16 replies to this topic

#1 crn1969

crn1969

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:11 PM

Hi am installing new clutch plate and wondered if there is a specific way of cleaning flywheel and pressure plate before putting back together?

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:19 PM

Your fitting your old pressure plate? O_O Throw it in the bin, and buy a full clutch kit. If the flywheel surface is acceptable, then just use emery cloth. :shades:  :highfive:

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

Your fitting your old pressure plate?

If its still good, you can re use it, all it would need a quick going over with some emery paper and brake/clutch cleaner. I'd obliviously I'd replaced the centre plate though, as it would be daft not to unless it was as new.

#4 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:38 PM

Very important to know what clutch kit you have too/ With the awefull verto units you'll need a balance afterwards too ( if you change the pressure plate).

#5 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

Sorry, but I disagree. I would never fit a new clutch to any car, without buying/fitting the full kit. :shy:

#6 crn1969

crn1969

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm a bit of a novice .I thought I could just replace clutch plate? What is the reason I would have to replace pressure plate? It is a verto clutch .flywheel surface seems in good condition as does surface of pressure plate.also getting conflicting advice on whether balancing is required?

#7 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

There is no conflicting info imho. Rover and minispares say: balance it
Some people who 'got away without it' say you don't have to.
Not too long ago a forum member did not balance his clutch afterwards, ended up taking it out to balance it.. I think the conclusion is fairly clear

#8 crn1969

crn1969

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

Is balancing a job for a garage or engineering shop? What do they actually do when balancing? is it similar to balancing a wheel ie add weights to certain places?

#9 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

Is balancing a job for a garage or engineering shop? What do they actually do when balancing? is it similar to balancing a wheel ie add weights to certain places?

You remove weight in certain places.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

Of course you can just change the driven clutch plate. For example, if you have an expensive competition clutch and the plate needs to be changed after every few races or rallies you just fit a new driven plate. Clean everything back with Brake & Clutch Cleaner and re-assemble.

#11 crn1969

crn1969

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for advice much appreciated.

#12 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:52 PM

Of course you can just change the driven clutch plate. For example, if you have an expensive competition clutch and the plate needs to be changed after every few races or rallies you just fit a new driven plate. Clean everything back with Brake & Clutch Cleaner and re-assemble.

Back when I fist bought my mini a previous owner had paid a garage to fit a brand new clutch, what they failed to replace though was the flywheel/crankshaft oil seal, daft not to while its all off. But clutch centre places obviously don't like being covered in oil and after a brake cleaning off, that was the only part that need replacing. So going by the advice I should have replaced the whole lot. But then the other stupid advice I was given at the time was to buy and fit a complete second-hand engine, as it was cheaper than replacing the clutch.

Obviously if your worn the clutch plate down to the rivets and its badly scored or has excessively worn or broken fingers then its scrap.

Edited by 1984mini25, 13 February 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#13 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

You may want to think about replacing the clutch release bearing as well while you've got it all in bits!

It also a good time to strip and check the clutch arm ball, clevis pin and the plunger that the release bearing sits on and re-grease it all before re-assembly. 

Cheers, Steve.

#14 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

You may want to think about replacing the clutch release bearing as well while you've got it all in bits!

If it feels and sound ok being spun by hand, I'd personally leave it, as the quality of some new parts...  

#15 crn1969

crn1969

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

Ok is there a particular way of removing oil seal ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users