring the linear movement at the top of the arm. It must be a minimum of 0.5".

Took me ages to find your fault finding guide in the end but I did find it eventually. Great guide, I'm just going to start at the beginning and work through it, I'll surely find the culprit that way. Maybe you could see about getting it put into the faq section?

One more question, what's the easiest way to tell a verto from a pre-verto?

Edited by bob540, 15 February 2016 - 01:11 AM.

#10 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:30 AM

http://www.theminifo...?showtopic=5131

#11 Superdaveyk

Superdaveyk

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

Hi Bob540

Just a thought . . Where the selector rod connects to the transmission there is a round boss about an inch long. The gear selector rod goes into one end and the other mounts onto the transmission. It's held in by 2 roll pins that come awfully close to the exhaust mounting bracket / transmission casing. Just check they haven't come loose.

Thars my tuppence worth

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

Took me ages to find your fault finding guide in the end but I did find it eventually. Great guide, I'm just going to start at the beginning and work through it, I'll surely find the culprit that way. Maybe you could see about getting it put into the faq section?

One more question, what's the easiest way to tell a verto from a pre-verto?

The Verto has as short clutch arm and the cylinder is mounted on a  bracket at an angle to the horizontal. The pre-Verto has a long arm and the cylinder is mounted on the transfer gear case horizontally with two 3/8" UNC bolts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users