15 replies to this topic

#1 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

A few years back the rear quarter panel was hit inline with the wheel arch flange. At the time I just replaced the plastic wheel arch and a few years later 'fixed' it by skimming it in filler.

But now the front end has been replaced and a few other areas tided up, I'd prefer to fix it properly this time as the filler round the wheel arch screws has cracked. I'm a little confused at how to pull it back out with out having to replace the quarter panel, as the rear seat bulkhead is right in the way.

This is just about the only clear picture I can find, pre filler fix, obviously I'll know just how bad it is (and any rot) once all the filler has been removed.

24892287351_d976c883f3_c.jpg

Edited by 1984mini25, 12 February 2016 - 10:28 PM.

#2 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

Looks like you may be able to access it from inside. The rear seat panel only restricts about an inch of it and is not actually joined to the quarter panel.

If not you can pull it out with various tools. Old school is drill holes, self tappers and use a slide hammer, newer is weld tabs and pull it or you may be able to glue a series of pegs on and pull it out....take a look on YouTube and you will see some diy suggestions that work well. I've had success with a sets of 25mm round wood lengths about 100mm long - you use a hot glue gun and glue them on then pull the panel back out. Sounds like it will fail but it really does work and costs pence.

Trick with pulling out dents is to try and think how the dent was formed and do the reverse.

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

It's not just the dent in the quarter panel though. But its also pushed the wheel arch to quarter panel seam that covered buy the wheel arch in as well. Although I'm thinking if I can find away of pulling that out, the dent in the quarter panel should pop back out with it.

#4 kezzkitkat

kezzkitkat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:43 AM

Depends how bad it is I would have to investigate how straight the vehicle is first .something some people just glance over and repair what they can see on top.
Picture isn't the best to be honest
I'd be looking at new panels maybe a repair quarter or a full quarter, wheel arch , rear repair and boot repair. Fairly simple to do just depending how far it's gone plus there is chance you need more work due to corrosion or other bad repairs .
Quite a strong place to be knocking with a hammer and slide hammer and probably use fair amounts of fillers as you will get bored after most of the day banging about so I'd just replace the panels quicker and neater in my book

#5 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

Depends how bad it is I would have to investigate how straight the vehicle is first .something some people just glance over and repair what they can see on top.

I can't see it having bent it too much, as it's been 'deneted' for the last 6 years or so and haven't noticed any handling issues or tyre wear. It was had the inner rear arches and subframe closing panel replaced not long before it was hit and it's also since had a new subframe due to rot. So it should all just be the panel work, i'll know more once I find a quick way of removing all the fixer from my later 'repair'.

#6 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

It may be very difficult to get it straight and looking good without filler. Quarter panels are not all that expensive. I would suggest that complete replacement, and straightening the wheelarch etc while it is off, may be the quickest way if you are able to weld it yourself.

Basically, cutting and welding are faster than metal-bashing, in many cases.

#7 kezzkitkat

kezzkitkat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

Well your good to go I suppose. Panels are fairly cheap just how much time you have as it won't be a quick fix and I'd consider other areas if it needs eg mechanical and etc

#8 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:37 AM

Ignoring the rot in the bottom corner, hears so better pics now I've dug out all the filler used to make it 'look' straight.

27231674493_957cd13895_c.jpg

27583426890_82059e2a80_c.jpg

27583426330_2b506e9e5c_c.jpg

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

Although i admire what you have done it may have paid you to replace the quarter panel as i can see other bits in there that will need sorting.

#10 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

I was told also rule of thumb if you are repairing more then 1 area on a rear quarter replace the whole thing it's actually easier. Wish I had done mine instead of using the bottom repair panels.

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Although i admire what you have done it may have paid you to replace the quarter panel as i can see other bits in there that will need sorting.

Which bits if you don't mind me asking?

As I currently plan on replacing the doorstep along with bottom half of the rear quarter. I'm not sure if I'm using the full doorstep/quarter panel or sections as the repair panel does away with the diagonal overlap seam between the quarter panel and door step, witch will just bug the hell out of me. The end of the closing panel, a section of the inner sill, the inner sill stiffener (half replaced before, but while the access is good I might as well replace in full) and finally the full outer sill.

As I'm slowly working my way round poking the rusty or suspect bits, cleaning them up, welding if needed and prepping in readiness for a planned re-spray, all the while trying to keep the mini drivable at the same time.

Hence why I can't 'just replace the quarter panel' without first having a new panel and any other panels I might need, so its off the road for the shortest possible amount of time.

I've also taken a load of measurements and using a long steel rule comparing both sides, predictably the n/s quarter isn't as straight as it looks either. but from my measurements the wheel arch lips are with 2mm of each other and the o/s quarter has popped outwards along my drawn pencil lines above.

So I've had a go at knocking I back with a rubber mallet and off cut off wood. with at the moment has brought the panel back to about were it should be. it will probably sill need a light skin of filler and the front comer should pull out when the bottom half of the quarter is replaced.

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

In this picture you can see the curved section of the inner arch front close out. That is rusty and will mean its on its last legs. It will also mean there will be rust lurking in the arch to quarter panel seam as well. Just speaking from experience here. 

27231674493_957cd13895_c.jpg

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

I replaced the panel (genuine heritage) your referring to about 9 years ago, so shouldn't be as bad as some.

2184649519_3d9dbbcd35_z.jpg

But as I've got to replace the door step and bottom section of the quarter panel, with this panel.

26957269375_0617491ef6_c.jpg

I'll have full access to repair the end of the close out panel and any other repairs were needed

Edited by 1984mini25, 24 June 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

9 years in mini terms means it will more than likely be on its way out. I cleaned my mates Cooper up in that very same place and we kept cutting back up the quarter panel till we ended up changing it. The rot although in that corner to start with was under the flange joining the quarter to the inner arch. Badly pitted.

#15 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:14 PM

I would also recommend full quarter and you can then get in to everywhere else and make good. I almost only replaced bottom on mine but decided to use full quarter but a magnum panel was only about £30 and made job much easier. For the doorstep on mk3 you really want the heritage panel.
I have repaired with both methods in the past and for the extra £15 it is far easier to remove the lot, looking at that you may end up with replacing wheel tub as well to ensure it lasts.
It really depends how confident you are though but you soon get the hang of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users