Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

carb icing tends not to be an issue on injection.

I know its not a big problem but can occur The main types of icing fall into three catagories.

1. Impact Ice. This is formed by the impact of moist air at temperatures between -10°C and 0°C on air scoops, throttle plates, heat valves, etc. It usually forms whith visible moisture such as rain, snow, sleet. Most rapid accumulation can be anticipated at -4°C. This type of icing can affect fuel injection systems as well as carburettor systems and is also the main type of icing hazard for turbocharged engines.

2. Fuel Ice. This forms at, and downstream from, the point that fuel is introduced into the ITB or carburettor when the moisture content of the air freezes as a result of the cooling caused by fuel vaporisation.

3. Throttle Ice. This is the most common and causes the most problems. It is formed at or near a partly closed throttle valve (sometimes called the “butterfly valve”). The water vapour in the induction air condenses and freezes due to the venturi effect cooling the air as it passes the throttle valve. Since the temperature drop is usually around 3°C, the optimum temperature for forming throttle ice is between 0°C to +3°C although a combination of fuel and throttle ice could occur at higher ambient temperatures.

#707 Mrstars11

Mrstars11

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Hi craig, 

Hows the engine running now? faced with my own fair share of issues again. 

which has ended up with the engine coming back out, im starting again. full strip down and rebuild.  :ohno:

seems as though the thrust washers have gone. so the engine needed to come out anyway. So ive decided im going to strip it completey, and check over everything as i bought it as a second hand engine, so pistons, con rods, cams, all seals and gaskets etc etc. Its an excuse to buy some more shiny bits i suppose also. 

I did manage to get about 35 miles out of the car before it was dead again though. haha 

#708 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 3,690 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Hi craig, 

Hows the engine running now? faced with my own fair share of issues again. 

which has ended up with the engine coming back out, im starting again. full strip down and rebuild.  :ohno:

seems as though the thrust washers have gone. so the engine needed to come out anyway. So ive decided im going to strip it completey, and check over everything as i bought it as a second hand engine, so pistons, con rods, cams, all seals and gaskets etc etc. Its an excuse to buy some more shiny bits i suppose also. 

I did manage to get about 35 miles out of the car before it was dead again though. haha 

Oh sorry to hear!

I haven't really had the chance to road test it. but certainly looks like it is now oil tight, 

#709 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 3,690 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:53 AM

And..... MOT'd

Not a single point

YutlHxC.jpg

#710 MacGyver

MacGyver

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

And..... MOT'd

Not a single point

YutlHxC.jpg

So sorry you didn't get any points... 😭

Nice car you have! Better luck next time! 😂

#711 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

Cannot believe the bad luck you've had with this Craig. Fingers crossed this is it. The garage is looking great!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares