#16 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

I'd also love to know about carb tuning for a specific fuel and how that works!  If someone can point me to some actual evidence I'd love to read it.

It doesn't. If the engine has the standard compression ratio then it will make no difference. Any real gains will purely be a fluke.

I use Shell v-power due to the cleaning agents within the fuel. That is the only reason.

#17 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:40 PM

A fast road mini with a well built motor running more than about 9.5:1 compression ration will likely benefit from using 99 octane fuel such as Shell V-Power.

But ignition timing and advance curve will need to be optimised to give best power.

#18 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

I'd also love to know about carb tuning for a specific fuel and how that works!  If someone can point me to some actual evidence I'd love to read it.

It doesn't. If the engine has the standard compression ratio then it will make no difference. Any real gains will purely be a fluke.

I use Shell v-power due to the cleaning agents within the fuel. That is the only reason.

Probably should have said that I was being a tad sarcastic, but hey that's the joys of writing in forums!

#19 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:07 PM

Probably should have said that I was being a tad sarcastic, but hey that's the joys of writing in forums!

I'd gathered. My reply was tongue in cheek.

#20 Nu2mini

Nu2mini

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

Here's an interesting evidential report for the techies to ponder.

I have a 93 SPI which I always run on Super Unleaded, mainly Shell. The fueling system is well maintained and the ECU keeps everything in tune. Following a full weekends driving I was returning home last night and the garage I chose had run out of super so I put £20 (16 litres) of normal unleaded in to fill her up and off I went. I hadn't got more than 3 or 4 miles down the road before all hell broke loose. The car started to Kangaroo and back fire violently. It refused to pull at all in 4th and was reluctant in 3rd. It was constantly missing and looking in danger of needing some roadside assistance. I was some how still able to keep it going and gradually it started to recover. It took a good 5 miles before it really ran smooth again. Once it had got used to the new mix it ran back home (70 miles) without a problem. 

I think this supports the view that Super unleaded DOES make a difference. In this case the car was able to re-tune itself to tolerate the inferior mix. 

I'll be returning to SUPER Unleaded POST HASTE.

#21 Mr Dave

Mr Dave

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:18 PM

Here's an interesting evidential report for the techies to ponder.

I have a 93 SPI which I always run on Super Unleaded, mainly Shell. The fueling system is well maintained and the ECU keeps everything in tune. Following a full weekends driving I was returning home last night and the garage I chose had run out of super so I put £20 (16 litres) of normal unleaded in to fill her up and off I went. I hadn't got more than 3 or 4 miles down the road before all hell broke loose. The car started to Kangaroo and back fire violently. It refused to pull at all in 4th and was reluctant in 3rd. It was constantly missing and looking in danger of needing some roadside assistance. I was some how still able to keep it going and gradually it started to recover. It took a good 5 miles before it really ran smooth again. Once it had got used to the new mix it ran back home (70 miles) without a problem. 

I think this supports the view that Super unleaded DOES make a difference. In this case the car was able to re-tune itself to tolerate the inferior mix. 

I'll be returning to SUPER Unleaded POST HASTE.

Again ethanol content could be a factor I guess - the oxygen in the ethanol affects the required AFR, so the injection quantity required would be different. Also, although I have little experience of SPI, I believe that the injector sprays onto the butterfly valve - ethanol has different vaporisation characteristics so may act differently in this condition.

Alternatively, given the short duration of the issue he could have run the tank really low and drawn tank crud into the pipes ‍♂️

#22 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:19 AM

MEMS has a slight learning characteristic in its ability. Its adjustments from the previous burn's AFR will be used in the regular unleaded and can run poorly for a while. Yours sounds like it has spat its dummy out at it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users