#496 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hi Craig, been looking through your thread again, it been great for helping me out on some of the problems that I've come across. I'm at the stage of fitting the ignition coil pack but SC haven't marked the firing order on the coil pack, I noticed that you did a drawing, but was that OK, and where the ignition leads put on the normal A-series firing order sequence. Here's a cheeky wee upside down picture of my engine, bloody I-pad!!
I promise to get a drawing this weekend, if that alright.

Many thanks Craig, your sticker looks awesome.

Edited by 72hump, 20 January 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#497 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

Hi Craig, been looking through your thread again, it been great for helping me out on some of the problems that I've come across. I'm at the stage of fitting the ignition coil pack but SC haven't marked the firing order on the coil pack, I noticed that you did a drawing, but was that OK, and where the ignition leads put on the normal A-series firing order sequence. Here's a cheeky wee upside down picture of my engine, bloody I-pad!!
I promise to get a drawing this weekend, if that alright.

Many thanks Craig, your sticker looks awesome.

managed to nip out to the car -

8EF24BD6-5B5E-4B0D-88DE-755B2DC606C4_zps

#498 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Also thinking about some door roundels 

FC1CFA65-4FBE-48C7-A3DF-971C6CAF8050_zps

#499 Streetscreamer

Streetscreamer

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

Roundel looks ok Craig. Just do it. If you don't like it, you can peel it off easily.

Just a question about the build of your engine (I do build almost the same setup here in Holland, but then with DIY 6 speed sequential gearbox): In the beginning I see you had a pre assembled cilinderblock, am I right? Did you see how the old camshaft is mounted (link to the oil pump). My concern: during dry build I see that the old cam (without lobes now) is just pushed in and then the nice SC cover is put on. However, the inner side of the cover is not really having any blocking to avoid the cam to move outwards, other than the oil seal. In my humble engineers believe this is not ok. Is it also on your engine? Of course the sprocket on the cam can not slide out as it might touch the pully on the crankshaft. But I can not believe this is right. I have sent this question also to John K of SC but did not receive an answer on it yet.

regards and please keep posting!!! (more movies too, make some drive!)

Bart

#500 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Roundel looks ok Craig. Just do it. If you don't like it, you can peel it off easily.

Just a question about the build of your engine (I do build almost the same setup here in Holland, but then with DIY 6 speed sequential gearbox): In the beginning I see you had a pre assembled cilinderblock, am I right? Did you see how the old camshaft is mounted (link to the oil pump). My concern: during dry build I see that the old cam (without lobes now) is just pushed in and then the nice SC cover is put on. However, the inner side of the cover is not really having any blocking to avoid the cam to move outwards, other than the oil seal. In my humble engineers believe this is not ok. Is it also on your engine? Of course the sprocket on the cam can not slide out as it might touch the pully on the crankshaft. But I can not believe this is right. I have sent this question also to John K of SC but did not receive an answer on it yet.

Bart

Bart, I spoke to John regarding that issue, he said to me to use the triangle shaped retaining plate on the end of the original camshaft, it fits in between the SC alloy end plate and the round plate with seal.

#501 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hi Craig, been looking through your thread again, it been great for helping me out on some of the problems that I've come across. I'm at the stage of fitting the ignition coil pack but SC haven't marked the firing order on the coil pack, I noticed that you did a drawing, but was that OK, and where the ignition leads put on the normal A-series firing order sequence. Here's a cheeky wee upside down picture of my engine, bloody I-pad!!I promise to get a drawing this weekend, if that alright.Many thanks Craig, your sticker looks awesome.

managed to nip out to the car -8EF24BD6-5B5E-4B0D-88DE-755B2DC606C4_zps

Cheers Craig, I take it the leads are plugged in as: Number one cylinder at drive end, to Number four at the clutch end.

#502 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Hi Craig, been looking through your thread again, it been great for helping me out on some of the problems that I've come across. I'm at the stage of fitting the ignition coil pack but SC haven't marked the firing order on the coil pack, I noticed that you did a drawing, but was that OK, and where the ignition leads put on the normal A-series firing order sequence. Here's a cheeky wee upside down picture of my engine, bloody I-pad!!I promise to get a drawing this weekend, if that alright.Many thanks Craig, your sticker looks awesome.

Cheers Craig, I take it the leads are plugged in as: Number one cylinder at drive end, to Number four at the clutch end.

Yip just like that 

#503 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Yip just like that 

Also, as i understand 1+3 and 2+4 fire at there same time (maybe someone can confirm) , so you can switch the cables around if you like.

#504 Streetscreamer

Streetscreamer

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

1+3 & 2+4 : nope. just have a look at the shape of your crankshaft: 1st and 4th are up, then 2&3 are down. Static ignition with a DIS coil like this then should have 1+4 and 2+3. There will be always a lost spark then

#505 Streetscreamer

Streetscreamer

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

Bart

Bart, I spoke to John regarding that issue, he said to me to use the triangle shaped retaining plate on the end of the original camshaft, it fits in between the SC alloy end plate and the round plate with seal.

thanks a lot!

#506 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

Its the same as my SC 7 port. Starting at the bottom right its plug lead No1 (water pump end) and works round the coil pack clockwise. i.e. bottom left is No 2 and so on. This is providing you have set up the trigger wheel as per the SC instructions.

#507 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

Firing order on the k head is 1243, rather than the minis 1342, but that still means in wasted spark they are paired 1&4 2&3.

#508 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:55 PM

Firing order on the k head is 1243, rather than the minis 1342, but that still means in wasted spark they are paired 1&4 2&3.

Which is the way I explained it. On wasted spark 1 on the bottom right will fire at the same time as 4 on the top right. The same for 2 and 3. This is as per SC instructions.

#509 Mrstars11

Mrstars11

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

hi craig, 

just spent a good hour catching up on the updates, ive been busy sorting my conversion the past couple of months, and now im finally ready to drop the new engine in.  I have some filter socks but like you i think they will be too big and bulky in the back of the bonnet. 

Im debating drilling a few holes in my bonnet too. so would be good to know if you do go through with it. 

where did you source the mesh covers for your trumpets, they look loads better. 

dom

So the mesh filters arrived today, was bit of a squeeze even fitting them. I will see if i can test the different filters at the rolling road. 

592D78D7-61B8-4872-A782-EAA519B1C52F_zps

F89977B5-5D37-4B78-9808-0ED76147EA69_zps

5BA0525C-FC46-4DFF-9194-F16ED2396F93_zps

#510 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

hi craig, 

just spent a good hour catching up on the updates, ive been busy sorting my conversion the past couple of months, and now im finally ready to drop the new engine in.  I have some filter socks but like you i think they will be too big and bulky in the back of the bonnet. 

Im debating drilling a few holes in my bonnet too. so would be good to know if you do go through with it. 

where did you source the mesh covers for your trumpets, they look loads better. 

dom

So the mesh filters arrived today, was bit of a squeeze even fitting them. I will see if i can test the different filters at the rolling road. 

592D78D7-61B8-4872-A782-EAA519B1C52F_zps

Hi Mate! 

I learned that the single socks aren't too good since they don't leave any space around the mouth of the trumpet. 

The mesh covers also appear not t be the best, due to as i understand the level of turbulence they create. I got them from either merlin motorsport or demon tweaks. 

I am running the ram air double socks. These are real cheap approx 25 pounds for two. I tried these on the rolling road and only lost 2 hp. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)