847 replies to this topic

#691 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

I think this is just about to become the most useful thread on the forum for me, just taken delivery of much the same kit from SC has you had, I may be coming to you with some questions before too long ;-)

Great job by the way!

#692 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

I think this is just about to become the most useful thread on the forum for me, just taken delivery of much the same kit from SC has you had, I may be coming to you with some questions before too long ;-)

Great job by the way!

Ask away! 

Happy to pass on any experience and experience from failures.  

#693 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

Great job by the way!

Ask away! 

....and successes.  

#694 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

Great job by the way!

Ask away! 

....and successes.

Haha! Goes without saying  :shy:

#695 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 05:50 PM

one 1/8NPT 3AN hose fitting successfully installed in the head. 

753860FE-8AC6-47FC-BFED-6EA6A50D607B_zps

It was a bit nerve wrecking if I am honest. The hole drilled extremely easily and the tapping the hole was easy also. I added a little plumbers tape to the threads. 

As I screwed it in it got gradually tighter, I guess that is the tapered shape working. So I would call it a success. 

Did you just drill this by hand? going to have to do the same on mine, I can see why it was nerve wrecking! How did you go about flushing it out after you'd drilled it? I'm guessing just an air hose isn't going to do the job as swarf may still get stuck in the assembly lube that's knocking around....

#696 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

one 1/8NPT 3AN hose fitting successfully installed in the head. 

753860FE-8AC6-47FC-BFED-6EA6A50D607B_zps

It was a bit nerve wrecking if I am honest. The hole drilled extremely easily and the tapping the hole was easy also. I added a little plumbers tape to the threads. 

As I screwed it in it got gradually tighter, I guess that is the tapered shape working. So I would call it a success. 

Did you just drill this by hand? going to have to do the same on mine, I can see why it was nerve wrecking! How did you go about flushing it out after you'd drilled it? I'm guessing just an air hose isn't going to do the job as swarf may still get stuck in the assembly lube that's knocking around....

Yes with a hand drill, I was pooing my pants! I had never tapped a hole before either. A steep learning curve. 

If I remember correctly, I didnt have the camshafts in place, so no sticky assembly lube. 

I flushed it with oil a few times and used cotton buds.

If I were to do it again, I probably would not tap the hole as deep. The fitting is a taper fit, so you should only go as deep as the taper.  

#697 alchall

alchall

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

Actually looking again at mine I think it's already tapped to the correct size, going to get some fittings ordered for the oil hoses so I guess I'll find out when they turn up....

#698 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

I had a moment of madness and cut the bottom pipe on the radiator a bit shorter, to make it easier to drop in. this meant I cut the "rolled" edge off and the lower hose would stay on any more.   :shy: :shy:  :shy:

I bought a new one from eBay (chinese alloy radiator), gotta stay the welding on the new one was much worse that on the old and that wasn't the neatest. It is in and plumbed in though. I added a thicker fan spacer also. 

Spent some time over christmas on the car. Car runs, but I ran out of coolant, so i need to get some. 

Also took the opportunity of being off work and not really having anything to do (well I did drill 4 100mm holes in the house to add ventilation ducts, that was scary)

I decided to tidy up the wiring behind the grill, it was true mess. Have started to strip back and shorten some wires. Much of the mess was caused by the spot lamp wiring, which means a double really and 2 inline fuses, which made it very untidy. that is all tidied up.

The spot lamps were bugging me, in the fact that I had only used bullet connectors, this made it a real pain to remove and refit the spots. So I have fitted some quick connectors and tidied the wiring with some sleeve.  

q4Du6JB.jpg

#699 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:54 PM

Looking good, wiring is one of those things you can't scrimp on as it comes back to haunt you and infuriate you! Keep up the work :)

#700 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

New cam belt on, radiator burped. 

And running again. 

Cat fitted again for a MOT next week. 

#701 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

sounds lovely

#702 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Got it out today, Not the easiest to drive in the cold and wet, but I fell back in love with that little car!

HXnR2H5.jpg

fjr6nEf.jpg

cJUEJik.jpg

#703 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:31 PM

Any carb icing?

#704 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

Any carb icing?

Despite the wintery look in the picture, it was actually 1 plus degrees out. I only drove around the village and a quick blast on a b road. 

Didn't dare anything else on the A032 tyres. A long time since I have driven in the cold without studded or m&S tyres, I don't know how people dare.  Granted the A032 aren't "normal" tyres. 

#705 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:06 AM

carb icing tends not to be an issue on injection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users