Photo
- - - - -

Wing Mounted Mini Solenoid To Metro Combined Starter Motor/solenoid.

Best Answer cambiker71 , 05 March 2016 - 10:25 PM

Yup exactly, the little wire on the wing mounted solenoid starts everything in motion, saves any mods just a simple small jumper cable. :D Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Howie1000

Howie1000

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club and Mini7

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

Good evening guys,

I know this question has been asked many times, even on a previous thread by me, however there seems to be an argument between the ways of doing it. And I require the answer in an idiot proof format, so I've attached a photo.

My mini's standard/original solenoid is mounted on the inner wing in the engine bay as per normal.
I have a metro 1275 engine with the combined starter motor/solenoid.

Looking into the ways of doing it, I'd like to wire it in the way that is effectively using my mini wing mounted solenoid as the relay for the starter motor mounted solenoid on the metro engine.

Can someone please tell me going from my diagram, how I would do it?

I'm aware there are several ways, but it seems the majority of people have said the way I've mentioned above is the safer way and will protect the ignition system from overload. I've no idea what terminals or posts to attach things too, do I bridge something on the metro starter solenoid or run an extended ignition wire from the mini wing mounted solenoid down to the metro starter solenoid? Attached File  image.jpeg   47.72K   74 downloads

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

The easiest way is to run 16g cable or greater from the battery terminal on the wing to the battery terminal on the starter. Then extend the trigger wire from the wing to the starter.

Then all your aux electrics work as before and you trigger the stater solinoid as it is needed.

#3 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Local Club: Cambscustomclassics.com

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

Forget changing lots of wiring, you need one crimp on connector to fit the metro starter solenoid and one eyelet crimp on connector to fit the starters battery connection and about an inch of wire.
Then connect the metro starters battery connection to the exciter connection and bolt the wire from the solenoid on the wing to the starter in the same way as the old mini starter, when the solenoid is switched it will power up the new metro starter too.
Connect as the red marker. Done lots like this. Dead easy.

solonoid_mod.jpg

Edited by cambiker71, 28 August 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#4 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

Erm actually all you need to do is take the existing main cable off the starter solenoid in the wing and fit to the other main terminal on the same starter solenoid thus connecting the main battery feed cable to the new starter solenoid and as Nicklouse says keeping all your existing power to fuses etc....  then extend the starter wire, this is the trigger wire that currently goes to the old solenoid and extend it to the new solenoid.

This way you only have the use of one starter solenoid instead of both.

Edited by MRA, 05 March 2016 - 08:47 PM.

#5 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

No wire extensions or mods needed at all my way, much simpler, some people just bend the exciter terminal over.
Easy to change back in the future too because nothing has been changed.

Edited by cambiker71, 05 March 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#6 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

No wire extensions or mods needed at all my way, much simpler, some people just bend the exciter terminal over.
Easy to change back in the future too because nothing has been changed.

I'm failing to see how your way even works ?  in your picture would the WH/RD wire be there on your mod ?  if not then surely you are driving the starter motor before it has had chance to engage ?

#7 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

No, the wh rd wire would be only there if it was originally a pre engaged set up.
My way of wiring means there is only the battery cable as original to the normal pre engaged connection plus a jumper cable from there to the exciter.
When power is supplied from the wing mounted solenoid it provides power to the normal place and because the exciter is joined to there too it starts the pre engaged starter solenoid in the normal way too.
My last mini was wired like that, used daily for over 5 years and about 60,000 miles!

#8 MRA

MRA

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

No, the wh rd wire would be only there if it was originally a pre engaged set up.
My way of wiring means there is only the battery cable as original to the normal pre engaged connection plus a jumper cable from there to the exciter.
When power is supplied from the wing mounted solenoid it provides power to the normal place and because the exciter is joined to there too it starts the pre engaged starter solenoid in the normal way too.
My last mini was wired like that, used daily for over 5 years and about 60,000 miles!

Ok I got it now, so even though the black main cable in your photo is powered it can't do anything till the little wire is powered and this is directly from the solenoid on the wing ?  makes sense it is another way of doing the same job.

#9 cambiker71

cambiker71

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:25 PM   Best Answer

Yup exactly, the little wire on the wing mounted solenoid starts everything in motion, saves any mods just a simple small jumper cable. :D

#10 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

The other thing achieved by Cambiker's method is that you do not put undo load on the ignition switch.  Later cars like the Metro had a starter relay to prevent the switch damage.  

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

I do like that but as with the metro you have more things to fault check if things go wrong.

#12 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:28 AM

Well, the two "right" ways to make the change is to either install a starter relay or use the wing solenoid as a starter relay.  You end up with the same number of parts to troubleshoot either way.  Fail to use the relay or the wing solenoid and you are likely to end up with burned ignition switch contacts.

#13 Howie1000

Howie1000

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club and Mini7

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

So just to clarify (although the remote solenoid in the pic is mine, the one on my car is where it should be and is wired up correctly for a mini)

Might need to refer to my pic in the first message above.

- I'm leaving the mini's existing solenoid as it is.
- Connect 1 on remote solenoid to 5 on pre-engaged.
- Connect large spade 4 to post 5 on pre-engaged.

And this way will effectively use my mini existing solenoid to fire up the pre-engaged and act almost as a relay would do on later cars.

Is that it?

Many thanks for your advice and help

#14 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

Yes.  You've got it.  1 to 5 and 4 to 5.  That will use your wing solenoid just like it was a starter relay on a later car.

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

I've got a question here;-

Do these particular starter motors work with the earlier 'smash and grab' type ring gears or do they use a different one?

Forget changing lots of wiring, you need one crimp on connector to fit the metro starter solenoid and one eyelet crimp on connector to fit the starters battery connection and about an inch of wire.
Then connect the metro starters battery connection to the exciter connection and bolt the wire from the solenoid on the wing to the starter in the same way as the old mini starter, when the solenoid is switched it will power up the new metro starter too.
Connect as the red marker. Done lots like this. Dead easy.
sketch-1457206997332.jpg

I've retro fitted many of our cars with a Japanese Starter Motor and on the Wife's Moke, that's more or less how I did it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users