CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hi all,

I'm not building a ZCar mini but I am looking to IVA my mini when built. I read that a requirement was a collapsible column so got myself the recommended Fiesta mk3 column. The only think is it seems much longer than the mini one.

See pics below.

So my question is, have I got the correct Fiesta column and how do people use/mount it?

BnPLPG.jpg

MLHZrG.jpg

Edited by CharlieBrown, 22 February 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#2 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:36 PM

That's the same one as we used on Andys minus. Cut it just above the universal joint. This will make it about the same length as the mini column. go on carbuildersolutions website and find a new universal joint with the same splines as a mini rack. Machine the end of your shaft to same shape as the new universal joint so it slides onto the shaft and then bolt and weld the new joint in place.
You only need the one universal joint to get through IVA as it also has a collapsible section.

#3 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

Ah ok, thanks for the reply. I thought the reason for this column is that the lower uj has the same splines as the mini?

How did you mount it, using the Ford mounting points?

Do you have any pics of it fitted?

#4 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:42 PM

I can't remember if the bottom uj unbolts from the column. If it does use this just mounted further up.
I made a mounting bracket that utilised the ford mounting points. Then if you need to change it in the future is a simple bolt on/bolt off job. There might be pics in Andys gsxr minus project thread. I lost all pictures I had when my old laptop went bang.

#5 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

Typically when Zcars fit these columns, they are to make the steering wheel sit at a better angle for the driver. The spline fits straight onto the mini rack. When I fitted one to mine I done away with the black outer part and used 2 bearings to support it. I made a bar with a hoop so I could get one bearing fitted at the top and one fitted at the pedal box where the 2 bolts fit through the shelf. If you look through the build threads you should see what I mean.

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users