847 replies to this topic

#676 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

I guess this was the issue with the broken pulley. The half circle key wasn't sitting correctly. It was also seized like that. I remember it being like that when I first fitted the pulley. I didnt know that the key was a separate part, so I just assumed that is how it should be. Didnt actually think much about it.

MWz010d.jpg

Just for the "belt and suspenders" minded like me, I would clean the end of the shaft thoroughly and then put a couple of drops of oil on it and on the key to ensure that the pulley makes it all the way in.

#677 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

So back onto this! I have had a hectic couple of weeks full of teaching, but time to get back to this. I ended top send the pulley back to SC and they secured the ring on. 

I refitted the plate and the new seal, with a smear of RTV around the CAM and keyway (just in case)

mW6uC6q.jpg

The pulley is on and I will retime the cams this weekend. I am sure they haven't moved and I did mark the crankshaft position etc. But it doesn't take that long to do so I will just start from scratch. Originally I had them timed with 1mm of lift, then after some advice from the 16v mini Facebook page i timed them with 2mm of lift. This improved the responsiveness but I felt I lost a little of the low down power, I have decided but this time I maybe set them at 1.5mm. I think about it,,,,

In the mean time, with the weather drawing in, I have started to make some of the "retro" looking signs for my garage dress-up.

I bought some MDF letters from eBay to allow me to knock this up. 

irGFp64.jpg

FYpjjHG.jpg

cc8psIX.jpg

bqrRNVo.jpg

#678 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:08 PM

Hopefully you can get it all sorted quickly.

Your sign turned out really cool! I wonder, could you put a row of strip LED's on the inside of the frame to light it up at nighttime? 

#679 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hopefully you can get it all sorted quickly.

Your sign turned out really cool! I wonder, could you put a row of strip LED's on the inside of the frame to light it up at nighttime? 

I thought of that, but I have some other ideas for illuminated signs. 

#680 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

Garage sign number 2. 

Bought 2 decals online, stuck them and sandwiched them between some perspex. Built a wooden frame, added to LED strip lights and clad it in stainless (used for edging glass bricks). 

Pretty happy. 

4yoZkdm.jpg

tjVpaQr.jpg

QgDoSfe.jpg

pi194GY.jpg

3Cmzdc4.jpg

#681 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

Loving the bmc service sign, what sort of size is it?

#682 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Loving the bmc service sign, what sort of size is it?

Thanks! 

600 x 400

#683 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

Almost back together - 

Cams re-timed tmQ0FBh.jpg

And the cam cover is back on. Maybe get it together next weekend, then take it for an MOT. 

In the meantime I have continued my garage project. Neighbor asked me if I was opening a garage  :shy:

EIgLxDv.jpg

dQO4jcX.jpg

Gonna lay a wooden deck next. 

#684 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:51 PM

Almost back together - 

Cams re-timed tmQ0FBh.jpg

And the cam cover is back on. Maybe get it together next weekend, then take it for an MOT. 

In the meantime I have continued my garage project. Neighbor asked me if I was opening a garage  :shy:

EIgLxDv.jpg

dQO4jcX.jpg

Gonna lay a wooden deck next.

If I was driving past, I would certainly pop in for an engine service

#685 zeemax89

zeemax89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

Loving your thread.  I have a 16v head ready to begin work.  But first I need to finish the bodywork.  

You mini has exactly the stance I an looking for on 10" wheels.  I have purchased some group 4 arches. Can I ask what arches you are running?

Finally got round to applying some door roundels

A7B49E5E-1D8C-41CF-9976-ACA2B40A0F90_zps

40D531A7-21F5-4823-9D10-72BBDF8AC4E6_zps

1DEDACE9-1801-4A75-B9D1-5CFD7AC8F78B_zps

#686 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

Loving your thread.  I have a 16v head ready to begin work.  But first I need to finish the bodywork.  

You mini has exactly the stance I an looking for on 10" wheels.  I have purchased some group 4 arches. Can I ask what arches you are running?

Finally got round to applying some door roundels

A7B49E5E-1D8C-41CF-9976-ACA2B40A0F90_zps

40D531A7-21F5-4823-9D10-72BBDF8AC4E6_zps

1DEDACE9-1801-4A75-B9D1-5CFD7AC8F78B_zps

The arches are called "bullet" arches, the were fitted on the car form the factory/dealer. 

The stance is helped by the large offset wheels ( ET-15)

#687 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

Hi Craig, love your garage signs, did you get your engine running again, just wanted to find out if you noticed any difference in performance after altering your cam timing, as I'm getting close to fitting the engine into my car. Just wanting to find out, as it's easier to do everything out of the car!

#688 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 01:30 PM

Hi Craig, love your garage signs, did you get your engine running again, just wanted to find out if you noticed any difference in performance after altering your cam timing, as I'm getting close to fitting the engine into my car. Just wanting to find out, as it's easier to do everything out of the car!

Just need to get the radiator/fan/coolant back in and the car is good to go. 

Regarding the cam timing I started with 1mm of lift, the car produced good power and torque (this was the figured recommended by SC). Consensus however among the other twin cam guys was 2.4mm of lift, which is what the k1100 would have had. I retimed to this figure and the only difference I could feel was that the power/torque band had moved up the rev range. Whether that is correct or not I don't know that is what it felt like. 

I retimed the cams a couple of weeks ago, I actually just set them to half way between 1mm and 2.4mm (1.7mm) of lift. We see if that makes any difference. I feel now that I have timed the cams a couple of times, It is actually pretty quick to redo it (an afternoon maybe). 

#689 72hump

72hump

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Local Club: IMOG

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:42 PM

Just need to get the radiator/fan/coolant back in and the car is good to go. 

Regarding the cam timing I started with 1mm of lift, the car produced good power and torque (this was the figured recommended by SC). Consensus gower among the other twin cam guys was 2.4mm of lift, which is what the k1100 would have had. I retimed to this figure and the only difference I could feel was that the power/torque band had moved up the rev range. Whether that is correct or not I don't know that is what it felt like. 

I retimed the cams a couple of weeks ago, I actually just set them to half way between 1mm and 2.4mm (1.7mm) of lift. We see if that makes any difference. I feel now that I have timed the cams a couple of times, It is actually pretty quick to redo it (an afternoon maybe).

Cheers Craig, I think I will start at around 1.5mm lift on both cams to see where the power is, don't want to be revving the hell out of her, and I would prefer the power band to be lower down, makes it better for driving on the road.

#690 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:19 PM

Still haven't got this back together. 

I had to replace the springs on my Audi over the weekend. I noticed the car had sank on one side and was shocked to see the spring had snapped.  zfmiNYh.jpg

Not the nicest Job in 1 degrees. Anyway, I managed, was pretty straight forward, thanks to my Goliath of a spring compressor. 

Local garage quoted me 350 quid to replace both springs, so I thought I would give it a go. 

zfmiNYh.jpg

Maybe the mini will get done next weekend.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users